Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:50 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
What exactly did deregulation do that hurt airports like Columbus?
Airline deregulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Airline dereg: more a failure than Matt Yglesias says | LBO News from Doug Henwood

Effects of Airline Deregulation [Mackinac Center]

The High Price of Airline Deregulation | Alternet

Should we worry about cities abandoned by airlines? - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 08:55 AM

427 posts, read 550,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
That's great news! I really think our airport is underutilized and a city this size needs more direct flights to different destinations. Hopefully attracting more airlines will open new direct destinations. I think more competition will definitely help reduce ticket prices. I'm looking forward to see what develops with this.
I completely agree.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:22 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
I went to NYC in March. We got a great deal flying out of Columbus, which means you go through check-in here and skip that step in ATL, which is a very good thing! It was so fast and hassle free. Also loved that flight from here to Dallas when I flew to LA a couple of years back. That flight is no longer available.

We definitely need more destinations.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 PM

967 posts, read 1,073,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I went to NYC in March. We got a great deal flying out of Columbus, which means you go through check-in here and skip that step in ATL, which is a very good thing! It was so fast and hassle free. Also loved that flight from here to Dallas when I flew to LA a couple of years back. That flight is no longer available.

We definitely need more destinations.

While a lot of us pass over our airport in favor of Groome or other ground transportation, I think it's wa good idea to check tickets prices. I've heard from friends who have occasionally found flying out of Columbus to be slightly cheaper. I'd say if anyone is flying out, it's worthwhile checking the price from flying out of Columbus, you might get lucky and find a good deal on occasion.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:47 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurluvr View Post
I have mixed feelings about it.

From what I understand from my husband, current air fares are ridiculously expensive from there now and most of the folks he works with drive to ATL to fly. So, hopefully the fares will be reduced if additional air service is brought in. I'm sure I would rather fly from Columbus than ATL the few times a year I do fly.

On the other hand, part of my "excitement", if you will, about moving to the Columbus area is that it has more "small town" appeal than the large metro ATL that I am accustomed to... less traffic, etc., etc. A busier airport might change that some (which isn't a bad thing I know). BUT.... I guess since we will be living in the "boonies" (Cataula) much of my time will be spent in the backwoods anyway.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for growth/moving forward.... I just wouldn't want my new "small town Columbus" to become a mini version of ATL :-)
I hate to break it to you, but Columbus isn't a small city nor does it feel like one. Columbus is extremely spread out, with a highly (undervalued) urbanized core and tons of development in all directions. You have to hit the intersection of Manchester and J.R. Allen Parkway (or in that direction on Macon Rd) to find the little bit of "rural" feeling to Columbus.

As someone pointed out, Columbus has over 200k people with another 120k in the immediate surroundings. Throw in Fort Benning, and you're talking about well over 400k people in Columbus on any given day. Not small by any means. And to a certain degree, Columbus is like Atlanta. Especially demographically speaking from a geographical sense. To the north, Green Island Hills is their Buckhead and The Southside of Columbus is akin the southside of Atlanta.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:33 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
What exactly did deregulation do that hurt airports like Columbus?
Under regulation one of the government's main goals was universal service.

To a large extent air carriers were give the ability to have some monopoly pricing power on larger routes (where they make too much money for the service), but were required to provide service to small areas where they lost money on that route.

With deregulation... airlines over night dropped routes that lost money and competition heated up on large markets where various airlines got to maintain barriers to competition.

The only comment I have to mention to Newsboy... in this case Columbus is big enough to maintain some air service. With the hub and spoke system I'd say they are served better. Sure, people will need to connect, but they can get almost anywhere domestically with a single connection.

Now ticket prices to small and mid-size markets are a bit higher. With less demand, the route can not capture economies of scale to make operations cheaper. (aka... smaller plane burns more fuel per passenger & there is a higher risk of seats going unfilled... or sold last minute at a low price)

They also replaced the concept of universal service with a competitive subsidy program. I don't mind the subsidy program, but it needs to be changed to include different transportation options.

For example there is a heavy subsidy for small carriers that move relatively few people from Athens GA. It isn't even a hub airline and people must buy two tickets to connect and go through an inconvenient process... and its expensive.

The subsidy would be far better spent on rail service or a specialized bus service with a direct airport connection in mind... that way it served other factors.

Whereas a mid-size regional city in the central part of our country that is much further away from other large cities (unlike the east coast), might be better served through an air subsidy than bus or rail.

It would also be worth changing rules to make connections better for multiple transportation types. (ie. special security lines and baggage check for those traveling on a special airport bus)

Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsurluvr View Post
I have mixed feelings about it.

From what I understand from my husband, current air fares are ridiculously expensive from there now and most of the folks he works with drive to ATL to fly. So, hopefully the fares will be reduced if additional air service is brought in. I'm sure I would rather fly from Columbus than ATL the few times a year I do fly.

On the other hand, part of my "excitement", if you will, about moving to the Columbus area is that it has more "small town" appeal than the large metro ATL that I am accustomed to... less traffic, etc., etc. A busier airport might change that some (which isn't a bad thing I know). BUT.... I guess since we will be living in the "boonies" (Cataula) much of my time will be spent in the backwoods anyway.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for growth/moving forward.... I just wouldn't want my new "small town Columbus" to become a mini version of ATL :-)
Yea it is expensive, because the demand isn't big enough to capture economies of scale that make operations cheaper. This is a common problem for airports in smaller markets.

To the end consumer that lives in Columbus flying privately it very well might be a better option to go to ATL, but also consider other types of consumers.

Many business travelers to do business in Columbus need same day access in and out. Not having to get a rental car in Atlanta and add the extra drive makes doing business much more possible. It also saves the added cost on labor to the employer for the traveling employee, so for some types it is still cheaper to fly to and from Columbus. The less time they travel, the more time they can work.

This is also why it is important economically for Columbus. It is increased access.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Savannah/Hilton Head airport passenger numbers soaring | BusinessInSavannah.com

Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
What does this have to do with Columbus? Nobody cares!!!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:42 PM

427 posts, read 550,929 times
Quote:
What does this have to do with Columbus? Nobody cares!!!
LOL

FWIW:
I don't think I would mind southwest.... ANYONE BUT UNITED AND SPIRIT AIRLINES....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA