Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 47,147 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Columbia from NY, and I was wondering what are some good restaurants and bars in the downtown area? My friend (who's also from NY) and I are in our mid 20's and are looking for places to go on the weekends, but we would like to avoid venues that are stricly "college" hang outs. However, we are both in the education field, so places that offer happy hour deals or other specials would be favorable.

On an unrelated note, what are the major grocery chains in the Columbia area?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:06 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,170 times
You'll have a blast trying out bars and restaurants downtown and finding what atmosphere/crowd you like best.

You'll hear the two main nightlife districts are the Vista and Five Points, and that Five Points is more the college-age crowd and the Vista more the young prof'l/older crowd. I've found this to be generally true. I'd recommend Flying Saucer and Liberty Taproom in the Vista--both very popular, Liberty is both a restaurant and a large bar and Saucer is a large bar that usually has music on weekends. As young prof'l types we would go down to Five Points too from time to time--you may want to check out Harpers which is a very popular Columbia restaurant in Five Points. We go in the summer for trivia out on the deck.

You'll find a lot of college bars in Five Points, some more nicer restaurants that also have bars in the Vista. Another Vista restaurant I'd recommend is Blue Marlin for nice-casual. There are also tapas places and wine bars in the Vista that you'd probably like.

As for grocery stores, you sound like a Publix girl. They are all over Columbia area, very popular and by far the nicest stores (and here's a secret I found: people from the North usually lean towards Publix).

Other chains: Bi-Lo (my runner-up), Piggly Wiggly, Kroger, Food Lion

Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Hennessey's at Main and Blanding, Hampton Vineyard on Hampton between Main and Sumter, Posh in the Hilton at Main and Washington, Mac's on Main near Blanding, Hunter-Gatherer at Main and College Street, Villa Tronco on Blanding between Main and Sumter, Blue Marlin on Lincoln Street in the Vista, Saluda's overlooking the Five Points fountain...and on and on. There are lots to choose from. I'd google restaurants Columbia SC and see what pops up.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM

480 posts, read 878,281 times
I've only been her a couple of months, but three restaurants I really enjoyed are Gervais & Vine (tapas, in the Vista, nice patio); Mr. Friendly's (new Southern cuisine, in Five Points, no reservations accepted); and The Gourmet Shop Cafe (for lunch, in Five Points, try the One, One & One--your choice of three cold salads). I believe both entertainment districts have special events on Thursday nights (Vista After 5 and Five Points After 5).

Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM

658 posts, read 1,894,164 times
An important thing to remember about the night life in Columbia is that it really doesn't get going until midnight, and in some cases after that. So, if you head out at 9:00pm and expect to find a hopping scene that might not always be the case.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:46 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
NYG, what kind of cuisine do you like? I eat out all the time.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:48 AM

17 posts, read 47,147 times
Waccamatt,

I like Thai food. I also am looking for places where I can just have a nice salad and soup.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Lots of places have those. Cafe Strudel in West Columbia comes to mind. D's Wings in Cayce, also. Salad and soup are all over the place.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:07 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,411 times
The best combo for me is baked potato soup and salad at California Dreaming.

Good stuff there.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkergirl View Post
Waccamatt,

I like Thai food. I also am looking for places where I can just have a nice salad and soup.
There is a soup man in Russell House at USC that is open to the public. No Zoup for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area