U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 PM

10 posts, read 7,276 times
Default Young guy moving to town

Hey y'all, I'm a white male in my early 20s and potentially relocating to Columbus for a job. I'm from Ga and have visited before, but I'm not totally familiar with the area and its people. I recently graduated college and I'm single, so I'm hoping to find a lively area of town. What part of the northside would I find people most like myself? Also, where are the local hangouts?

Thanks,
Mark
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 04:57 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,442,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint1908 View Post
Hey y'all, I'm a white male in my early 20s and potentially relocating to Columbus for a job. I'm from Ga and have visited before, but I'm not totally familiar with the area and its people. I recently graduated college and I'm single, so I'm hoping to find a lively area of town. What part of the northside would I find people most like myself? Also, where are the local hangouts?

Thanks,
Mark
Welcome to Columbus. If you are looking for an apartment, check out anything that is built by Greystone. They have properties all over North Columbus. A lot of young people live in those communties. As far as hangouts, most people go downtown along Broadway. There are a lot of good bars, clubs, and restaurants downtown. Columbus easily has the best nightlife outside of metro Atlanta, Athens, and Savannah. Downtown is a lot of fun. Other places that are fun are Locos in Midtown, The Suite, The Tavern at Main Street, etc. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm actually hoping to rent a small house (need a garage). The thing is I don't want to live in the middle of suburbia. Renting in the historic district seems like it could be fun, but I hear crime is worse in that area. Any suggestions?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm actually hoping to rent a small house (need a garage). The thing is I don't want to live in the middle of suburbia. Renting in the historic district seems like it could be fun, but I hear crime is worse in that area. Any suggestions?
Crime isn't too bad over there. Just stay north of Macon Road. Check out Lakebottom Park. Great area where a lot of young people live. It is a lot like Grant Park or Inman Park in Atlanta. Older homes that have been fixed up nicely. With the way the market is, I would just buy. You could buy for the same amount as if you rented. Lakebottom is minutes from downtown. Locos is over there. Place is a lot of fun. Where are you moving from?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:27 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,229,182 times
What? Crime isn't too bad in the historic district. Not while being minutes away from the police station. Lol

Old 06-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
What? Crime isn't too bad in the historic district. Not while being minutes away from the police station. Lol
It is no worse than anywhere else.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 PM

111 posts, read 72,710 times
Lake Bottom Park? Be fair now people been gettin' robbed and shot in the areas that boarder that park but the risk of that happening is everywhere like I've said before no one place is crime proof and the historic district has a crime problem as well even near a police station hell I live by a police precinct the one on Buena Vista Road and nothing has changed by their presence you can go on youtube right now and look up a fight that happened in my area i think in like 2010 a month or 2 after the new precinct had been built and officially commissioned and in the video which happened at that Mcdonalds continued with no police intervention you would of thought even when dude shot in the air police would of took notice and checked to see what was happening even though the precinct is merely a few spots down they were like ghosts. haha. I love my city don't get me wrong and welcome to Columbus by the way but I just figured Id give a more realistic response regardless of where you choose to live at the end of the day it's all what you make of it.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the input y'all. I'm from just north of Atlanta and totally understand that crime is everywhere. I'll check out the areas mentioned next time I'm down. Speaking of the police how big is CPD? A few buddies of mine work for Atlanta PD and were considering transferring. Is it a good department to work for?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input y'all. I'm from just north of Atlanta and totally understand that crime is everywhere. I'll check out the areas mentioned next time I'm down. Speaking of the police how big is CPD? A few buddies of mine work for Atlanta PD and were considering transferring. Is it a good department to work for?
Far as I know it is a good force. I know they have expanded it over the last few years so there are probably job opportunities. Send them this link Protect Columbus : Columbus, Georgia Police Department Recruitment Web Site

Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 PM

Thanks, I'll be sure to pass that info along.

I've been looking at rental houses in the historic downtown area and I can't seem to find any with a garage. Is this typical of the area being that many of the houses are older (street parking)? Maybe I'll have more luck looking in the Lakebottom area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA