Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Not at all. Augusta pales in comparison. There are no GA cities that compare to the mid-size cities in NC.
Augusta comes closest, mainly due to size. It is in the tier of MSAs that are between 500K-1 million, just like Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Durham. Augusta is a little lower than them on the totem pole, but they are all peer cities nonetheless. Augusta compares favorably with those three in terms of retail and the medical industry in particular.

Columbus isn't quite yet in that tier of cities, although it comes closer to matching the NC second-tier cities (particularly Greensboro and Winston-Salem) in terms of its corporate base than Augusta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 PM

354 posts, read 627,594 times
@ Rising Star it may not be understandable to you that i decided to compare these two cities I just found it kinda interesting to see what it would be like to compare these two

Old 02-12-2014, 07:05 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Greensboro and Winston Salem are both the same metro area and significantly larger than Augusta.

I think saying that well, Columbus is the 2nd largest metro in GA, so it's the most similar to Greensboro is silly and misguided. The better discussion is what NC city is most comparable to Columbus (considering that is more related to the OP) and the answer is Fayetteville... similar size city and both home to large military bases...

Old 02-12-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Greensboro and Winston Salem are both the same metro area and significantly larger than Augusta.

I think saying that well, Columbus is the 2nd largest metro in GA, so it's the most similar to Greensboro is silly and misguided. The better discussion is what NC city is most comparable to Columbus (considering that is more related to the OP) and the answer is Fayetteville... similar size city and both home to large military bases...
Columbus is the second-largest municipality in Georgia, not metro. But I agree that Fayetteville is most like Columbus.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

Exactly. Thinking that Augusta is in the same league as the Greensboro area is just plain silly.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Yeah they in the same Metro The Piedmont Triad Region that consists of Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
Columbus is the second-largest municipality in Georgia, not metro. But I agree that Fayetteville is most like Columbus.
I meant to say Augusta.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM

And Augusta is GAs 2nd Largest Metro Not Columbus. Now if anything Columbus surpassed The City limits of Augusta in city population which aint that much bigger than Augusta if u ask me

Augusta 197,872
Columbus 198,413 so that aint much difference to me

Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Yeah they in the same Metro The Piedmont Triad Region that consists of Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point.
Exactly, it is all one large area. There is no city in Georgia that can compete against that area.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Exactly, it is all one large area. There is no city in Georgia that can compete against that area.
Yes, they are one CSA that consists of two separate MSAs. As individual MSAs, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Augusta are all in the same league, along with other regional MSAs like Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Chattanooga, etc. However, as a singular region (CSA), no, the Triad has no equivalent in GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA