Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 05:55 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
This isn't called County-Data.com. Richland County ends at the edge of Downtown Columbia at the Congaree River and Lexington County begins on the opposite river bank. I'm sure you don't always claim the stats from the Spartanburg and Anderson MSA's when they bring the Upstate's overall stats down.
Nor is it called MSA-data.com, so the point is? Actually I consider the whole upstate to be one area, just like the retailers, companies, and restaurants that keep locating here; my business doesn't stop in Greenville. I can be in Spartanburg County in 15 minutes. Government drawn lines or not. We're one beat and one sound in the upstate, as you will see as we pull together to bring Southwest to town. It doesn't matter what you post, negative or not; we're making it happen. Get on board or get out of the way! We're on the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 06:38 AM

12,899 posts, read 18,751,931 times
MSAs are built around cities, not counties.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:49 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
MSAs are built around cities, not counties.
Doesn't really matter to the companies showing up in the area. So again, the point is? They obviously are seeing something different and don't care that Cola is the capital or largest msa since the 2003 GSA split. Must be using the old way. I guess someone needs to get the word out, because SW doesn't notice either.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:59 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Mixing threads now?
Indeed. Merely to point out a clear discrepancy in your comments. I can understand your position in one of the debates, but not both since they are contradictory.

From the "Benjamin Wins" thread:
Quote:
Posting rumors and innuendo is typical for Republicans, isn't it?
It is typical of people in both parties.
Quote:
That is speculation at best. Why not let the police do their job?
BINGO!
Quote:
...Making up stories doesn't sway those of us who can see through these thinly veiled attempts to discredit the mayor-elect. Let the police do their job and figure out what happened.
Precisely my point in this thread. Why speculate without adding even a shred of supporting evidence?
Quote:
Talk about editorializing! There is no mention anywhere that Benjamin had a "night of partying"; where in the world do you come up with these out and out lies? Your hyperbole is beyond unbelievable.
Quote:
I read legitimate news sources and nowhere has it been stated that he was out until the morning drinking. The only thing I've seen were reports that his drink of choice that night was water.
Quote:
...Again, it's easy to make up stories without a shred of evidence to back them up.
This is very true, and the reason for my post.

From earlier in this thread:
Quote:
Seeing as how hate crimes have been a problem in Greenville, let's start there.
Until we see the evidence backing this claim, I'll quote your comment in the "Benjamin Wins" thread, "This is speculation at best. Why not let the police do their job?"

Old 05-01-2010, 07:14 AM

12,899 posts, read 18,751,931 times
The arguing is making me anxious. I probably need some Lexapro or something. Columbia might want to stay away from big box national chains if what is happening to an Uptown Charlotte grocery store is any indication. An area's character can be destroyed by too many big box discount stores, even though big box architecture has improved in some cases. Maybe Greenville will be able to avoid having that happen. It's disheartening to me that suburbanites could call the shots on what stores they want in an area, sometimes at the expense of a city's core.

Reid's will check out of uptown - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/01/1409312/reids-will-check-out-of-uptown.html - broken link)

Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 AM

Apparently you haven't heard that Greenville, South Carolina, has lots of local and national retailers, AND a vibrant downtown that has become the well documented envy of cities across the U.S. I'm not really sure how the article applies to either Greenville or Columbia though. Most (if not all) of the "big box" stores formerly located in our cities' urban cores fled to the suburbs decades ago.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
I'll make a deal with you - you stay in Greenville (and their forums) and I'll stay in Columbia (and our forums). To be perfectly honest with you, I care more about what's going on in New York than I do what's going on in Greenville. I think it's very telling that it's only people from Greenville that stick their noses in everyone else's business. You don't see people from Charleston, Columbia, MB, Florence and Augusta doing it. You don't see people from Spartanburg or Anderson doing it either. It's a uniquely Greenvillain trait and to be fair only a small number of them.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:22 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,072 times
Quote:
You don't see people from Spartanburg or Anderson doing it either.
Well, technically, G-man is counted in Anderson's MSA figures.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I'll make a deal with you - you stay in Greenville (and their forums) and I'll stay in Columbia (and our forums). To be perfectly honest with you, I care more about what's going on in New York than I do what's going on in Greenville. I think it's very telling that it's only people from Greenville that stick their noses in everyone else's business. You don't see people from Charleston, Columbia, MB, Florence and Augusta doing it. You don't see people from Spartanburg or Anderson doing it either. It's a uniquely Greenvillain trait and to be fair only a small number of them.
So that's it? You're just going to make an unsubstantiated claim (start an unfounded rumor), ignore the requests for supporting evidence, and then criticize other people for doing the same? Amazing.

No deal. This is a public forum devoted to discussion of facts and opinions about cities and anything relating to them. I did not wish to join this particular "city vs. city" bash-fest, but would not sit idly and allow such a potentially dishonest and degrading comment to remain unchecked. Your "silence" and diversion tactics seem to support my reasoning in this case.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
So that's it? You're just going to make an unsubstantiated claim (start an unfounded rumor), ignore the requests for supporting evidence, and then criticize other people for doing the same? Amazing.

No deal. This is a public forum devoted to discussion of facts and opinions about cities and anything relating to them. I did not wish to join this particular "city vs. city" bash-fest, but would not sit idly and allow such a potentially dishonest and degrading comment to remain unchecked. Your "silence" and diversion tactics seem to support my reasoning in this case.
Drama queen much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area