Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:23 AM

7 posts, read 10,863 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it isn't true for most people in Columbia, but it evidently is exactly how the person who wrote that post feels - why else would he have posted it? But like I said, it really says way more about that individual and his beliefs/views and only reflects badly on himself and others who share his sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 04:27 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I will say this and then leave it alone. Owner's of a business(chick-fil-a) have a right to believe what they want. Folks like the Duck Dynasty guy have a right to believe what he wants whether we like it or not. You can choose not the eat at a place or not watch a show if you don't like what they believe. But none of us have the right to try and change a person. Sorry to join the off topic part of this thread.
They can say whatever they want and I also have the right to call them out on discriminatory practices and boycott them. It works both ways.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:05 PM

421 posts, read 573,745 times
Why boycott? Why no just respect they have different views then you. If I don't like a company or product I don't purchase/frequent them.

Saying they you don't feel like two guys should be 'married' isn't discriminating. Not letting a person earn a living because of Thier beliefs is discriminating.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Question Really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
If I don't like a company or product I don't purchase/frequent them.
Perhaps you should buy a dictionary and look up the definition of the word "boycott." ??

Quote:
Saying they you don't feel like two guys should be 'married' isn't discriminating.
And while you're at it, look up the definition of "discrimination." Denying a group of people (gays) the same rights (marriage) as another group of people (straight people), is the textbook definition of discrimination.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:07 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
Quote:
Why boycott? Why no just respect they have different views then you. If I don't like a company or product I don't purchase/frequent them.

Saying they you don't feel like two guys should be 'married' isn't discriminating. Not letting a person earn a living because of Thier beliefs is discriminating.
It's the epitome of discrimination. They can believe whatever they want to in their own life, but it is highly discriminatory to force their beliefs on me. If I marry my (theoretical) boyfriend, it doesn't affect anyone but us.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
It's the epitome of discrimination. They can believe whatever they want to in their own life, but it is highly discriminatory to force their beliefs on me. If I marry my (theoretical) boyfriend, it doesn't affect anyone but us.
Absolutely. What a person does in their own personal life with another consenting adult is none of my business. Just because someone allows their imagination to run wild about what two people are doing privately and then they're not happy with it does not give them a right to force those other people to change their behavior. As far as I know there's no law against picking your nose and I'm pretty sure LOTS of people do it in private and I find it disgusting - so maybe we should pass a law? That's basically the attitude of the anti-gay crowd. Rather juvenile. I'm a straight, married woman and I may not be able to "understand" what being gay is like, but I do respect everyone's right to pursue happiness and their right to personal liberty. Being gay doesn't infringe on my rights in any way so I'm certainly not about to infringe on someone else's.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:17 AM

421 posts, read 573,745 times
How is the anti- gay crowd trying to force Thier beliefs on others? I know they disagree but I don't see them trying to force Thier beliefs

Calling out and trying to silence people who have different opinion than you is a form of discrimination. Your discriminating against Thier beliefs and their way of life.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 AM

611 posts, read 920,699 times
Quote:
How is the anti- gay crowd trying to force Thier beliefs on others? I know they disagree but I don't see them trying to force Thier beliefs

Calling out and trying to silence people who have different opinion than you is a form of discrimination. Your discriminating against Thier beliefs and their way of life.

Incorrect. Free speech is not freedom of consequences from your speech. It's a two-way street, you're free to say what you feel without worrying about being put in jail, but anyone else has the freedom to do the same directed at you.

That's the danger of being outspoken about ANYTHING when you're in a service industry...if you offend people, they may choose not do business with you. It's really nothing new or revolutionary.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:23 PM

377 posts, read 709,561 times
Oh, the anti-gay crowd isn't trying to force their beliefs on others, except for the bit where they're doing exactly that via legislation.

If Dan Cathy said, hey, I'm not a fan of two guys getting married and that was the end of it, then that's just fine. That's his right. I'd prefer redheaded people not be seen in public by the rest of us normals. But the difference here, and it's a pretty key one, is that I'm not donating significant sums of money to groups whose explicit purpose is codifying discrimination against redheaded people.

Wait, does such an organization exist? I'd like to write them a sizable check.

Anyway, if I'm the owner of a company and I give, both personally and through my company, money to groups that are 100% in favor of discrimination, I shouldn't be shocked when people who aren't in favor of discrimination stop giving me their money now that they know where it's being funneled to. What I especially shouldn't do is turn around and act like *I'm* somehow the victim of discrimination, and it's actually the people fighting for tolerance who are intolerant, because then I'll sound like a real d-hole.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:08 AM

377 posts, read 709,561 times
So marriage rights, such as hospital visitation, durable medical power of attorney, automatic inheritance, immigration/residency, tax benefits, and that sort of thing should also be reserved only for heterosexual couples with children? In my view, marriage is no more and no less than the legal incorporation of two consenting adults into a single entity. And yes, before you ask, I'm married and have been for many years.

For all its romantic notions, marriage has nothing to do with religion, children, sex, or even love. Heck, two people can get married who don't even know each other just as two people can be in love (and have children) without being married. It's a contract with a heck of a buyout clause. None of which I recommend you single gents bring up when you propose, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area