Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 AM

8 posts, read 18,586 times

Advertisements

Long story short, after spending 10 years living in Orlando, and then moving back to DC/Baltimore MD area last year, we can no longer stand the cold weather and general rudeness of people up north, as well as the outrageous costs of living we incur, and we (myself, my fiance and 8 yr old daughter) are seriously considering moving to the Columbia area in the 1st quarter of '10...

Are there any areas that are pretty "artsy" - with art galleries, hip bars and restaurants, etc - that are also considered safe (low crime levels) and have good schools, and of course reasonably priced ($800 to 1200/month range)...?? We're a family of artists/musicians, and are looking for an environment that would help inspire our creative juices and put us around other like minded neighbors....

We are looking more for single family homes (rentals) and not apartments/condos, and I just want to know what areas to avoid and what areas to look around in... If yall can provide zip codes of them, that would help too so I can check crime levels and sex offender registries and what not when i do my searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 AM

12,871 posts, read 18,724,745 times
Shandon, Rosewood and Five Points are what you describe. They are zoned for Dreher High School and its feeder schools, a good choice for a diverse setting and strong academics.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 18,586 times
thanx! what are the zip codes for those particular areas???

Old 09-10-2009, 10:28 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,552,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternateearth View Post
thanx! what are the zip codes for those particular areas???
29205 and 29201.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,998 times
high was wanting to know what are the great nice newer family friendly neighborhoods, w restau., shopping, & top element school here in columbia sc that are within 15-20min. to ft jackson? thanks for any advise

Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,442,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jee1980 View Post
high was wanting to know what are the great nice newer family friendly neighborhoods, w restau., shopping, & top element school here in columbia sc that are within 15-20min. to ft jackson? thanks for any advise
Far out in Northeast (Spring Valley HS area), and the previous post described a good part of the city near to and around Dreher HS. Hand Middle is over that way, and is considered pretty good.

Closer to Jackson would be Forest Acres, and that town/city has both a good HS and middle school. Jackson's gate at I-77 is mere minutes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: