U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM

7,995 posts, read 10,716,733 times

Advertisements

Another forum member brought up the recent arrest of several people in Greenville County for running a cockfighting ring.

I guess that brings up the question about the USC mascot.....a Gamecock with spurs on its feet. Does this mascot need to be changed? Does it promote or endorse illegal cockfighting? Does the Gamecock mascot bring up images of animal cruelty?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 AM

9,869 posts, read 19,536,934 times
Eat mor chikin.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:40 PM

5,582 posts, read 8,510,273 times
Chicken Fighting is illegal????? Damn Ive got to find another hobby

Remember this from Rush Hour 3 With Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan

Carter: I understand. I got a brother, too. My little brother, Perry. We used to be best friends. Now we don't even speak. He thinks I tipped off the cops about the chicken fights in his garage. Can you believe that? My own brother think I'm a snitch. Just because my chicken lost in the semifinals. I didn't even really care.
Lee: Carter.
Carter: He had to fight a chicken that didn't make his weight. And he still went the distance. He had a lot of heart. And he was delicious.

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-07-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-07-2010, 04:26 PM

9,386 posts, read 12,789,981 times
If the Gamecocks play another team called the Gamecocks maybe I'll be just a little bit concerned. Otherwise it's a moot point. Gamecocks are also bred for show and breeding, like pigeons and parakeets. They are beautiful. Tigers: how original.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM

8,731 posts, read 17,037,868 times
No. Don't be silly.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,113,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
If the Gamecocks play another team called the Gamecocks maybe I'll be just a little bit concerned. Otherwise it's a moot point. Gamecocks are also bred for show and breeding, like pigeons and parakeets. They are beautiful. Tigers: how original.
No one has brought up Clemson, except you. The OP attended another SEC school, if I'm not mistaken.

As a counterpoint to the 'bred for show and breeding' comment, we must also recognize that it's the "fighting gamecocks" that is the mascot, not the "state fair, first-in-show gamecocks". Fighting is a part of the allure of the gamecocks as a mascot. If it's not, then I have no idea why it would ever be chosen. Sumter didn't get the name from their looks.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
No one has brought up Clemson, except you. The OP attended another SEC school, if I'm not mistaken.

As a counterpoint to the 'bred for show and breeding' comment, we must also recognize that it's the "fighting gamecocks" that is the mascot, not the "state fair, first-in-show gamecocks". Fighting is a part of the allure of the gamecocks as a mascot. If it's not, then I have no idea why it would ever be chosen. Sumter didn't get the name from their looks.
You are correct. As the OP, I'm an Alabama alum....ROLL TIDE!

This thread is not about Clemson vs USC. It is simply about the fighting Gamecock and is it really a worthy image / mascot that should be used for a state university? Columbiadata brought up the horrors of cockfighting in another thread, after the news that some Greenville County people were arrested for running cockfight rings. I thought it was a worthy topic (thanks Columbiadata) and created a thread. If cockfighting is illegal and an abuse of animals, follows logic that a mascot and team name called the Gamecocks would be frowned upon.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM

6,465 posts, read 13,414,424 times
Mascots are inanimate objects so no, having a Gamecock as a mascot does not encourage cockfighting. Cockfighting is illegal and the people engaging in it know that.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Mascots are inanimate objects so no, having a Gamecock as a mascot does not encourage cockfighting. Cockfighting is illegal and the people engaging in it know that.
So, following the above logic, a mascot of a child sexual predator, a mascot of a heroin needle, a mascot of a drug dealer.....all would be OK since mascots are inanimate objects?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM

3,435 posts, read 4,807,516 times
God, I hate political correctness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area