U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2007, 02:22 PM

12 posts, read 41,726 times
Question relocating to columbus ga area

hi can any one tell me some nice areas around columbus small towns are fine with good schools, cost of living in this area for a 4 bedroom house.or better yet some area to stay away from.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 PM

1,072 posts, read 460,360 times
Stay in North Columbus area...Athough there are some nice condos and apts going up in downtown... and a lot of exciting things are happening in downtown. Columbus seems to be a city on the move. It has heavily investing in capital projects over the last several years.. an arts center.. convention center..a civic center and a riverfront park. I think Columbus is a good investment and will continue to appreciate.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,470,119 times
Disgusta is correct, although there are some good thing happening in South Columbus, it still has a ways to go yet, but rest assured it will be cleaned up soon. Generally areas north of Exit 5 on I-185 are good, unless you want to stay in some of the historical areas of the city like Midtown.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:53 PM

105 posts, read 351,597 times
Small towns around Columbus? Well there's Harris County. Lots of small towns in HC. I can't comment though since i've only driven through. Then there's small towns like Cusseta and Buena Vista. Then there's Alabama, where you can get a lot for your money.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:03 PM

127 posts, read 211,215 times
Cool Best place to relocate

I have lived in the Columbus Metro area all my life and have seen it come from a small city to a bustling metropolis. The best place to relocate is Smiths Station, AL. It is only 15 minutes from Columbus, but feels miles more away. The housing is very cheap, the community great, the schools are top notch, and is convenient to highway 280/431.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:13 PM

12 posts, read 41,726 times
thanks for all your help and knowledge. we are still up in the air where to go, how does columbus compare to the savanna area?

Old 09-16-2007, 08:49 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,470,119 times
That would depend on what you are looking for. Savannah is more of a tourist town, it has a lively tourist atmosphere along its historic squares. It is growing and it draws more retirees to the area. Columbus has more of a city feel to it, with its lively downtown area, it feels more like a city, not as many tourist, but there are some. On the weekend it draws people from the Atlanta area who are looking for entertainment, but are not interested in the traffic. Savannah is compact and somewhat cramped, Columbus is spread out. The cost of housing is cheaper in Columbus and the area. Columbus' industrial base is expanding faster than Savannah's and is more diverse. Historically Savannah's economy seemed to be tied mostly to tourism and military. More recently it has taken steps to correct that, by expanding its port and the aircraft industries there. Columbus continues to grow its banking, insurance, aircraft, tourism, military, trucking and other industries. It is in the process of adding automotive and related industries. It has more of a balanced economy. There are more people in the Columbus area, but you would not know it because the area is spread out. Savannah needs to start taking steps to widen its interstate and roads to accommodate the influx of people living and working in the area. I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA