U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,358 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I need some advice on good, safe apartments and/or neighborhoods. I am moving to the area with my husband (U.S. Army) and we don't want to live on base. Any help would be awesome.

Also has anyone heard any good reviews on Johnston Mill Lofts?

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 03:00 PM

2,929 posts, read 2,957,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenstars10 View Post
Hey guys, I need some advice on good, safe apartments and/or neighborhoods. I am moving to the area with my husband (U.S. Army) and we don't want to live on base. Any help would be awesome.

Also has anyone heard any good reviews on Johnston Mill Lofts?

Thanks in advance!!!
Are you guys just looking to rent? Anything on the northside that is a Greystone property is nice. Johnston Mill Lofts is nice. Convenient to downtown and Fort Benning. Not near any major retail/commercial, most of that is on the northside of the city. What exactly are you guys looking for?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:22 PM

47 posts, read 70,788 times
Default Moving

I haven't heard any bad things about Johnston Mill Lofts. I do know military families live there and I think they give some discounts to military. They are on the outer skirts of downtown. The Greystone Family of Apartments are also popular and are located in different areas of Columbus. I haven't lived there, but I have heard good things.

Moderator cut: advertising/soliciting not permitted per TOS

Good luck on your move!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-10-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Are you guys just looking to rent? Anything on the northside that is a Greystone property is nice. Johnston Mill Lofts is nice. Convenient to downtown and Fort Benning. Not near any major retail/commercial, most of that is on the northside of the city. What exactly are you guys looking for?

We are looking to rent at least a 2 bedroom apartment/townhome/condo. I want a location that is safe and I won't have to feel that something bad could happen at any moment.

We are looking at an apartment complex called Whisperwood at the moment. MAA - Whisperwood

Have you heard anything about this place? (ie crime related)

Also I keep hearing bad things about Johnston Mill Lofts, but I thought they looked pretty good. Anything crime related?

Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatercolumbusga View Post
I haven't heard any bad things about Johnston Mill Lofts. I do know military families live there and I think they give some discounts to military. They are on the outer skirts of downtown. The Greystone Family of Apartments are also popular and are located in different areas of Columbus. I haven't lived there, but I have heard good things.

As you become familiar with what the Columbus Area has to offer families in terms of things to do, community, businesses and most anything else, try
Greatercolumbusga.com

The site is over 500 pages about Columbus, Georgia and growing

Good luck on your move!

Thanks for the info!!! I will definitely look into this!!!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:34 PM

129 posts, read 223,620 times
Johnston Mill Lofts is a high crime area. Do not rent there. Many recent burglaries have taken place there. See WTVM or Ledger Enquirer for those stories. Greystone Properties owns the nicest properties throughout the city. Look into that company and speak with sales rep. Amber Smith. Also the northside off of veterans pkwy has some nice properties that are safe and close to everything. God bless
Daniel

Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,871 times
I have been living at Whisperwood for about a month now and really like it. The two bedroom apartment we are in is spacious and nicely laid out. I love the gym the free tanning and the pools are wonderful.

As far as safety goes, I have feel totally safe here. I haven't heard or seen sirens in the complex yet, which is a good thing. Also several cops live here, which helps with safety.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:33 AM

153 posts, read 132,218 times
Please feel free to go to facebook.com/fortbenningareaguide & ask over 7500 people what they think of Johnston Mill Lofts... My page bridges communities (military, locals & business owners) together, as well as surrounding areas. This will give you the opportunity to get a lot of people's views. It's like a local Angie's List.

Also, google Johnston Mill Lofts...I guarantee that you will find some very interesting articles.

I agree with danmandr.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:49 PM

294 posts, read 273,738 times
I'm probably too late to help fallenstars, but anyone being stationed to Fort Benning, trust me, you do want to live in base housing, you just don't know it yet. The only downside to base housing is typical nosy gossipy neighbors you'd find in any military housing, and off base housing is really no different either in Columbus. Same nosy gossipy neighbors.

I mean free housing, free utilities, no loud neighbors if you're in the newer housing, and parking won't be a pita like in an apartment complex, and you'll avoid the clusterf*ck that is morning and afternoon rush hours in Columbus. Columbus and the rest of Georgia hasn't figured out that they need to build infrastructure like roads that can handle peak rush hour traffic, all the roads in Columbus, even the interstate is designed to handle peak traffic loads of a city the size of 60,000... not 186,000 or whatever number the locals say is the population now (they'll exaggerate the population to be 250k or something).

Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 PM

8 posts, read 8,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimolive View Post
Please feel free to go to facebook.com/fortbenningareaguide & ask over 7500 people what they think of Johnston Mill Lofts... My page bridges communities (military, locals & business owners) together, as well as surrounding areas. This will give you the opportunity to get a lot of people's views. It's like a local Angie's List.

Also, google Johnston Mill Lofts...I guarantee that you will find some very interesting articles.

I agree with danmandr.

If you really don't have to relocate to Columbus... DON'T. Go to Atlanta or some other place, but not Columbus. Not worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA