Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchristensen View Post
No, we didn't he was only offered this job and we had to take it. (first job, just coming out of school) Is this place as bad as everyone says it is? I am already terrified and worried about it. Are there any redeeming qualities at all?
All kidding aside. Columbus is not nearly as bad as some of the trolls say it is. My house and cars have never been broken into. Nor has anything been stolen from my yard or storage sheds. My children have never been threatened or even been in a fight and they grew up here. They graduated with honors at the top of their class and they are doing extremely well in college. Do yourself a favor. Try it out, if you do not like it, leave. I will admit Columbus can't be all things for every one, but neither can Atlanta, Chicago, New York City or L.A. But, don't let some one other than you and your husband decide whether or not you like the place. The economy should around in about 2 - 3 years at that point you should have formed you own impression of the city based on your experiences not some else's. Besides, if you guys are just graduating from college, then you will most likely move several more times before settling on a place to raise children and retire. I wish you guys well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 AM

201 posts, read 540,759 times
Quote:
No, we didn't he was only offered this job and we had to take it. (first job, just coming out of school) Is this place as bad as everyone says it is? I am already terrified and worried about it. Are there any redeeming qualities at all?
If you look at past posts you will see that these 2 are about the only ones on any columbus related forum that thinks the town is a mini atlanta.
Columbus Georgia is progressive?
JLA uses the same answers....(try it out and if you don't like it leave!!) as well as comparisons to NY,LA or Chicago..
The bottom line is the city is in real trouble economically and the BRAC situation is going to cause a BIG problem here as noted by ALL city councilors and local chamber members.

I rest my case...

Last edited by Columbusattorney; 02-15-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
In anticipation of some of the responses this thread is sure to receive, here's a link to the Columbus PD crime stats page. They haven't released the 2008 stats yet but I'm fairly sure they will be higher than 2007.

Columbus Crime Statistics

Adding a few more sources...
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed -notice how in some categories (murder, robbery, property crimes) you have a higher risk of being a victim in Muscogee County than in the entire country.
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Columbus, GA snapshot - check out the "Quality of Life" section.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed -ranks the safest neighborhoods in Columbus
ATLCOL1/JLA....
Here are factual sources....have a look
Stop misleading folks....this is not New York,Chicago,LA or any other big city!!
Crime is out of control citywide as any local law enforcement officer will tell you.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 10:06 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
ATLCOL1/JLA....
Here are factual sources....have a look
Stop misleading folks....this is not New York,Chicago,LA or any other big city!!
Crime is out of control citywide as any local law enforcement officer will tell you.
No one said it was like LA or Chicago. Where are you getting that from? As for the crime, it is no more than any other city. Both Atlanta and Macon have seen huge spikes in crime, if not more than Columbus. It is due to the economic times. Quit making Columbus out to be the only city with crime. Every city has crime. You are the one who is misleading folks. Stop trying to scare people.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
No one said it was like LA or Chicago. Where are you getting that from? As for the crime, it is no more than any other city. Both Atlanta and Macon have seen huge spikes in crime, if not more than Columbus. It is due to the economic times. Quit making Columbus out to be the only city with crime. Every city has crime. You are the one who is misleading folks. Stop trying to scare people.
The bottom line is these folks want to move to Columbus so why would they really care what it is like anywhere else...
The situation in Columbus is nearly out of control and more layoff announcements and closures are pending according to last commerce meeting and the BRAC situation has the school board and city officials in a panic as they are not only not getting fed assistance the state has also cut funding.
All facts...

Old 02-15-2009, 10:57 AM

244 posts, read 865,222 times
We have lived here for almost 3 years and the only redeeming quality we have found is that there is virtually no traffic and it doesn't take very long to get anywhere in the city. I've commented at length in previous threads about why I dislike Columbus so I won't go through it again. You can search the forum for Columbus, GA threads and you will see that there are people on this board who seem to have a vested interest in misleading newcomers about what Columbus is really like. Are there people here who like Columbus? Yes. Most of them were born and raised here and have not seen much outside of the Columbus area so their view is myopic, at best. They are not objective sources of information. You will have to do your own research and come to your own conclusions. When you get here, I can assure you that your reaction will be immediate. You will either like it or hate it.

We have lived in Georgia for 14 years. A little over 10 of those years have been spent living in metro Atlanta. This is the first time that our home has been burglarized in, of all places, what others would like to believe is a "safe" city. The stats speak for themselves. It is not normal for a town the size of Columbus to have crime rates that are higher than the national average in certain categories.

Quote:

Old 02-15-2009, 11:02 AM

244 posts, read 865,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
All kidding aside. Columbus is not nearly as bad as some of the trolls say it is. My house and cars have never been broken into. Nor has anything been stolen from my yard or storage sheds.
Your experience cannot be a barometer for anyone else's. That's why you, ATLCOL, and a few others rub people the wrong way. You guys act as though your impression of Columbus is a reflection of everyone's reality when it is not. I've been on this board long enough for you to know I'm not a troll. I'll be happy to scan and upload a copy of our police report since the thought of this happening seems so foreign to you. It's wonderful that you've never been a victim but that is simply not the case for everyone.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
Your experience cannot be a barometer for anyone else's. That's why you, ATLCOL, and a few others rub people the wrong way. You guys act as though your impression of Columbus is a reflection of everyone's reality when it is not. I've been on this board long enough for you to know I'm not a troll. I'll be happy to scan and upload a copy of our police report since the thought of this happening seems so foreign to you. It's wonderful that you've never been a victim but that is simply not the case for everyone.

I agree 100 percent....Thanks again.
My hat is off to you for a non biased post with FACTUAL figures.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Ever think you and Columbusattorney rub people the wrong way? All you guys do is try to scare people away. You stretch the truth a lot.
Hard to stretch the FACTS...Chris.
You are just basically a stranger on the outside looking in and are not in touch with local civic/community issues but basically hearsay.
Thanks again to sahara for calling your hand as you two asked for it with posts of little substance.
I think this subject has been addressed properly and with facts......case is closed.

Gotta sign off folks.....Have a good day!!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:23 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
Chris,
Stop wasting your time.
You are back to the why not move statement again.
As I said before ....case closed.
Take a nap.
Knew you couldn't sign off. I am glad to be back. Been traveling for work.

Glad to see you love Columbus so much that you can't find any reason to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA