Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM

480 posts, read 878,207 times

Advertisements

I have some vegetarian family members coming for a visit this weekend, and their lone request was that we go to an Indian buffet. Is Delhi Palace (at I-20 and Broad River Road) good, or is there another Indian buffet you'd recommend?

I read a few online reviews of Delhi Palace and basically got the impression that while the outside of the building is a bit run-down, the inside is very nice and, more importantly, the food and service are very good.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 PM

316 posts, read 975,910 times
There is also an Indian place with a buffet on Devine Street in 5 Points.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:08 PM

480 posts, read 878,207 times
I thought about going to that one (India Pavilion, right?) It's closer to home, but I saw a few bad reviews online. Someone mentioned in one review that the competition might be posting the bad reviews.

Have you been there personally? How was it?

Thanks so much.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 6,950 times
Sometimes people get mad for a particular incident and put a bad review. So, you can ignore odd bad ones and look at the general trend. But take it from me, as for my personal experience here are the top two Indian restaurant in columbia:
Punjabi Dhaba
1201 Bush River Rd
Columbia, SC 29210-7533
(803) 798-8011

bombay grill
boozer shopping center
245 bush river road, Columbia, SC 29210
(803) 772-5121

They are on opposite sides of dutch square mall.

Here is my review of both of them:
Panjabi Dhaba has greatest variety and the food is great. There are frequent parties there for indian community of about 100 people. So you can trust that people will not go there such a big investment if they are bad.
The Bombay grill is new and the quality of the food on the menu is slightly better than Panjabi Dhaba. But their buffet does not have the variety like Panjabi dhaba. Sometimes a little pricey and qulity is little inferior to their menu items. The Bombay Grille is Charlotte and Atlanta is superb and they are probably trying to get one here. If you order menu items, this one is great.
So without getting confused by different views, it is better to give either of those a shot.
By the way, the india pavilion or whatever that is in the downtown five points is probably the worst indian restaurant I have seen all over us(I travela lot and always look for indian restaurants in different cities).
Hoe it helps.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 PM

316 posts, read 975,910 times
I've been to the India Pavilian a few times and it was good everytime I was there. I have not been to the other spot you mentioned, but that's not to say it's not good, I just haven't been.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
I've been to both India Pavilion and Delhi Palace and both have been good, but it has been awhile. I don't know if either has a buffet, though. I prefer ordering off the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area