Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM

22 posts, read 63,017 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing for a position in Columbus this week and would like to see the area while I am town. I'm a recent college grad moving from Georgia Southern. This will be my first "real job" and my first big move beginning my career. Currently living in Statesboro, I'm not accustomed to a large town but I would like to live somewhere a bit bigger with entertainment for people in the 20-something age range.

Can anyone shed light on things to keep in mind for someone in my age range and situation? (What's the standard of living like? Are there things to do? What kind of areas are liveable?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:40 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,611,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki_dw View Post
I am interviewing for a position in Columbus this week and would like to see the area while I am town. I'm a recent college grad moving from Georgia Southern. This will be my first "real job" and my first big move beginning my career. Currently living in Statesboro, I'm not accustomed to a large town but I would like to live somewhere a bit bigger with entertainment for people in the 20-something age range.

Can anyone shed light on things to keep in mind for someone in my age range and situation? (What's the standard of living like? Are there things to do? What kind of areas are liveable?)
Columbus is definitely a lot larger than Statesboro. There is plenty to do downtown for recent grads. Columbus State University has a large presence downtown so there are a lot of places that cater to that crowd. Best areas to live are in North Columbus. Lots of good apartment complexes. That is where all major shopping and dining establishments are located.

What do you like to do for fun?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 AM

22 posts, read 63,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post

What do you like to do for fun?
If all works out, the job that I will be working will have me working weekends with Monday and Tuesdays off, but rotating weekends off. So, that limits things. However, I've seen online that Columbus has a fair amount of museums. Is there much of an art scene from the college?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,611,284 times
Quote:
If all works out, the job that I will be working will have me working weekends with Monday and Tuesdays off, but rotating weekends off. So, that limits things. However, I've seen online that Columbus has a fair amount of museums. Is there much of an art scene from the college?
There are a lot of museums in the Columbus area:

1) The Columbus Museum
2) National Infantry Museum
3) Welcome Aboard! Port Columbus : The Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus, Georgia | Military Museum, Military Technology and Pirates

Columbus State has a huge Arts program:

Columbus State University: Department of Art
RiverCenter for the Performing Arts

Springer Opera House puts on plays all year long.

Springer Opera House - Columbus, GA

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

CSU's Riverfront Campus:

Old 07-03-2011, 03:07 PM

783 posts, read 1,157,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
There are a lot of museums in the Columbus area:

1) The Columbus Museum
2) National Infantry Museum
3) Welcome Aboard! Port Columbus : The Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus, Georgia | Military Museum, Military Technology and Pirates

Columbus State has a huge Arts program:

Columbus State University: Department of Art
RiverCenter for the Performing Arts

Springer Opera House puts on plays all year long.

Springer Opera House - Columbus, GA

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

CSU's Riverfront Campus:
There's a lot of local musical & poetic talent in this area, as well, & they're an outgoing bunch, performing in public often... see the thread elsewhere for more information on these events, & here's a sample of me performing my poetry with some of the best musicians Columbus-Phenix City has to offer:

Twilight Girl / Will Dockery & Henry Conley:

YouTube - ‪Twilight Girl by Will Dockery & Henry Conley‬‏

Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 AM

18 posts, read 49,770 times
Quote:

Nikki...I also graduated from Georgia Southern and I am now back in Columbus. If you are familiar with Savannah I will compare Columbus with Savannah. If you are looking for an art scene like Savannah you will not find it. Not even close. The clubs downtown are "so so" when the bar crawl is going on (first weekend of the month) but any other time they are pretty boring and expensive. Their are some nice things about Columbus but for us 20 somethings it is insanely boring. If you could imagine Savannah without the beach, without river street and without most of the clubs and Restaurants between East Bay and Broughton then you have a good idea of what Columbus is like.

Aside from the amount of people their really isn't a substantial difference between Columbus and Statesboro.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:40 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,182,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domga82 View Post
Nikki...I also graduated from Georgia Southern and I am now back in Columbus. If you are familiar with Savannah I will compare Columbus with Savannah. If you are looking for an art scene like Savannah you will not find it. Not even close. The clubs downtown are "so so" when the bar crawl is going on (first weekend of the month) but any other time they are pretty boring and expensive. Their are some nice things about Columbus but for us 20 somethings it is insanely boring. If you could imagine Savannah without the beach, without river street and without most of the clubs and Restaurants between East Bay and Broughton then you have a good idea of what Columbus is like.

Aside from the amount of people their really isn't a substantial difference between Columbus and Statesboro.
I guess I'm one those who see Savannah differently. Once I had walked the squares, I was ready to go. Just like Columbus State Downtown, SCAD adds some youth to Downtown Savannah. As for bars, well you got me there since I do not frequent them. But let's be honest, most people go there to drink, dance and to meet people and from the shear number of bars on Broadway and First Avenue someone must be enjoying themselves. I number of times I've been Downtown at night must have been an anomaly, because it's was always crowded.
As for arts, I would say Columbus stack up very well against most cities its size. I have notices several museums downtown and the music and theater scene is outstanding. The Springer and the River Center offer quite a bit of entertainment and opportunities for a budding artist. Savannah would love to have those two venues and any other city would also. Once you have heard a concert in the River Center (classical or jazz), you would want to go back again and again. The acoustics are amazing, simply amazing.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
I guess I'm one those who see Savannah differently. Once I had walked the squares, I was ready to go. Just like Columbus State Downtown, SCAD adds some youth to Downtown Savannah. As for bars, well you got me there since I do not frequent them. But let's be honest, most people go there to drink, dance and to meet people and from the shear number of bars on Broadway and First Avenue someone must be enjoying themselves. I number of times I've been Downtown at night must have been an anomaly, because it's was always crowded.
As for arts, I would say Columbus stack up very well against most cities its size. I have notices several museums downtown and the music and theater scene is outstanding. The Springer and the River Center offer quite a bit of entertainment and opportunities for a budding artist. Savannah would love to have those two venues and any other city would also. Once you have heard a concert in the River Center (classical or jazz), you would want to go back again and again. The acoustics are amazing, simply amazing.

JLA....you do see Savannah differently. Scad and CSU are very different colleges and have very different affects on their respective communities. Scad's campus is , in essence, downtown Savannah, they do restoration projects and the affects of that University are felt all over the place. If we think about the name "Savannah college of ART & DESIGN" along with its more direct involvement on the community it is simply not true to say that Columbus stacks up to Savannah in terms of an art scene.

Their isn't much of a selection of clubs and bars in Columbus at all. Pretty much anyone that enjoys that type of thing knows that the bars and clubs in Columbus aren't anything to speak of. Most are very small, over priced for what they offer and have a new set of poorly trained bartenders every week. I was shocked when I first came home from school and Bar's (not club's) were charging 10$ at the door to get in.

I agree, the Springer and River center are amazing, and a great basis for what could be a great scene in Columbus, but its just not there yet. Savannah doesn't need a Springer or River center because their are enough intimate venues for people to enjoy plays, jazz, opera..etc. Their is nowhere to listen to good live jazz music in Columbus on a Friday night. In Savannah their are several. Few if any art studios or galleries. Again, several in Savannah ! You can't get away from live music in Savannah..in Columbus you have to go searching.

My attempt is not trash Columbus but to provide a realistic perspective of Columbus from the view of the average 20 something in Columbus. I don't think Savannah is perfect by any stretch of the imagination but most GSU students are familiar with (and enjoy) Savannah, so I used it as a point of comparison.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:07 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,182,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domga82 View Post
JLA....you do see Savannah differently. Scad and CSU are very different colleges and have very different affects on their respective communities. Scad's campus is , in essence, downtown Savannah, they do restoration projects and the affects of that University are felt all over the place. If we think about the name "Savannah college of ART & DESIGN" along with its more direct involvement on the community it is simply not true to say that Columbus stacks up to Savannah in terms of an art scene.

Their isn't much of a selection of clubs and bars in Columbus at all. Pretty much anyone that enjoys that type of thing knows that the bars and clubs in Columbus aren't anything to speak of. Most are very small, over priced for what they offer and have a new set of poorly trained bartenders every week. I was shocked when I first came home from school and Bar's (not club's) were charging 10$ at the door to get in.

I agree, the Springer and River center are amazing, and a great basis for what could be a great scene in Columbus, but its just not there yet. Savannah doesn't need a Springer or River center because their are enough intimate venues for people to enjoy plays, jazz, opera..etc. Their is nowhere to listen to good live jazz music in Columbus on a Friday night. In Savannah their are several. Few if any art studios or galleries. Again, several in Savannah ! You can't get away from live music in Savannah..in Columbus you have to go searching.

My attempt is not trash Columbus but to provide a realistic perspective of Columbus from the view of the average 20 something in Columbus. I don't think Savannah is perfect by any stretch of the imagination but most GSU students are familiar with (and enjoy) Savannah, so I used it as a point of comparison.
Once again, bars/clubs are not my thing. I prefer things like biking and running, so...
On the other hand, Columbus State University influence on Columbus is just as prevalent as SCAD is on Savannah. It just that the affects are different. I will point to TSYS, AFLAC and SYNOVUS as examples of how Columbus State's influence permeates the surrounding area. Not to mention the Springer and the River Center's main reason for its existence. I can't speak for SCAD's music department, but CSU's is known far and wide as outstanding. And its Business, Nursing, Education and Computer Science departments are nothing to sneeze at either. I say that to say this, each university has its own influence on its local economy. With Columbus benefiting from two large universities that feed it with a large number of business, nursing, education and computer science majors. And usually those who are in that demographic are not known to be big time party animals once they leave college.
My perspective may be somewhat broader sense I'm somewhat older than 20 something, not much, but older nonetheless. Also, I have lived and worked in several large metro areas, domestic and abroad; and have visited many more. Life is what you make of it, not what some one else makes for you. Two of things that I always remember from my military days is this, "adapt" and "Improvise". And because of those two ideals, I can honestly say I have never truly had a bad assignment.
Adapt
Improvise.
Happy 4th or July

Old 07-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Once again, bars/clubs are not my thing. I prefer things like biking and running, so...
On the other hand, Columbus State University influence on Columbus is just as prevalent as SCAD is on Savannah. It just that the affects are different. I will point to TSYS, AFLAC and SYNOVUS as examples of how Columbus State's influence permeates the surrounding area. Not to mention the Springer and the River Center's main reason for its existence. I can't speak for SCAD's music department, but CSU's is known far and wide as outstanding. And its Business, Nursing, Education and Computer Science departments are nothing to sneeze at either. I say that to say this, each university has its own influence on its local economy. With Columbus benefiting from two large universities that feed it with a large number of business, nursing, education and computer science majors. And usually those who are in that demographic are not known to be big time party animals once they leave college.
My perspective may be somewhat broader sense I'm somewhat older than 20 something, not much, but older nonetheless. Also, I have lived and worked in several large metro areas, domestic and abroad; and have visited many more. Life is what you make of it, not what some one else makes for you. Two of things that I always remember from my military days is this, "adapt" and "Improvise". And because of those two ideals, I can honestly say I have never truly had a bad assignment.
Adapt
Improvise.
Happy 4th or July

Lets stay on topic here.

The original post said

" I am interviewing for a position in Columbus this week and would like to see the area while I am town. I'm a recent college grad moving from Georgia Southern. This will be my first "real job" and my first big move beginning my career. Currently living in Statesboro, I'm not accustomed to a large town but I would like to live somewhere a bit bigger with entertainment for people in the 20-something age range.

Can anyone shed light on things to keep in mind for someone in my age range and situation? (What's the standard of living like? Are there things to do? What kind of areas are liveable?) "

This discussion has nothing to do with adapting and improvising. Adapting and improvising doesn't do anything for a young person trying to find a nice place to live, with stuff for 20 somethings to do. Army people adapt and improvise in the city they live in because they don't have a choice about where they live. Fortunately for her, she has a choice.

The whole point of this discussion was for her to determine if their is stuff for someone her age to do and whether she would enjoy moving her, any comments not considering her age and situation are simply a distraction that detracts from the conversation and gets it off course. Which it is now.

Considering the expectations of a person coming from Statesboro and coming from Statesboro myself, It is my opinion that she would probably be disappointed with Columbus. That's my opinion, it is based off of knowledge and experience in Columbus, Statesboro and Savannah (<---which is a second home to a lot of GSU students) and trying to break down every point I make will not change my opinion.

My advice to Nikki is to drive here, come visit on a regular weekend. Go around the city and see if you enjoy it. Look around for the art scene that you want and see if you can find what you are looking for. Look around for stuff that you would enjoy doing on a regular basis. I doubt you'll find much but its worth a try. Check out down town Columbus, the mall, the strip mall and the restaurants, the lake Oliver Marina, the River Center, the River Walk and other places and see if you could see yourself living here. Find the building where your new job might be and try driving there in the morning to get a feel of the traffic. Nikki, we can only give you our biased opinions of the city. Most older people I meet think Columbus is the greatest thing since sliced bread, most younger people think that it is a boring trap that ensnares young people in to a life of routine day to day living. It is for you to decide and I would advise checking it out. If anything you get a nice road trip across Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA