Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:22 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I currently reside in upstate NY and I think I have decided that I want to relocate to SC. From the very extensive research I've done thus far, I have narrowed my options down to Charleston, Columbia, and Florence. Really, I'm leaning very heavily towards Charleston and Columbia; from all of the studies and articles I've consulted, they are the two cities that most seem to be on the brink of good things and significant growth in SC, plus they are close to the coast (Charleston being right on the coast) which is a biggie for me. I'm only considering Florence because maybe someone can give me some more information about the city from a personal standpoint because from my research, it doesn't seem to have a whole lot going for it. I'm pretty sure I can find a job in any of these cities since I am in the insurance industry. Ideally I would like to live in downtown or very close to it. I'm single and have no children, so I'm not worried about schools.

Thoughts, comments, insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 05:12 AM

291 posts, read 1,782,019 times
I love Charleston. It is one of the most unique places in the country. The type of place where it is a total pleasure to just wander around aimlessly. Columbia is nice and practicle. It is in a good spot central to everything. If I was single not worrying about schools or anything It wouldn't even take me a second to decide.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:24 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
No offence to anyone, but I personally would not chose to move to Florence.

There are pros and cons of Charleston vs Columbia.

Charleston is a beautiful city, and great for a single person like yourself. Lots to do, the coast and beaches, mild winters. It would probably be my pick if I was single.

Some of the cons: Housing is more expensive. It's in the hurricane band and homeowner's insurance will be VERY expensive, and lot's of places require flood insurance. The traffic is a nightmare. It's a tourist city, and obviously some things will be very expensive. It's VERY humid. Downtown living would be quite expensive. If you can't afford to live in the city, then you have the traffic nightmares.

Having said that, I live in Columbia, and it is very affordable, one of the most affordable places to buy a house in the country. It is 100 miles from the beaches or Charleston, but there is a big lake right here on the doorstep, and with a boat you can enjoy all the watersports you like. There are also rivers running thru Columbia, and there are river walks, and kayaking over the rapids. There are quite a few clubs and bars in the Vista, which is growing rapidly. Loads of lofts and condos are being built downtown. Traffic can be bad in certain areas, but generally only during the rush hour. Homeowner's insurance and prop taxes are VERY affordable. The NC mountains are only a few hours away. It is also humid in summer, but not quite as bad as Charleston, which sits on the water.

Both cities are very nice, but if you like the coast, obviously Charleston would be a good choice.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:39 AM

The downsides to living in DT Charleston are truly downsides, as has been mentioned, with affordability being a major one (and the middle class options downtown slim to none). As a matter of fact, an article from today's edition of The State talks about how home sales are declining along the coast. But if you can swing it, go for it; it would be an experience like no other, that's for sure, as Charleston is a city like no other (maybe Savannah, but that's a different discussion ).

I think Columbia has enough amenities in and around downtown to keep you occupied/entertained AND that won't break the bank. You would have several options for downtown living, and a trip to the beach wouldn't be far at all.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:35 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Of the two cities you've narrowed your options down to, I would prefer to live in Charleston. Great things are happening there and it already has a fantastic downtown which rivals the best in the South (some consider it the best, but I disagree). As others have said, the major drawback to living there is its higher cost of living. I would add that its location right on the coast presents a serious problem when a major hurricane makes landfall there - which can and happen any year.

Columbia is a thriving city that draws on the strengths of a major public university. I like some of the new developments there, but have never liked living in any city with a major university as its centerpiece. Some would argue that it is not the centerpiece, but it is such a central focus in the city that you can't ignore it no matter how hard you try. The upside is that the cost of living is lower than Charleston's

Whichever city you chose, I wish you the best it can offer. -Moderator cut: Off topic for this thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:33 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
I've not lived in Florence in 20 years. Being a freshman and sophomore in high school, back in the mid 80's there wasn't much to do. It wasn't a bad town, but it could be boring. I've been back through there several times in the early part of this decade, and haven't seen Hugh improvements other than some advances in shopping. To be fair, I haven't done much more than drive through since we left in '86.

I graduated high school in Columbia and have lived in the area off an on between '86 and '04. I found Columbia to offer a lot more than Florence. Columbia offer more shopping, museums , shows, events and performing arts, than Florence.

I've never lived in Charleston, but have visit the area countless times. As far as entertainment and architecture goes, I'd much rather live in Charleston. The only problem is money, I don't make enough to afford the kind on home I'd like to have. I'd also be worried about hurricanes, getting out of downtown would be a nightmare.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:06 PM

12 posts, read 47,224 times
I'd definitely cross Florence off your list. It doesn't have much to offer for single people.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:07 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Also, CSC has a division located in suburban Columbia, which writes software for the insurance industry. Overall, Columbia is one of the largest insurance centers in the southeast.

http://careers.csc.com/careersource/CSCPVS2.NSF/ByLocation?OpenView&Start=1&Count=60&Expand=16.36. 1#16.36.1 (broken link)

Old 05-24-2007, 12:51 AM

Thanks for all of the information everyone. I thought that Charleston would probably be beyond my reach as far as downtown housing affordability in concerned, and it looks as though I was right. Too bad though, because it's a great city. It's been a very long time since I've been there, but I'm sure things have been changing for the better.

On the other hand, I've been impressed with what I've been seeing from Columbia. Usually Charleston grabs most of the spotlight when it comes to SC, or Myrtle Beach in some cases (nice place to hang out at, but wouldn't want to live there), but it appears more and more that Columbia is becoming to come into its own. I only see the university as a plus. College towns and cities home to large universities seem to be the "in" thing these days, and I can understand that, seeing how the University of Rochester (my alma mater) has positively impacted the city of Rochester. These types of towns and cities just seem to have a certain type of creative energy that is rarely found elsewhere.

Skyliner,Moderator cut: personal (the off-topic remark you are replying to has been removed)

Except for being right on the beach, Columbia seems to have most of what I'm looking for so I will just concentrate my efforts there. Again, thanks for all of the information.

Oh yeah, and Columbia's Wikipedia page was very informative and helpful. It seems that you guys really take pride in your city!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 17,039 times
Hi, I agree with deee. I used to live in Florence and relocated to the Charleston area. I love it here and everyone is so friendly. Many people are relocating here from all over the United States. I'm a Moderator cut: realtor advertsing and soliciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area