U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 57,761 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm joining USC for grad education this coming semester and I'm moving to Columbia sometime end June. Been reading online about the city and nearby apartments and it seems so hard to decide on the area I wanna stay in to start with.

I read that Columbia is not a very safe place with the higher than average crime rates.

Can someone pls suggest the safest neighborhoods that I should consider and the best apartments there??

Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM

6,395 posts, read 12,917,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labileeza View Post
Hello,

I'm joining USC for grad education this coming semester and I'm moving to Columbia sometime end June. Been reading online about the city and nearby apartments and it seems so hard to decide on the area I wanna stay in to start with.

I read that Columbia is not a very safe place with the higher than average crime rates.

Can someone pls suggest the safest neighborhoods that I should consider and the best apartments there??

Thnx
Columbia is not unsafe at all. Statistics can be very misleading, I've never felt unsafe here. I would think you'd want to be close to campus. The Shandon, Rosewood, University Hill and Wales Garden neighborhoods are all close to campus. I've got pictures of those and others on my website if you'd like to take a look around.

Waccamatt's page

Old 06-04-2007, 05:20 PM

737 posts, read 1,282,534 times
Columbia is about as safe or unsafe as anyplace else I've been to. The city has areas or pockets of higher crime rates but typically the average person usually wont have a reason to visit those areas. However if one frequents a "bad" neighborhood the chances of getting assulted will probablly increase.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:55 AM

Thank you for your replies and waccamatt I enjoyed looking at all the pics on your website. It's a great idea.

One more question though. Which neighborhoods should I avoid looking for appartments in?

Thanx

Old 06-05-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your replies and waccamatt I enjoyed looking at all the pics on your website. It's a great idea.

One more question though. Which neighborhoods should I avoid looking for appartments in?

Thanx
Labileeza, I think it would be easier to tell you more on a complex by complex basis since I can't really think of many apartment complexes in bad neighborhoods. I don't know what you're looking for in an apartment, but I used to live in a wonderful old quadraplex a few blocks from Five Points and close to USC that I loved and was very reasonably priced. If you want a pool and gym, etc. with your apartment that would not work. If you know what qualities and price range you would like I could recommend some places.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 AM

I'm basically looking for a 1bed/1bath apartment/studio in a gated community. Preferably a highrise building (to avoid the bugs problem). The price range in the $500 to $700 bracket with at least some of the utilities included.. gym would be a plus.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I'm basically looking for a 1bed/1bath apartment/studio in a gated community. Preferably a highrise building (to avoid the bugs problem). The price range in the $500 to $700 bracket with at least some of the utilities included.. gym would be a plus.
Try Cornell Arms or Claire Tower, they are both older, reasonably-priced highrise buildings near campus. I know the rent at Cornell Arms includes utilities and the views are wonderful on the upper floors.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:20 AM

Thank you Waccamatt

Old 11-27-2013, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,512 times
I am thinking about moving to columbia nc, I want to rent a house for now in a nice area. any ideas. and also on the drivers license with not being expired and good standing can you just transfer the license or you have to take the test.
and do you have houseing taxes and personal property tax there

Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glawhorne3 View Post
I am thinking about moving to columbia nc, I want to rent a house for now in a nice area. any ideas. and also on the drivers license with not being expired and good standing can you just transfer the license or you have to take the test.
and do you have houseing taxes and personal property tax there
Tis is the Columbia, SC forum. Columbia, NC is a small town near Albemarle Sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: