U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 AM

7,339 posts, read 5,907,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
To be factual and clear, not one poster said Columbia should covet certain stores. The State news article said that local Columbians covet Apple and Trader Joe's, so seems most of your fellow Columbians feel differently than you.
And not one poster has insinuated it either, right? Journalists always get it right?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:31 AM

Did someone get off the topic of retail? So what else is new? - not about someone getting off topic but about Greenville and Charleston getting things before Columbia does? Sometimes Columbia gets things before the other two do. It all depends on stats we aren't immediately privy to, but during my 26 plus years in Columbia, we usually eventually get the same stores that the I-85 stretch's obscure stats bring to that area first, because Columbia's stats eventually meet the same obscure criteria those stores wait on before pouncing, often in more than one geographical area. Whatever first locates in Columbia over Greenville or Charleston may before long see in the other two areas the stats they are looking for. It's all good.

Okay, it's back in my pants now and I'm getting out of this pee contest.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:40 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,541,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Midlands View Post
Akhenaton - you bring up good points, but I actually recently speculated as to why even Augusta seems to get the upscale chains before we do. See my post in a similar previous thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13304028-post20.html

I'll elaborate more on the points I made because I'm beginning to really sense this "lack of mojo" issue may really be something we need to consider for Columbia. I think if I were to summarize Augusta's situation, it's that it's the legs of its "government stool" is significantly more value-added and thus generates a demographic more willing to spend disposable income on upscale retail.

My original list in the other post is shown here in italics:

Compared to Columbia there is perhaps a more energetically-spending upper middle class due to:

(1) Lots of nuclear scientist/engineer types associated with the Savannah River Site

These are very highly-technical, highly-paid individuals. We do not have anything close to the large numbers of nuclear scientists/engineers that Augusta/Aiken has. We have a relatively small Westinghouse operation.

(2) More higher-end medical professionals, associated with the Medical College of Georgia (i.e., Columbia is a major regional medical center but not home of a premier medical research institution - our state's counterpart to MCG is MUSC in Charleston).

I think there is a significant difference between a flagship state medical research institution and a flagship state university, in terms of the income per worker it generates, especially if said state university is not considered in the top 10-20 amongst conversations across the nation. Let's face it, USC has not yet reached the stature and respect that UNC or UVa has. MCG is also a big regional burn center - big enough that the victims of the horrible LearJet crash at Columbia Metro Airport 2 years ago were sent to MCG. USC med school is decent but is not a premier institution.

(3) Augusta National's hallowed place at the top of the nation's golf course hierarchy brings in a lot of high-dollar tourists (if only for a week) and some high-dollar retirees as well.

Our local golf industry is basically limited to local residents and a small handful of mostly more modest retirees. There is no way we can compete with Augusta or the SC coast on golf-related business and retirees. The Masters generates so much traffic in and around Augusta that Delta upgrades its regional jets to Atlanta to much larger Boeing 757's and briefly schedules a couple non-stops to New York; USAirways also modestly upgrades some flights to Charlotte and adds Philly and New York flights. ExxonMobil, Phil Mickelson's major sponsor, to avoid congestion in Augusta, parked 5 corporate jets in Columbia this year, ironically.

(4) The Army's Fort Gordon there is home to the Signal Corps and other military intelligence units, which may mean the region is home to higher-earning officers and other defense industry professionals/contractors relative to Fort Jackson here in Columbia, which is mostly a basic training facility.

Fort Gordon's Signal Corps also has an Officer Candidate School (OCS), while Fort Jackson, beyond a basic training center (BCT), has a Chaplain and Drill Sergeant training facilities. In Augusta, I would guess you probably run into a good amount of, say, retired O-5's who are defense contractors working for Fort Gordon's signal intelligence operation. In Columbia I'm not sure you'll often encounter Army folks above an active E-9.

All this despite Augusta as a city and downtown not being particuarly noted for unique urban amentities (something at least we have with the University, Five Points, Vista, etc.).

I will say that I found Augusta's downtown OK, and certainly not that impressive compared to what is found in the Vista. Not that it doesn't have its charms, but other than a pleasant riverfront park, it's nothing to write home about. My point that Augusta has other things going for it that give it just enough mojo to get some of the stores we're talking about. It also goes without saying that Augusta has a far bigger national name recognition due to the Masters than Columbia does.
Good points. But still, it doesn't seem to make much sense being that Columbia is larger which a higher GDP and per capita income. Oh well.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM

5,010 posts, read 8,547,039 times
Quote:
Garners in Greenville is locally owned as well, as are the numerous ethic markets found throughout the city. Still nice to have Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Trader Joes, Fresh Market and Bloom in addition. Just gives options. Nothing wrong with options.

You can buy most Apple products online, but you can't get the experience or the Genius Bar without going to an Apple Store.

From the opening at Haywood this morning. The first photo shows two groups of people (the mall had people line up in major cluster, so as not to interfere with walkways). People were then lined up to the right, down the corridor by Helzberg and out into the parking lot....around 1,000 people and this was at 8:45.....a good 1 hour and 15 minutes prior to the 10:00 AM opening. I guess Greenvillians do covet Apple, and they got what they covet.

I guess that could also show that there isn't much to do in Greenville. Wait over an hour to go into a retail store? Please. My time is much too valuable for that.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 PM

5,010 posts, read 8,547,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Midlands View Post
I would agree with the Apple Store - it definitely would be nice, but being a store that sells low-frequency, bigger-ticket items, purchasing online is a perfectly good alternative.

I would disagree with the Trader Joe's-Gourmet Shop comparison. The closest national chain that's like the Gourmet Shop is perhaps Dean and Deluca, which is not a store I'm particularly clamoring for. Trader Joe's sells everyday groceries along with some more upscale items, while Gourmet Shop/Dean and Deluca sells "fine foods" - I don't picture myself buying a gallon of milk from the latter. Trader Joe's has a huge line of store-brand items that are direct-from-manufacturer. That holds down costs and lets them churn out products that are both interesting and affordable.

For me, being a suburban dad in the Far Northeast, the Gourmet Shop is fine for an occasional visit once or twice a year for an outing (I admit I might eat lunch there more often if I worked downtown). But for general grocery shopping I find Trader Joe's far more affordable than the Gourmet Shop - I will buy my nicer cheeses at Publix, Bi-Lo, and Sam's Club (where I got my last chunk of manchego from) before I step foot in anything in the city. I suppose if I were a younger single guy living near downtown, the story might be different. I love supporting local non-chain businesses, but I'm not going to drive 20 miles and spend a lot more just for that - the value proposition isn't there for me.
I can understand that about the time...I don't drive more than 15-20 minutes for anything on even a semi-regular basis, but I live and work in town so I'm in 5 Points and the Vista all the time and I'm less than 10 minutes from both.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 AM

7,995 posts, read 7,045,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I guess that could also show that there isn't much to do in Greenville. Wait over an hour to go into a retail store? Please. My time is much too valuable for that.
Ummmm.....there must be even less to do in Columbia. Numerous people in line, interviewed by local TV, had driven up from Columbia for the opening. LOL.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM

Jason's Deli is coming to the Vista. It will be located in the ground floor of the old Columbia Supply building on Gervais Street. Miller-Valentine, the developer, will locate their headquarters on the upper floor.

The director of the Columbia Development Corporation says the next ten years will bring as many new things to the Vista as have located there in the past ten. That will be in addition to whatever comes to Five Points and the Main Street corridor.

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?...11307103204101

Old 07-14-2010, 09:20 PM

8,190 posts, read 6,541,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Jason's Deli is coming to the Vista. It will be located in the ground floor of the old Columbia Supply building on Gervais Street. Miller-Valentine, the developer, will locate their headquarters on the upper floor.

The director of the Columbia Development Corporation says the next ten years will bring as many new things to the Vista as have located there in the past ten. That will be in addition to whatever comes to Five Points and the Main Street corridor.

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?...11307103204101
They will be a good fit for the Vista, even more so for that location.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 AM

7,995 posts, read 7,045,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post

Free Times: Growth and Development - Work Begins on Columbia Supply Company Site
I'm shocked this is the first Jason's Deli in Columbia. They are such a mid-market chain, I just assumed they were everywhere.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 AM

1,358 posts, read 1,258,004 times
Quote:
I'm shocked this is the first Jason's Deli in Columbia. They are such a mid-market chain, I just assumed they were everywhere.
I knew that gsupstate was going to make this point. So, I was just waiting for that . Columbiadata, given the discussion in the other thread about Chains being bad for Columbia, I must admit that I am curious about your joy in Jason's Deli coming to the Vista. Of course, I think that this is great news. Yet, Jason's Deli is still is a Chain.

I was wondering if you could clarify (or at least elaborate on) your disdain for Chains in Columbia, because I am somewhat confused. Is it that Chains in Columbia are bad? Or, is it the geographic location of those Chains (e.g., Northeast or Harbison) that is bad? Or, maybe there is something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area