Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times

Advertisements

GREENVILLEGREENVILLEGREENVILLEGREENVILLEGREENVILLE GREENVILLEGREENVILLEGREENVILLEGREENVILLE

-

Isn't that a beautiful headliner for this post about Columbia retail?

I read an article last night in the Wall Street Journal (can't find it right now) about Costco moving in to take over former department store space in malls. They're taking over a Dillard's in Sarasota, for instance. With all the abandoned no-man's-land mall space and run down malls crying out for some business in Columbia (just some phraseology to make a Greenvillian or two's day), maybe they'll come calling here soon (just some encouraging words for trend-shopping Columbians).

Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Greenvillians.....Charleston's downtown IS better than Greenville's. Period. Charleston's downtown is better than 90% of the downtowns in the US. Period. Charleston is unique and I love it! I'm very proud to take out of staters to Charleston and have had some great weekends there. Wit the history in Charleston, the would have to really try hard to NOT have a great downtown. Kind of a given.

Between Greenville and Columbia, Greenville wins hands down, but honestly, it shouldn't.....Greenville had nothing to build off of. Greenville in the late 1980's had a rundown city center with no college, no state government, no major museums, etc. Greenville and Greenvillians worked hard and created from nothing.....the city did something amazing and now gets to enjoy the success.

Columbia however, did have plenty to build off of.....state government, state museums, a large university.....for some reason though, all those government institutions failed to really advance downtown Columbia into a great area. The Main Street area, though trying, is still fairly dead. Are Columbians not "go getters"? Do they not have "mojo"? Does depending on government and mindless government jobs breed mediocrity? Why does downtown Columbia lag its instate peers? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Have you ever noticed that Greenville and Charleston never go at each others throats but Greenville and Columbia do. I wonder why that is? For some odd reason, it seems like Greenville and Charleston have a much better relationship with each other like when it came to landing Southwest Airlines. Both metro areas teamed up to land the air carrier while Columbia was left high and dry.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's your opinion, and I disagree. Charleston's downtown is larger, more historic, more urban, and more well-rounded than Greenville's. However, Greenville has done a great job with its downtown as I have stated. The fact is, they are two different types of downtowns and in a certain sense, shouldn't really be compared in this sense.

Again, downtown Charleston is just a different beast. It's past the point of winning awards and such (even though it does win them). It's a mature, historic, unique place and you don't get all sorts of delegations from other cities visiting to get ideas because its downtown simply cannot be replicated. Charleston was just dealt a really, really good hand. I know you Greenville homers are the perpetual cheerleaders for your city's downtown, and you have much to be proud of but Charleston is simply on a different level. Accepting that doesn't make your city inferior as you and your partner in crime seem to think. I suspect you guys really do, which is why y'all don't go into the Charleston subforum.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree then. Like I said, Charleston has a GREAT downtown and I enjoy visiting it often but I don't agree with the notion that it's better than Greenville's. Even though their downtown might be larger, more historic, more urban, and more well-rounded than Greenville's there are negative sides to their downtown too like with the high amount of poverty very close to the tourist areas and lack of development due to restrictions. There are also serious problems with flooding there.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:26 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Have you ever noticed that Greenville and Charleston never go at each others throats but Greenville and Columbia do. I wonder why that is?
Because y'all don't go into the Charleston subforum to stir up $h!+ like y'all do here; hell, this very thread was initiated by a Greenvillian to paint Columbia in a negative light. The Columbia folks stick to their subforum (and could care less about what Greenville does or doesn't have), and the Charleston folks stick to their subforum. I think it's because (some of) y'all feel like you can beat up on Columbia rather easy with the things normally harped on (retail, Southwest, etc.), but know you're outmatched when it comes to Charleston. Kinda like the bully in elementary school who never picked on anyone his own size because he knew he'd get the crap beat out of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
We're just going to have to agree to disagree then. Like I said, Charleston has a GREAT downtown and I enjoy visiting it often but I don't agree with the notion that it's better than Greenville's. Even though their downtown might be larger, more historic, more urban, and more well-rounded than Greenville's there are negative sides to their downtown too like with the high amount of poverty very close to the tourist areas and lack of development due to restrictions. There are also serious problems with flooding there.
And Greenville has negative sides to its downtown as well, just like any city's. Charleston's positives overwhelmingly make up for its negatives, and the millions of visitors the city gets every year seem to essentially agree. Like I said, Greenville has a great downtown but I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt a lot of people outside of Greenville will say that its downtown is better than Charleston's. Most people would probably say Savannah's is better too. But hey, as long as Greenville is better than Columbia in every possible way, then it's a winner!!!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Because y'all don't go into the Charleston subforum to stir up $h!+ like y'all do here; hell, this very thread was initiated by a Greenvillian to paint Columbia in a negative light. The Columbia folks stick to their subforum (and could care less about what Greenville does or doesn't have), and the Charleston folks stick to their subforum. I think it's because (some of) y'all feel like you can beat up on Columbia rather easy with the things normally harped on (retail, Southwest, etc.), but know you're outmatched when it comes to Charleston. Kinda like the bully in elementary school who never picked on anyone his own size because he knew he'd get the crap beat out of him.

And Greenville has negative sides to its downtown as well, just like any city's. Charleston's positives overwhelmingly make up for its negatives, and the millions of visitors the city gets every year seem to essentially agree. Like I said, Greenville has a great downtown but I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt a lot of people outside of Greenville will say that its downtown is better than Charleston's. Most people would probably say Savannah's is better too. But hey, as long as Greenville is better than Columbia in every possible way, then it's a winner!!!
Whatever man. I see you're getting upset. Lol. You can call me what you want, just don’t call me late at night. I'll agree Charleston is better competition, but i'll stand my ground against it to if I have to.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:11 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Columbia however, did have plenty to build off of.....state government, state museums, a large university.....for some reason though, all those government institutions failed to really advance downtown Columbia into a great area. The Main Street area, though trying, is still fairly dead. Are Columbians not "go getters"? Do they not have "mojo"? Does depending on government and mindless government jobs breed mediocrity? Why does downtown Columbia lag its instate peers? Inquiring minds want to know.
I think this is the most interesting thing. Maybe some things are just taken for granted. The result, as I see it, is a lack of willingness to compete when you're a sure shot for certain things (like state jobs, museums, etc). BUT, maybe things are changing in Columbia. Mayor Benjamin came up to Greenville the other week as Mayor Knox White's special guest. He had his first visit to Falls Park and Fluor Field.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:

How is Greenville outmatched when compared to Charleston? Both have major companies expanding (BMW and Boeing), both have major national retailers (J. Crew, Apple, Pottery Barn), both landed Southwest Airlines, both have around the same population, both have beautiful downtowns, etc.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Yeesh. Can we get back to COLUMBIA retail? The wheels have come off if we're talking about Greenville vs Charleston.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:41 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Who needs a time out and to spend some time standing in a corner? Back to be 5 year olds I see.

This is the COLUMBIA forum. Can we talk about COLUMBIA? This is supposed to be about retail coming to COLUMBIA. Greenville and Charleston both have their own forums. Go chat on them. Geesh. Enough bickering!

Anyone know if anything is coming to Village at Sandhill or Two Notch Road? Like Two Notch needs more stuff.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area