U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:56 AM

115 posts, read 154,710 times

Advertisements

I been in Greenville for 7 months and have not seen many jobs. I love the area and its beauty, the mountains etc. I moved here from the midwest. However, I'm getting very frustrated when it comes to jobs. I haven't been able to find one yet. i am a teacher by trade , but I believe there are a lot of unemployed and soon to be graduating teachers in the area. I've heard Greenville schools is cutting back money. That doesn't make me fill very optimistic.

What's it like in Columbia? Jobs, social scene, crime, housing, public transportation etc?

I find Greenville to be almost a sleepy little town that closes shop at 11pm. It's pretty quiet most of the time here which I kind of like. However I don't like the lack of diverse jobs or jobs period, poor public transportation and the act the art museum is the size of a tea cup, but i could easily live with those issues if I found a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 04:34 AM

8,886 posts, read 13,326,008 times
The timing of this thread seems rather interesting but i'll bite. Yes, we have poor public transportation. I'll definitely agree with you on that. It truly is a joke and needs improving badly. However, I don't agree with you on us having a small art museum or lack of diverse jobs. Greenville County and Bob Jones art museums are some of the best around in my opinion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenvi...olina#The_arts Greenville has more engineers and foreign investment per capita than anywhere else in the nation. We have manufacturing jobs from BMW to Caterpillar, engineering jobs from Fluor to Michelin to GE, office jobs from Carolina First to Scansource to Hubbell Lighting, high-tech jobs from ICAR to IBM, hospital jobs from Greenville Hospital System to St. Francis, etc.

Regarding the teacher job situation, you have a very slim chance of finding a city or county that isn't cutting teacher jobs right now unfortunately. Tons of cities and counties across the country including Greenville and Columbia are having to cut back in that department due to a lack of funding from the recession. Here is a recent article from the NY Times on the situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/21/ed...1teachers.html

Last edited by g-man430; 04-23-2010 at 04:57 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,770,752 times
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics on a list they put out about a month ago, Columbia is the easiest MSA in the state in which to find a job; that is, for every job opening there are fewer unemployed people competing for that opening. Culture here is strong and always looking for ways to improve. Public transportation is still breathing and is on pins and needles waiting for a permanent funding solution that should be in place soon if our leaders can all get on the same page. Columbia's hills roll more subtly than the mountains. Night clubs and bars on weekends start late and close late. There are always activities for one cause or another or a festival or concert, etc., etc. The rivers and lakes are nice. The people are very friendly and diverse. The crime is average for a southern city, with a downward trend.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,388,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
I been in Greenville for 7 months and have not seen many jobs. I love the area and its beauty, the mountains etc. I moved here from the midwest. However, I'm getting very frustrated when it comes to jobs. I haven't been able to find one yet. i am a teacher by trade , but I believe there are a lot of unemployed and soon to be graduating teachers in the area. I've heard Greenville schools is cutting back money. That doesn't make me fill very optimistic.

What's it like in Columbia? Jobs, social scene, crime, housing, public transportation etc?

I find Greenville to be almost a sleepy little town that closes shop at 11pm. It's pretty quiet most of the time here which I kind of like. However I don't like the lack of diverse jobs or jobs period, poor public transportation and the act the art museum is the size of a tea cup, but i could easily live with those issues if I found a job.
Sleepy little town? Hmmm, that means every city in the state is then. Something fishy about this, I won't bite. If it is real, then good luck where ever you go.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Artriot, based on your other posts you are an aspiring artist. Sorry you can't make it in Greenville. You should always do your research before moving. Be careful about what you say. Most of us are very knowledgeable about what's said on here. Ex. Sleepy town that closes shop at 11pm. I was in downtown Greenville at 2am a couple of Saturdays ago and the place was still packed! That's why I felt the post was fishy at first. Your success depends on you! I make just below 6 figures in the same area. Again, good luck!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 AM

748 posts, read 1,192,850 times
Plus it's relatively easy to say, live in Greenville and conduct a job search that includes Columbia.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Yeah, I think Greenville misrepresents itself a little when it comes to the art scene. The art scene is very small here, I hope that just means it's growing. I'd love to see Greenville become an arts mecca of the south like Paddukah, KY. I think more spaces and lofts for artists would be a good thing and incentives for artists to move here start businesses and buy houses. A few well defined arts districts would be wonderful. I think the Pendelton? area is perhaps the cities area for artists. I hope it grows more.

I think the Greenville school system is very good from what I have observed. It's a shame that funding is being cut across the nation. Back in college I was giving the sense that teaching was a pretty study profession and it's not at all. Anyone who says their is a teacher shortage is lying or misinformed. Perhaps there are shortages in some areas, but overall there are lots of teachers and no place to teach. I can't understand how we as a nation can spend money on war and space and not on schools.

Well, No offense by "sleepy little town". I don't think thats a bad quality. Greenville in many ways feels more to me like a giant suburb than a city. I haven't hung out a lot downtown ,but I am aware there are evening events that run late. Over all it seems Greenville gets pretty quiet at night. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Where I lived before I'm used to 24 hour stores, 24 hour post offices, clubs that stayed open till 4 and 5pm , and and a much bigger art scene. The modern art museum in Greenville is very small, it would equal a forth of the museum back in my old town. I wish the museum here was twice the size of the downtown library. I havent been in the county or Bob Jones Museums yet so I'm hoping I'll be floored by their collections. I'm not saying greenville is a disappointment, I like it a lot here. It's a great place to live and it certainly lacks the crime I witnessed up north. I just wish some things were bigger.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 PM

I was being rushed writing the last post, so I hope it doesn't appear as if I'm a huge complainer. Being in Greenville unemployed hasn't been easy, but I like it around here and I hate the idea of having to move again just for work. With that said I am considering Columbia, SC. Are there an areas outside of Columbia (5- 10-20 minutes) away that are like Greenville. If I do work in Columbia I'd like to live outside the city someplace rural ,inexpensive, pretty and safe. Hills and mountains are a plus. Suggestions?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 PM

People have a different view of things. I met I guy from Cleveland yesterday that is floored by Greenville and feels its has more going for it than Cleveland. Especially its downtown. Then today I met a young fellow from Columbia who installed my Directv dish who said he felt it was racist here in Greenville, yet I'm black with mixed kids and either of us are yet to experience it. My kids love their schools. I think most of us black americans don't know how to take conservatism so we call it racism. Though I'm probably more tilted in the middle. I feel someone who leans more towards a urban, hip hop style would like it more in Columbia and less in Greenville. Sorry for the lengthy post, I was on a roll.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:36 PM

I think I'm some where in the middle. I don't like huge cities, but I like lots of culture with in a smaller environment. I think South Carolina is rather conservative, but that doesn't always mean racist. I'm black also and I don't think I've really experienced much racism here. There was one time I asked for directions and the guy looked at me like I didn't exist and then turned and kept driving. People like that exist everywhere. But then there are more times when people here were very helpful and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area