Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 04:28 PM

286 posts, read 434,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
You're ridiculous. Why wouldn't people believe me when I am stating facts and statistics from the army and people working with it. I certainly wouldn't call that "brainwashing" or playing "mind games." The fact of the matter is that Augusta's base is only expected to loose 4,000, but those would be counteracted by over 4,000 jobs that will be created by Cyber command. That is a fact, not my opinion. Savannah's base is projected to loose more than Benning, but since it isn't even in Savannah's metro area, it will not be as directly affected. Also not my opinion. Anyone can see that a base right next to a city vs. a base not in a city's metro area would have a different impact if it were to lose jobs. Common sense. I never once said that those bases would not be touched, just that the effects of those jobs lost at the bases of Augusta and Savannah would not have as much of a dramatic impact on their areas as it would in Columbus, since Fort Benning is directly under Columbus and it is very dependent on military. Also common sense. I really don't know why you think that I care about Benning being the largest base, because that is pretty irrelevant to the topic at land, and to the rest of Georgia. I actually don't see it as a blessing that Columbus has such a massive base nearby, it just made the city dependent on military, instead of focusing on industries that would bring the city sustainable growth and was resistant to cuts. Not something I would be bragging about. The fact of the matter is that Augusta and Savannah's bases will be effected, but because of the reasons listed about, the metro's themselves will not be affected much, unlike Columbus. Stop living in denial and accept the facts.
The reason why the army bases near augusta and savannah wont have a more direct impact on these two cities is because fort gordon and hunter army field are small bases compared to fort benning. Imagine if fort benning was located in augusta and savannah area then augusta or savannah would be impacted because fort benning is a large base . Im thinking all you want is for fort benning to loose a lot of people so it will make the metro population of columbus drop and then so augusta or savannah could take over as georgia's second most populated city.You should be supporting fort benning and columbus and hoping the best for us and our area. I just want to know one thing Why can't we just help support each other's cities and help each other build our selfs up instead of always tearing each other down. I swear the cities in georgia are so diverse. You never here about anybody on the alabama citydata forum always putting down each others cities there always supporting each other's cities.The georgia city data forum is horrible about this

Last edited by columbusmetro89; 12-24-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 04:52 PM

1,980 posts, read 2,081,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmetro89 View Post
. Im thinking all you want is for fort benning to loose a lot of people so it will make the metro population of columbus drop and then so augusta or savannah could take over as georgia's second most populated city.
Actually, Augusta (575,000) and Savannah (361,000) are both already larger metro areas than Columbus (316,000). However, Columbus proper (202,000) will probably remain the state's second-largest municipality whatever happens with Ft. Benning. To change that, Savannah (142,000) would have to consolidate with unincorporated Chatham County (highly unlikely), or there'd have to be a rapid growth spurt in Augusta-Richmond (194,000) in the next few years (that's possible but also unlikely). So Columbus will retain its "2nd city" ranking. Does that make you happy?

Old 12-24-2014, 04:55 PM

515 posts, read 626,790 times
Quote:
The reason why the army bases near augusta and savannah wont have a more direct impact on these two cities is because fort gordon and hunter army field are small bases compared to fort benning. Imagine if fort benning was located in augusta and savannah area then augusta or savannah would be impacted because fort benning is a large base . Im thinking all you want is for fort benning to loose a lot of people so it will make the metro population of columbus drop and then so augusta or savannah could take over as georgia's second most populated city.You should be supporting fort benning and columbus and hoping the best for us and our area. I just want to know one thing Why can't we just help support each other's cities and help each other build our selfs up instead of always tearing each other down. I swear the cities in georgia are so diverse. You never here about anybody on the alabama citydata forum always putting down each others cities there always supporting each other's cities.The georgia city data forum is horrible about this
Fort Gordon is gaining more than it is loosing. Fort Stewart is not in Savannah's metro area. That is the reason that these cuts will not have much a direct affect on Augusta and Savannah. It honestly has nothing to do with base size. All I have been trying to tell you this whole time is that these cuts are going to effect Columbus a whole lot more than they will effect the other two. I was just saying that Columbus should be prepared for the worse in case these cuts are finalized. No cuts are good, but these cuts would have a significant negative impact to Columbus, which would not be the case with Augusta and Savannah. Simple. I do not want Columbus to lose people, thousands of jobs, and billions of dollars to it's local economy, but that's what those cuts will bring if they happen. That's why I was saying that Columbus needs to be concerned about this and also work on bringing more industry to the city, because it could have a larger effect on the city than you may think. You know Fort Benning is the reason Columbus is 2nd most populated city anyways. Plus, metro pop. is what matters most to developers, businesses. etc, so I wouldn't worry about that anyways. I'm not wishing bad luck on Columbus or anything, just stating facts on how major this situation is projected to be, since some of the Columbus posters were saying there was nothing to worry about, and the cuts would effect Augusta & Savannah the same way, when that is not the case. I have nothing against Columbus, believe it or not.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Actually, Augusta (575,000) and Savannah (361,000) are both already larger metro areas than Columbus (316,000). However, Columbus proper (202,000) will probably remain the state's second-largest municipality whatever happens with Ft. Benning. To change that, Savannah (142,000) would have to consolidate with unincorporated Chatham County (highly unlikely), or there'd have to be a rapid growth spurt in Augusta-Richmond (194,000) in the next few years (that's possible but also unlikely). So Columbus will retain its "2nd city" ranking. Does that make you happy?
This is true. Augusta is also not consolidated with all of Richmond County, unlike Muscogee. It is unlikely to consolidate. If that were the case, Augusta would be a little over 202,000.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
Fort Gordon is gaining more than it is loosing. Fort Stewart is not in Savannah's metro area. That is the reason that these cuts will not have much a direct affect on Augusta and Savannah. It honestly has nothing to do with base size. All I have been trying to tell you this whole time is that these cuts are going to effect Columbus a whole lot more than they will effect the other two. I was just saying that Columbus should be prepared for the worse in case these cuts are finalized. No cuts are good, but these cuts would have a significant negative impact to Columbus, which would not be the case with Augusta and Savannah. Simple. I do not want Columbus to lose people, thousands of jobs, and billions of dollars to it's local economy, but that's what those cuts will bring if they happen. That's why I was saying that Columbus needs to be concerned about this and also work on bringing more industry to the city, because it could have a larger effect on the city than you may think. You know Fort Benning is the reason Columbus is 2nd most populated city anyways. Plus, metro pop. is what matters most to developers, businesses. etc, so I wouldn't worry about that anyways. I'm not wishing bad luck on Columbus or anything, just stating facts on how major this situation is projected to be, since some of the Columbus posters were saying there was nothing to worry about, and the cuts would effect Augusta & Savannah the same way, when that is not the case. I have nothing against Columbus, believe it or not.
Ok great Im glad you support us. And I do agree with you when you say we need more industry jobs. My question is do you think columbus can attract industry jobs with us not having a full interstate coming threw the area.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:52 AM

179 posts, read 287,855 times
Valdosta,Tifton,Cordele,Macon Have full interstate access, dosen't seem to help them attract new factories.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky1 View Post
Valdosta,Tifton,Cordele,Macon Have full interstate access, dosen't seem to help them attract new factories.
Ok great point because I thought having full interstate access is normally where the industry jobs locate too along the busy interstate. because when I drive threw other cities who have full interstate access I always see the industry jobs right there off the interstate.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Ok great point because I thought having full interstate access is normally where the industry jobs locate too along the busy interstate. because when I drive threw other cities who have full interstate access I always see the industry jobs right there off the interstate.
That can be the case on some interstates, but certainly not all. Basically just heavily traveled ones. Columbus having an more interstate access probably wouldn't help Columbus attract more industry, as interstates don't solve all problems. Location is more of a factor than interstate, and Columbus will never be able to change its location. If companies have a choice between Columbus and nearby Atlanta, obviously Columbus would loose. If Columbus had "full" interstate access, it wouldn't be that heavily traveled, since Columbus isn't between any destinations and is not a destination itself, so it wouldn't attract extra business and industry. It would kinda be a waste of money, and I don't see it happening when there are so many better ways to spend money at the moment.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:31 PM

783 posts, read 1,151,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachTree_ View Post
As everyone here knows, Fort Benning is a huge contributor to the local economy and brings thousands of people to the area. In the summer of this year, it was announced that the army would be cutting about 11,000 soldiers and civilian jobs by 2020. With this, they are expecting more than 27,000 people to leave the area. This would mean cutting more than $1 billion dollars a year in income, sales, and taxes in the area. It would be minus $627 million in income alone. Now the army is saying that it is not a matter of if, but when. That would definitely be a hard hit for the economy of Columbus, and I don't know if Columbus would be able to survive such a massive blow. I would be less worried if Columbus was a more urban area that had enough business and other industry growth to counteract the cuts and balance things out, but sadly, that its not the case. Columbus is very dependent of Fort Benning, so I would imagine that this would be catastrophic to the local economy.
It would indeed be tough for Columbus to survive without Fort Benning as a cash cow.

Hard to predict what improvisations could be made to keep floating, but I feel we'll (the people of Columbus) find a way to keep on rolling, have to!

Old 12-26-2014, 11:37 PM

783 posts, read 1,151,411 times
Quote:
Ok great Im glad you support us. And I do agree with you when you say we need more industry jobs. My question is do you think columbus can attract industry jobs with us not having a full interstate coming threw the area.
Wasn't there discussion at one point of the possibility of expanding I-185 on south to Florida?

Did that idea dry up and blow away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA