Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 AM

286 posts, read 438,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
As I said , the list is a list of stores opening soon, uncertain opening dates, and rumored stores. This thread was started on a rumor in 2012, yet Costco is apparently still looking...interesting. Since the main rumor on this thread was incorrect(Costco looking for a site), then how is this thread any more credible than the list? If anything, it has the same credibility as this thread, which seems to have not been from a reliable source. All I'm saying is that a rumored store has been looking for nearly 3 years, has made no announcements, doesn't claim to be looking in emails, but yet you think this thread is more credible than the list? They have the same amount.
yeah but were still keeping our fingers crossed. I think columbus would be a perfect place for a costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:33 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2belds97 View Post
Columbus is the second largest city in Georgia and Im sure it will only get bigger. Especiallyl wiht all of the expansion and development recently that is planned.
Chain stores and companies look at total metro population, not city population. City limits are arbitrary; they stop at one street, but lots of people (and customers) still live on the other side of that city limit. By the metro yardstick, Columbus is Georgia's fourth-largest city. There is a Whole Foods in Augusta (2nd most populous metro) and Savannah (3rd) but not in Columbus (4th) and Macon (5th). A compact marketing area is traditionally based on metro population and density, and both Augusta and Savannah have a larger potential market for goods and services than Columbus does.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM

69 posts, read 121,428 times
Quote:
It's not maintained by Costco, Columbus being absent on the rumored list doesn't really mean much other than no one has reported the rumor on that site.
Actually, that site's past performance is my indicator. They haven't been wrong on their past lists. They have insider information. I don't post things that I haven't researched.

Quote:
WHO ARE THE DEVELOPERS FOR COSTCO HERE?
Northwest Atlantic handles their real estate transactions.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:11 AM

179 posts, read 289,651 times
Costco had looked at Columbus for a location, I belive it was with Waddell, but nothing came of it.

If you look at all the stores that have opened in the last several years it is clear that Costco will not be
in Columbus anytime soon.

On the bright side we a Ollies and another wal-mart is coming. And the other half of the miigen rd k-mart
is being set up for another discount store. (It s being remodeled now, all I heard was it is going to be a discount type store)

Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,855,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky1 View Post
On the bright side we a Ollies and another wal-mart is coming. And the other half of the miigen rd k-mart
is being set up for another discount store. (It s being remodeled now, all I heard was it is going to be a discount type store)
You think they'd put two discount stores next to each other?

Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Chain stores and companies look at total metro population, not city population. City limits are arbitrary; they stop at one street, but lots of people (and customers) still live on the other side of that city limit. By the metro yardstick, Columbus is Georgia's fourth-largest city. There is a Whole Foods in Augusta (2nd most populous metro) and Savannah (3rd) but not in Columbus (4th) and Macon (5th). A compact marketing area is traditionally based on metro population and density, and both Augusta and Savannah have a larger potential market for goods and services than Columbus does.
4th? It's the 2nd largest. Savannah...no. Factor in the CSA of Columbus and they are all similar.

Last edited by Columbus1984; 02-05-2015 at 03:44 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 04:00 PM

515 posts, read 632,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
4th? It's the 2nd largest. Savannah...no. Factor in the CSA of Columbus and they are all similar.
Since when did Columbus have the 2nd largest metro...it doesn't. He was right, its 4th. He was referring to the way retailers look at cities. They NEVER look at city limits when determining city size.They look at metro size, so to retailers and developers, Columbus is the 4th largest. It would be in the order of Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah, Columbus, Macon. I'm pretty sure that Savannah's trade area is a lot larger than Columbus', so that would be a factor as well. Think about it, if Columbus was the 2nd largest to retailers, it would have more than Augusta and Savannah, but that is obviously not the case. Yes, they are similar in some aspects, but in others, there is a big difference. It really doesn't matter what position you think they are in, retailers don't worry about city limits when locating, they are rather useless. They go for larger population centers, which would explain why Columbus trails them. They are considered larger markets, because they are.

Last edited by cnd33; 02-05-2015 at 04:09 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 04:07 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Nope, Columbus's city numbers are artificially inflated by consolidation. Columbus is definitely Georgia's fourth city for all intents and purposes (just as Miami is really Florida's largest city, not Jacksonville). Savannah has 50,000 more people in its metro area than Columbus, and that is significant. Also, Savannah has visitors and Columbus doesn't -- not in any real terms other than business travelers and military officials visiting Benning. This means that Columbus pretty much always follows Augusta and Savannah in landing its first national chain store, restaurant or retail club. Very few exceptions to that, and that's been the case since the 1990s. Augusta and Savannah are perceived as larger, more populous markets, and less military-dependent as well. Also significant.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 PM

286 posts, read 438,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Nope, Columbus's city numbers are artificially inflated by consolidation. Columbus is definitely Georgia's fourth city for all intents and purposes (just as Miami is really Florida's largest city, not Jacksonville). Savannah has 50,000 more people in its metro area than Columbus, and that is significant. Also, Savannah has visitors and Columbus doesn't -- not in any real terms other than business travelers and military officials visiting Benning. This means that Columbus pretty much always follows Augusta and Savannah in landing its first national chain store, restaurant or retail club. Very few exceptions to that, and that's been the case since the 1990s. Augusta and Savannah are perceived as larger, more populous markets, and less military-dependent as well. Also significant.
oh well at least we tried I never understood costco anyway. I like sams club better.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:54 PM

967 posts, read 1,073,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Rose View Post
Actually, that site's past performance is my indicator. They haven't been wrong on their past lists. They have insider information. I don't post things that I haven't researched.

Northwest Atlantic handles their real estate transactions.
I'm not saying that the site is inaccurate, but by no means are they the final authoritative source for Costco store openings. Posters on this site have inside information in the area and the ones that do have been pretty spot on. Based on that the word is that Costco is currently in contract negotiations. While still a rumor it's a lot more substantial than just someone hearing that they might be looking in the area. Also I know real estate can take a long time and Costco is a lot bigger store than something like another McDonald's or Burger King, so I'm not too surprised if they have been looking in the area for quite a long time. I was quite glad when I heard they are finally making progress on locating in Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA