Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:58 AM

23 posts, read 38,255 times

Advertisements

what is a DTA box?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 12:31 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,855,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy75 View Post
what is a DTA box?
Digital Transport Adapter, they look like this and are required for WOW! customers to continue to receive ANY channels, Mediacom doesn't require this.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 PM

that doesn't make any sense...doesn't the hdmi cable from the cable box just go into one of the hdmi inputs on your tv? (actually I route mine through the xbox one for its oneguide overlay but same thing)

Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM

ah I looked it up. that box is if you have analog inputs on your TV...you must have an ancient ancient tv. they don't require that for someone with a digital tv (it wouldn't even work as it converts a digital signal to analog)...what's going on is that wow must have gone all digital while mediacom must still have legacy outputs.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
ah I looked it up. that box is if you have analog inputs on your TV...you must have an ancient ancient tv. they don't require that for someone with a digital tv (it wouldn't even work as it converts a digital signal to analog)...what's going on is that wow must have gone all digital while mediacom must still have legacy outputs.
No, they require them for analog TV's as well as digital TVs with QAM tuners. EVERY TV has to have one or they can't receive ANY channels.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Same will be true for Charter come June(ish) when they flip the switch on full digital. The set top box is required for all channels because they are encrypted at the head-end and the box is your decoder.

On the plus side, it frees up space for high speed internet... and since that's all I pay for, I'm happy.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:51 PM

no. they can't require a DTA for a TV with digital inputs (i.e. any HDTV) because it wouldn't work then. a DTA converts a digital signal to an analog output. it would be technologically nonsensical to use a DTA between the cable box and the TV (in fact, more modern HDTVs don't even have an analog input so it would be technologically impossible). now you'll need a digital cable box for an HDTV (even if it had an onboard tuner that generally won't work because of the encryption)...but that is not the same thing as DTA. a DTA is merely for someone with a legacy TV (in 2014!)

Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
no. they can't require a DTA for a TV with digital inputs (i.e. any HDTV) because it wouldn't work then. a DTA converts a digital signal to an analog output. it would be technologically nonsensical to use a DTA between the cable box and the TV (in fact, more modern HDTVs don't even have an analog input so it would be technologically impossible). now you'll need a digital cable box for an HDTV (even if it had an onboard tuner that generally won't work because of the encryption)...but that is not the same thing as DTA. a DTA is merely for someone with a legacy TV (in 2014!)
No reason to continue to bicker about this, we'll let the fine print speak for itself:

Quote:
Once we begin the digital transition in your region, if your TV is currently connected to digital equipment (including Digital Set Top Boxes, Digital Receivers, HD Receivers, DVRs, HD DVRs or authorized CableCARDs), you do not need a Digital Adapter for that TV. To continue viewing WOW! Cable without interruption, you will need a WOW! Digital Adapter or other WOW! digital equipment connected to your TV.
(via https://www.wowdigitaladapter.com/FAQ.aspx)

WOW! is and can require you to have a DTA set-top box to receive all or any of their channels. FCC requires that they provide a statement letting customers know you're going to do this, but it's not illegal. You'll see an article here showing that Comcast did the same thing; Comcast encrypts all cable channels, requires all customers to use a set-top box | Digital Trends

@Brian_M explained the same thing below that Charter is doing. This can all be done with un-encrypted QAM channels but they choose to require a DTA box because... that creates revenue!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:16 PM

read again please.

"if your TV is currently connected to digital equipment....you do not need a Digital Adapter for that TV."

here's your problem: you think a digital set-top cable receiver and a DTA are the same thing. they are not.

a DTA is an adaptor to convert a digital signal to an analog signal for someone with a really really ancient television. almost no one has those anymore.

a digital cable receiver of which there are many varieties (see the WOW quote above) is a receiver for a digital cable signal which then transfers that same signal (plus an overlay or recording functions etc.) to your TV (plus for some of us a separate audio output). THERE IS NO DIGITAL TO ANALOG CONVERSION. Full-stop. you appear to confuse an ordinary cable box with a DTA. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. But yes, you must have one or the other...if you intend to watch television in the 21st century. the real question isn't why would they charge for a DTA (which they had to provide for free until the end of 2012) but why the heck anyone would still have a TV with analog inputs in 2014.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
read again please.

"if your TV is currently connected to digital equipment....you do not need a Digital Adapter for that TV."

here's your problem: you think a digital set-top cable receiver and a DTA are the same thing. they are not.

a DTA is an adaptor to convert a digital signal to an analog signal for someone with a really really ancient television. almost no one has those anymore.

a digital cable receiver of which there are many varieties (see the WOW quote above) is a receiver for a digital cable signal which then transfers that same signal (plus an overlay or recording functions etc.) to your TV (plus for some of us a separate audio output). THERE IS NO DIGITAL TO ANALOG CONVERSION. Full-stop. you appear to confuse an ordinary cable box with a DTA. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING. But yes, you must have one or the other...if you intend to watch television in the 21st century. the real question isn't why would they charge for a DTA (which they had to provide for free until the end of 2012) but why the heck anyone would still have a TV with analog inputs in 2014.
First you asked me "What is a DTA?" and I told you, now you're expert? You left out the most important part of the quote "(including Digital Set Top Boxes, Digital Receivers, HD Receivers, DVRs, HD DVRs or authorized CableCARDs)", all of these are boxes that are provided by (for a fee) WOW! - none of those say "Digital TV with QAM" but since you still don't believe me, here is a direct quote from the WOW! Network Manager in Columbus:

Me: Can you verify for me that a TV with a Digital QAM tuner will not receive the channels? We have a lot of TV's and $2/mo. will add up.
Network Manager: Once we go full digital a TV with a QAM receiver will not receive content without a converter of some type. All channels will be encrypted.

I have extensive experience in working with WOW!, Mediacom and Charter. I've hooked up these boxes at businesses, and multiple home environments. I'm giving you the facts, straight and you just seem to not want to believe.

Lastly, I think you're confusing a DTA (provided by cable companies) with a Digital Converter Box that was regulated by the FCC back in 2011. Digital Television | FCC.gov

Make sure you know what you're talking about before you go proclaiming to be an expert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA