U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 AM

21 posts, read 70,485 times

Advertisements

Trying to make up my mind where to move. Tired of the climate in the pacific northwest but I feel that I must know that the place I decide to move to isn't suffering from a horrible local economy. That's why I've allready ruled out California completely.

The weather in South Carolina looks great from what I've researched. Other than I must admit I don't know much of anything about the area.

So if anybody wants to give me their take on the local economy, job market, poverty levels, overall quality of living there, etc. that would be awesome.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:41 AM

7,330 posts, read 5,893,841 times
It's a mixed bag. If you're job-hunting you'll need to be focused, and it would pay to have something employers can't pass up. The industries that continue to do well nationwide are doing fine here: health care for instance.

The quality of life is what you make it. If you have no reason to go into neighborhoods where underprivileged-on-underprivileged crime takes place, or if you don't associate with any hot-headed rednecks in the country that some suburbs have infiltrated, your quality of life should be great.

The arts, college sports, clubs, good library systems, etc., make SC's largest cities attractive. Research school districts and schools if you have children, just as you need to do anywhere, and you'll be pleased with the choices.

As of June the unemployment rates for the largest three metros were: Greenville 11, Charleston 10.2 and Columbia 10. Compare that to: Charlotte 12.4 and Atlanta 10.7. I read a report yesterday that predicts SC's jobs will return to peak levels in 2012. Compare that to 2013 for NC. The push statewide is to attract clean, green and knowledge-based companies and to raise the per capita income.

Except for a few weeks of sultry, humid weather this time of year, for which air-conditioning was invented, the climate is great! Snow is here today, gone by noon, when it comes.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Status: "OK, winter can end any day now! ;)" (set 27 days ago)

3,253 posts, read 4,235,599 times
I would highly suggest a visit as part of the research. In addition to all the "internet based" we did on a spot to relocate to from WI, we came down and spent 8 days checking out the area as well. We had a couple days to check out spots for potential home locations ( we used a realtor for that--a huge help even if renting at first ). We took a day trip to Charleston, checked out the zoo in Columbia, the lake, etc.... all things we would do if we lived here. Our move was based on weather--couldn't handle the extreme winters anymore. We brought our jobs so that wasn't part of the equation.
Again, while sites like this can be a big overall help to narrow down some potential markets, there is nothing like spending time in the area itself.
As for us, we love it here.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:21 PM

I want to ask south carolinians a question... as far as the "rednecks"...are they worse than the gangs or what? I am a west coast boy born and raised in california and washingon...but I've been around the block and I know my way around...so are these guys complete *******s or what? Will they spot me as being an outsider and kick my ass on sight?

Are they mean like a dog? I mean i am just trying to imagine because I am a little bit afraid being a west coast guy heading to the south... I have met people from the south here in seattle and they were kind of stubborn to say the least...is everybody like that down there?

I'm not a wimp but...it its too much of a culture clash than I probably shouldn't move there.. keep in mind I am conservative (but not religious). The thing is I don't want any problems with locals...I respect you guys but I hope they are nice....jeez I am a bit worried now

Old 08-08-2009, 06:28 PM

5,005 posts, read 8,537,818 times
If you live in the city you won't come across many rednecks. I think people in small towns and rural areas everywhere tend to be more wary of newcomers.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:35 PM

7,330 posts, read 5,893,841 times
A redneck won't hurt you. They only hurt each other.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:50 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,911 times
You will never find a friendlier state than South Carolina. Rednecks will be the least of your concerns here and if you are really fortunate you might make friends with a few of them. That is if you can identify them in the crowd.

But should someone with your level of prejudices move here? Wouldn't you be happier in San Fransisco or somewhere similar?

Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,564,164 times
Quote:
Are they mean like a dog?
If you come to SC, and if you lighten up just a little, and if you don't get caught up in the vino tasting crowd, and if you're very lucky, you just might happen to meet a few rednecks who feel bad for you and are willing to show you the real SC and why so many natives refuse to live anywhere else.

On the other hand, if you come to our cities, spend your time downtown associating only with folks who look like, dress like, talk like, and act like big city folks, you'll find yourself in a sterile environment that's just like any other city in the US. The only difference will be that it's hot as hell here in the summer. Heat & humidity are the only weapons we have left against the yankee invasion. Well, actually that's not counting the mosquitoes, alligators and snakes, but you'll need to befriend a redneck if you want to learn about those.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittle24 View Post
Wow, you are a loser! I hope if you come here the "rednecks" beat the crap out of you! Yeah, they are known to stand on the street corners asking people if the are locals, and if you're not...watch out!
funny

why the sarcasm? please tell me.

Last edited by captain_blade; 08-08-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
If you come to SC, and if you lighten up just a little, and if you don't get caught up in the vino tasting crowd, and if you're very lucky, you just might happen to meet a few rednecks who feel bad for you and are willing to show you the real SC and why so many natives refuse to live anywhere else.

On the other hand, if you come to our cities, spend your time downtown associating only with folks who look like, dress like, talk like, and act like big city folks, you'll find yourself in a sterile environment that's just like any other city in the US. The only difference will be that it's hot as hell here in the summer. Heat & humidity are the only weapons we have left against the yankee invasion. Well, actually that's not counting the mosquitoes, alligators and snakes, but you'll need to befriend a redneck if you want to learn about those.
I'm not worried about alligators and snakes. I love em actually.

Last edited by captain_blade; 08-08-2009 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area