Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times

Advertisements

You can get something like that not in a subdivision that would probably work. I think it would be a much better fit if I correctly picture what you want in my mind. Wildewood has some of the larger lots in that price range, or maybe Ashley Oaks but I really think you'll have to make either sacrifices in what you want in the subdivision or buy something not in a subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:54 AM

8 posts, read 25,012 times
Hi Scrubbybear, We had not heard of Lugoff, we will take a look. Hi Brandon, Thanks for the info. What are the pros and cons of living in a subdivision in SC? Are there association fees? We would not be interested in having access to a community pool or tennis courts. We are looking for an area with walking/biking trails.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower999 View Post
Hi Scrubbybear, We had not heard of Lugoff, we will take a look. Hi Brandon, Thanks for the info. What are the pros and cons of living in a subdivision in SC? Are there association fees? We would not be interested in having access to a community pool or tennis courts. We are looking for an area with walking/biking trails.
HOA fees vary per subdivision and amenities. In NE Columbia you have Sesquicentenial Park and in Irmo you have Harbison State Forest. While you may not have those amenities in many subdivisions, you have plenty of subdivisions that are a convenient distance to those things. Pros are probably same as anywhere as are the cons. HOA C&R, fees, more people around, typically smaller lots starting around.25 acres +.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
HOA fees vary per subdivision and amenities. In NE Columbia you have Sesquicentenial Park and in Irmo you have Harbison State Forest. While you may not have those amenities in many subdivisions, you have plenty of subdivisions that are a convenient distance to those things. Pros are probably same as anywhere as are the cons. HOA C&R, fees, more people around, typically smaller lots starting around.25 acres +.
Hi Brandon, Thanks for this info, we do not have subdivisions is our area so this is new to us. Does any one else have any experiences living in one of the sub divisions in the Columbia area?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Brandon, Thanks for this info, we do not have subdivisions is our area so this is new to us. Does any one else have any experiences living in one of the sub divisions in the Columbia area?
Ahh, now I understand a little more. Most of Columbia is suburban and features planned unit developments where a builder buys a tract of land and builds it out. They usually break the larger parcel up and build on .25-.50 acre lots per home. They have covenants and restrictions that usually state things like residential use only, no farm animals, only build a certain kind of fence, no parking on the street, etc.

I highly recommend a visit to Columbia and just get a Realtor to give you a driving tour of the area so you can see for yourself what your options will be. I have a buyer agent that does this regularly for relocations, doesn't cost anything. Matter of fact, many Realtors would be willing to give you a Columbia tour at no charge, but it's still good to check out these forums and get other opinions as well.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Quote:
There are plenty of real neighborhoods in Columbia where you wouldn't have to live in a subdivision, also, if that is your preference.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,018 times
Quote:
Our family: husband, wife and two lab's will be relocating to the Columbia area due to a sudden job transfer. We are looking for a 2,000 sq ft house situated on 1-3 acres of land. We plan to use the land for growing organic fruits/vegetables and plan to use solar/wind turbine power as much as possible. We currently live in a rural area outside Boston with quite a few farms. We have great neighbors, the area is quiet with a low crime rate. We live right right next to conservation land and love walking our dogs daily off lead. We will only have a brief visit to house hunt this November(3-4 days) and need some help to narrow our focus to 4-5 neighborhoods. We would appreciate any suggestions for what towns/neighborhoods would best fit our profile. We would prefer to buy existing home but would consider a new build if the property was in a good location. Also, any suggestions in what to look out for in buying a house in SC. In New England we have to be careful of radon, wood rot, ice dam damage and leaks in the basement foundation.
Hi Sunflower,
My family and I have been "all about" organic for quite some time. My husband and I live at Lake Murray very near Columbia. It is a very big lake and is also near Lexington, Batesburg-Leesville, Newberry and Chapin. We've been living here for 20 years and I sell real estate
here. Our daughter had a friend near by some years ago that had an organic farm, and we loved to go there and work the garden in exchange for food. Thank goodness, organic food is so much more popular now. Our daughter and her husband now are in the solar energy and wind turbine business. If I can help you in any way, I will be more than happy to do so. I know all of the area all the way around the lake very well (by boat as well as by car). I can research thru our mls system if you would like for me to do so.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
There are plenty of real neighborhoods in Columbia where you wouldn't have to live in a subdivision, also, if that is your preference.
Right, but she wants a couple of acres and no more than 350k. That's not going to happen in town. Elgin, Lexington, Lake Murray yes.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Ahh, now I understand a little more. Most of Columbia is suburban and features planned unit developments where a builder buys a tract of land and builds it out. They usually break the larger parcel up and build on .25-.50 acre lots per home. They have covenants and restrictions that usually state things like residential use only, no farm animals, only build a certain kind of fence, no parking on the street, etc.

I highly recommend a visit to Columbia and just get a Realtor to give you a driving tour of the area so you can see for yourself what your options will be. I have a buyer agent that does this regularly for relocations, doesn't cost anything. Matter of fact, many Realtors would be willing to give you a Columbia tour at no charge, but it's still good to check out these forums and get other opinions as well.
Hi Brandon, Thanks for the clarification. Subdivisions probably will not be a good fit. We plan to install a 5' fence for our two dogs, we don't believe in using invisible fences. Solar panels may also be an issue with the association by laws.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubysgirl View Post
Hi Sunflower,
My family and I have been "all about" organic for quite some time. My husband and I live at Lake Murray very near Columbia. It is a very big lake and is also near Lexington, Batesburg-Leesville, Newberry and Chapin. We've been living here for 20 years and I sell real estate
here. Our daughter had a friend near by some years ago that had an organic farm, and we loved to go there and work the garden in exchange for food. Thank goodness, organic food is so much more popular now. Our daughter and her husband now are in the solar energy and wind turbine business. If I can help you in any way, I will be more than happy to do so. I know all of the area all the way around the lake very well (by boat as well as by car). I can research thru our mls system if you would like for me to do so.
Hi Rubysgirl. Lake Murray sounds great. We'll take a look at this area. It's nice to hear that someone has a solar and turbine business. Would you know how many wind turbines are installed in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area