Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
A connection to Macon? For what? There is no major draw at all. It is the 4th or 5th largest city in the state. Same with Augusta. What draw is there? None. A line to Savannah via Macon might make sense. What does make sense is that we have very powerful leaders pushing this. Columbus would benefit tremendously. With the largest corporate base outside of metro Atlanta, home to one of the world's largest and most important military bases, and a growing tourism industry, kudos to Columbus leaders making sure we are ahead of Georgia's other 2nd tier cities. The progressive leadership of Columbus and Atlanta see a need. I fully support it.
The Macon is a draw because of its location!!!! The location of Macon serves a cross road for most all existing major Rail lines, Transportation arteries like 475, 75 and 16 and connects directly to Savannah which is a major sport tourism and the port of Savannah. Plus Macon is going to serve as a transportation hub for the US federal Govt plans for Hi speed rail with existing line already connecting Atlanta to Savannah and down to Jacksonville all going through Macon. Google the US High speed proposed plans; Macon is going to serve as a major connection Hub because of its location. Do your research be fore you blast off; making yourself look like a fool.

New GDOT report shows high-speed rail routes serving Atlanta as feasible, costly; could begin service in 2028 | SaportaReport

High-speed rail between Jacksonville and Atlanta? | members.jacksonville.com

Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at all rail lines running through Macon
https://www.dot.ga.gov/travelinginge...ap-2013-14.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:11 PM

102 posts, read 166,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Ahhh,their just jealous because Columbus is quickly becoming the H.B.I.C when it comes to the 2nd tire cities.
The what?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,844,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising-Star View Post
The what?
Google it.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:16 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,421 times
Whoosh! From Atlanta to Columbus in 61 minutes | Political Insider blog

I just read this blog article. One interesting thing to quote that I have not heard before is..

Quote:
Tomlinson envisions it as the first link of a chain that would run to Montgomery and Mobile, Ala., and then to New Orleans.
I had an idea that this would be great to extend westward to connect Columbus and Atlanta to cities in that direction, I'm glad to see this mentioned.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post

I just read this blog article. One interesting thing to quote that I have not heard before is..

I had an idea that this would be great to extend westward to connect Columbus and Atlanta to cities in that direction, I'm glad to see this mentioned.
Extending the line there makes perfect sense. I can definitely see that happening. If it goes to NO it could eventually extend to Houston. The utilization would skyrocket at that point. I imagine Spring 2015 is the next big step. Glad to see this moving so quickly compared to other proposals.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:40 AM

178 posts, read 209,763 times
Quote:
Little update from the meeting in D.C.

Tomlinson: High speed rail line to be economic catalyst for Columbus

A new high speed rail line to connect Columbus, Newnan and Atlanta could create about 11,000 jobs in Columbus, and about 40,000 jobs across the state.

Columbus would make about $5 million the first year which will allow the city to pay any bond or loan payments. The high-speed rail is expected to have about 1.1 million trips made in the first year on the line. There will be one track with eight electronic trains making about six trips per day. It will travel up to 220 mph.

Riders will be able to travel from Atlanta to Newnan in about 12 minutes, and Atlanta to Columbus would only take about 60 minutes.

The high speed rail line would create multiple opportunities for those living in Atlanta, Newnan and Columbus.

Rail is something Fort Benning is also excited about. It would give direct access to a major mode of deploying our troops. The rail line would be another means to doing that. It's $41 for one way for everyone.

The NEPA study, which is an environmental impact study, would need to present a grant in order to advance the rail line project. This is the next step. The NEPA study would be between $3.5 million and $4 million. The city anticipates this happening by Spring 2015.

This rail line project would also help The Columbus Airport.

Quote from Tomlinson:

Tomlinson said she expects to have the rail line established in Columbus by 2030.

Talk about ambitious plans!!!!

Airport slightly underutilized?......no kidding!
This would suck the economic life out of Columbus as all leisure dollars will flow northward.
Completed by 2030?.....to lay track,get land clearances etc?
Look how long it took to four lane Macon Road to Ft Valley due to land purchase delays.
Heck they haven't even finished Moon Road and it has been nearly 10 years or more.......rofl.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:13 AM

322 posts, read 603,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Reporter View Post
Airport slightly underutilized?......no kidding!
This would suck the economic life out of Columbus as all leisure dollars will flow northward.
Completed by 2030?.....to lay track,get land clearances etc?
Look how long it took to four lane Macon Road to Ft Valley due to land purchase delays.
Heck they haven't even finished Moon Road and it has been nearly 10 years or more.......rofl.
I'm pretty sure most of the land already is owned by the gov't or one of the train carriers - I think most of the trail is along Interstate right-of-ways or existing train tracks that need to be modified.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRd View Post
I'm pretty sure most of the land already is owned by the gov't or one of the train carriers - I think most of the trail is along Interstate right-of-ways or existing train tracks that need to be modified.
That's exactly the case hence the reason the project can get finished faster. Thank you for pointing this out .

Old 08-15-2014, 10:25 AM

446 posts, read 678,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post

As an Atlanta native and current Mobile resident(2 yrs but moving back home) Mobile will find a way to say no to the rail line even though it would be beneficial. They will fight about it especially if the DOT wants to get a few million from the feds to help out. The last 2 months they have been fighting about the supposed I-10 bridge to relieve traffic on the causeway which I found out that they have been fighting about it for almost 25 years. Mobile will say no just to say no

Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 AM

178 posts, read 209,763 times
Quote:
That's exactly the case hence the reason the project can get finished faster. Thank you for pointing this out .
No way this can be done in 15 years.
I did notice this is another Obama giveaway so that pretty much says it all.
Local republican city leaders going against the grain as usual..lol.
Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA