Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 AM

435 posts, read 1,523,620 times

Advertisements

Woodlands - thanks for your thoughts and assessment. You provide good additional insight in housing and neighborhood dynamics.

My main point with jkwing and others is that it is inaccurate to scale one's authentic displeasure in a particular neighborhood one lives in up to an entire zip code or suburban sub-region (i.e., 29229 and the Northeast). In other words, displeasure, for whatever reason (legitimate or not) with one's particular neighborhood in Columbia, that happens to be in 29229 or the Northeast, does not automatically mean one has to go to the other side of the Congaree River to find "happiness". You're absolutely right about perception - much like the "animal spirits" that drive the stock market. It's why Spring Valley is somewhat popular with certain upper middle class African Americans despite it's overall reputation of being a largely "white neighborhood". However, jkwing's personal comfort level of his perceived local "tipping point" (and I don't have any particular qualms with his displeasure with his neighborhood) doesn't give him a legitimate reason to then say, the entire zip code is off limits. Perhaps his price point precludes him from purchasing a property that fits his needs, but I would argue he could likely find an affordable home in a nearby neighborhood in an area like Blythewood or Elgin. Then again, if he truly feels he needs a lower threshold of black population, regardless of class, I'm not in any real position to argue. I would just prefer he add a dimension or two to his broad-brushed analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 03:13 PM

415 posts, read 2,327,959 times
Believe it or not I am not a racist, nor am I against any race of any kind. it is just my opinion that an area that changes to a predominantly African American makeup rarely stays a nice area. So if an area changes to a predominantly black area, one can assume it will in time, loose it values and become a less desirable area to live. Just a fact, unless someone can show me an area that has beat the odds. Check any large city and the areas that are predominantly black are all less than desirable area to live or raise a family.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 8,426 times
Sandhills just had a shooting last week in the Walgreens parking lot at 7:00 in the evening. Need I say more!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,190,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatamy19 View Post
Sandhills just had a shooting last week in the Walgreens parking lot at 7:00 in the evening. Need I say more!
It seems that more needs to be said. I am curious, in the past year how many crimes against person and/ or crimes against property have been committed in the city of Columbia? When you look at police crime data, uniform crime reports, or whatever data source you use, do they show that the majority of crimes against person and crimes against property occur at the Village of Sandhills? Please, say much, much more.

Just an aside, I was driving through Five Points the other night and I saw the police arresting someone. Should I now be afraid of that area? Should I now avoid it? Please say more so that I will know how I am supposed to react the next time I want to drive through that area.

Last edited by davey123; 07-08-2010 at 09:40 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 AM

8,130 posts, read 13,177,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwing View Post
Believe it or not I am not a racist, nor am I against any race of any kind. it is just my opinion that an area that changes to a predominantly African American makeup rarely stays a nice area. So if an area changes to a predominantly black area, one can assume it will in time, loose it values and become a less desirable area to live. Just a fact, unless someone can show me an area that has beat the odds. Check any large city and the areas that are predominantly black are all less than desirable area to live or raise a family.

What do you consider to be a 'nice' area? In other words what is your definition of a 'nice' area?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 AM

343 posts, read 1,041,119 times
Quote:
Well I will chime in about the NE, I moved in The Summit in 2006, after 3.5 years of living there, I wished I had a real estate agent direct me towards Lexington. Check the demographics, NE zip code 29229 is almost 50% black, and if you look at what happens to the areas that are that heavily populated with black, there are more gangs, more graffiti, and more trouble.
I could not wait to get out of the NE. I sold my house in January this year, and I took a $9200.00 loss, just to get my wife to an area she felt safe in. We now live in Lexington where the black ratio is around 20%. And it does make a difference. Don't get me wrong, not all blacks are gang members and trouble makes, it just seems the high concentration of blacks the more trouble you have and the faster a neighborhood will go down hill.

Yep, Lexington. Home of a whole lot of white people trying to get away from them no-good, trouble-makin black folks. Lexington is just a new version of Irmo. Pretty soon, "wholesome" white people won't feel comfortable there, either.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 AM

1,065 posts, read 2,250,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post

Yep, Lexington. Home of a whole lot of white people trying to get away from them no-good, trouble-makin black folks. Lexington is just a new version of Irmo. Pretty soon, "wholesome" white people won't feel comfortable there, either.
Are you a total idiot or just a troll?

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM

415 posts, read 2,327,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
What do you consider to be a 'nice' area? In other words what is your definition of a 'nice' area?
A nice area, is an area of town where the people respect each other, take care of their property and there is no gang activity. If you take a drive through the Summit ( where I Lived ) and you start to travel the side streets through the back area, like Laura Springs, and Whitney Falls and Autumn Run, you will find many homes with yards over grown, a number of broken down vehicles, houses with sheets over the windows, and trash on the front porch, and not a lot but some graffiti. I feel that the summit will continue to deteriorate over the next 5 to 10 years.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,798,114 times
Quote:
A nice area, is an area of town where the people respect each other, take care of their property and there is no gang activity. If you take a drive through the Summit ( where I Lived ) and you start to travel the side streets through the back area, like Laura Springs, and Whitney Falls and Autumn Run, you will find many homes with yards over grown, a number of broken down vehicles, houses with sheets over the windows, and trash on the front porch, and not a lot but some graffiti. I feel that the summit will continue to deteriorate over the next 5 to 10 years.
Does The Summit not have a HOA? Wouldn't the HOA come down hard on people with broken down cars in their yards, weeds and trash on the porch?

Old 01-11-2016, 09:38 AM

199 posts, read 300,543 times
Quote:
Don't take my word for any of the information I have provided, check it out for yourself, go the web site and do your research

Moderator cut: link removed

Race in Columbia (zip 29229), SC

50.41% of people are white, 41.83% are black, 3.37% are Asian, 0.24% are native American, and 3.27% claim 'Other'.

Lexington
Race in Lexington (zip 29073), SC

89.16% of people are white, 7.49% are black, 0.72% are Asian, 0.45% are native American, and 1.97% claim 'Other'.

Check out the web site for more information, and in my opinion it is a fact the higher concentration of blacks in an area will almost always have a higher crime rate and lower property values

Not sure why because a vast majority black people are not bad people, but for some reason there are enough bad ones to make a neighborhood go down hill with unattended properties and higher crime rates
Incorrect detail man the demographics is

African American 52.58%

White 35.13%

Hispanic 5.55%

Asian 4.35%

Other 0.19%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area