Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times

Advertisements

My most recent electric bill with Fairfield Electric is $340 for a 700-something square foot, one bedroom apartment.

I almost fainted.

But the worst is, I'm guessing, yet to come...for I checked the meter today, and, only 10 days into my billing cycle, I have already surpased my usage from last month! I don't know how this happened. I DO know that a friend of mine, who recently moved out of her boyfriend's place (and I gave a key to my place) had been over my house while I was out of town recently to use my internet. I was out of town for five days. When I came home the heat was on 80.

Now I usually keep it around 68, and yes, I know that this day and age, it needs to be lower. So about 5 days ago I set it to 60. I don't know how I've already managed to surpass my usage from last month though. It just doesn't make any sense...I'm away from the aparment 10 hours a day for work for goodness sake. Could it be an insulation issue? I ask that because I moved from a lower unit to an upper unit a few months ago because the sounds from the person above me were unusually loud--meaning I could hear everytime they flicked on a light switch and loud "hollow" sounds from them simply closing their kitchen cabinets.

At this rate, if my usage continues at anywhere near the rate of the past 10 days, my next bill may be around a grand, and I CANNOT have that happen.

I guess part of me is just venting because I have never had high bills with Georgia Power anywhere NEAR the bills I've had since moving here to Columbia. That is considering this most recent bill AND all of my prior ones since being here with Fairfield Electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 06:31 AM

367 posts, read 959,975 times
It is very likely that insulation or rather the lack thereof, is the cause of the heavy electrical usage. Some apartments are built very cheaply with poorly constructed windows and minimal insulation. My first apartment here in Nazi Jerky was all electric, poorly built, and poorly insulated. The winter electric bills were an eye opener.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,957 times
No it is Fairfield Elec they are just high period. Other light companies are way cheaper, I know this because we are military and have live other places. We have been away for 2 weeks at a time, my family and I with nothing left on but 1 light and my bill is still almost $200 it is a rip off. Look at your bill Fairfield is a co-op and they charge you different prices, what they want to charge you for usage and the charges are very seldon the same but high all together. In the winter they jack of the prices. You might get a breather in the summer that is when it seems they company give you a break. I know that light company that are not co-op are cheaper.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:05 PM

843 posts, read 2,747,358 times
I think Black River (also a co-op, I believe) in Sumter might be the same way. I have 1 less person living with me now who used to leave lights on in multiple rooms (and often times more than one light per room), leave the TV running all day, etc. I also just had a new high-efficiency heat pump put in the week of Thanksgiving, versus the 20 year old unit that was probably too small for the house. Despite these changes, I don't see a difference in my bill.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 5,762 times
Power companies, regardless of the name, or the city you live in, all have the same thing in commond. (Get more money). Have you ever wonder why your friends, or the peolpe next door can run their (a/c in the summer, the heat in the winter). Turn their stove on, their dryer, washing machine, dishwasher, all at the same time, and do this everyday for 30 days, and their light bill is around 100 dollars a month, or less, and you don't do any of these things, and your bill is around 500 to 700 dollars a month.? Is this fair to you? NO. Do You know how this is done, and do you want to do something about it. This message is not only for you , but for anyone that is being rip off my these power companies. Looking forward to hearing from you, and others like you.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:23 AM

1 posts, read 821 times
Default Electric bill

Read your post. And at the end is stated. would you like to know how you can lower that electric bill with Fairfield Electric in South Carolina. Please tell me. Your ideas on this. Thanks Glen.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:51 AM

518 posts, read 436,324 times
Crank down the AC to 70 or even 68. Make sure your frig isn't set to too cold. That period of time at 80 degrees will do a hurting to your pocket book. How about water heater? It is set to too hot?

Old 02-07-2020, 08:52 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
My Dominion bill was really high, too.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:48 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
One person, 1400 sq ft home with cathedral ceilings and I keep it very warm/comfortable. Last Dom. Energy bill was $218.00. Not bad to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area