U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2008, 02:26 PM

1,072 posts, read 558,762 times

Advertisements

I have always thougt that all of Georgia's Fall-line cities were pretty much the same... very similar in size, demographics, economies. I will give Columbus a slight edge in that it probably does have a more progressive local government than Augusta or Macon. Columbus also does have a bit more of a corporate presence than the other two. But if I had to choose a city in Georgia to live in outside of metro Atlanta, it would have to be Athens. It has far more culture than Augusta, Macon and Columbus put together. Downtown Athens never had to undergo a rennaissance... it's always been lively and full of activity. Then you have the presence of a major university that brings a diversity to Athens that you just cannot find in Augusta, Columbus, or Macon.
I guess I'm not all that impressed by shopping malls, chain restaurants, and decrepit skylines. Sometimes better things come in smaller packages.
Augusta, Macon, and Columbus are all just mediocre, bland medium-sized Southern cities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 05:40 PM

511 posts, read 1,765,920 times
Exclamation Good For You

We are not related and I havent commented on much of what he has said, partly because alot of it isnt true. I also stated that I didnt know much about Columbus but I know for sure it doesnt have more culture than Macon. Also for the talk about the mall, I will be at the Shoppes at River Crossing bright and early on March 19th the same day as my birthday when the Shoppes Open. Yea a city isnt based off a mall, thats why we have the Hay House, Georgia Sports & Music Hall of Fame, and other great ventures, but I do enjoy shopping and would like to be there when stores that are New to the whole state of Georgia except Atlanta open.

I have no problems with Columbus or deja-zebbie (I dont know you for you to site here and call me out) but I dont care for disrespect on anyone's behalf. You can take that as me just telling you or responding with some smart remark. Once again I am in no way form or fashion related to Mactwon Georgia Boy, but believe what you want. Also ill be taking pictures to share the beauty of the new mall that everyone is not fortunate to see, this is not your average mall, i've seen the mall up close and personal and recieved a tour from construction managers and its great, and its not two months from being done.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:06 AM

177 posts, read 684,228 times
Mayor,

You mention that you don't know me. Let me introduce myself: **I** was the person who TRIED to put salve on the last big Macon-Columbus battle. A battle that YOU were involved in. So, I was happy to see that in this current battle that your post appeared less confrontational.

BTW, I would like nothing BETTER than to see Macon turn into the kind of city it COULD be because it HAS the potential including some of the historic sites and other important things that you have mentioned. I'd like to add that the cherry blossoms are wonderful.

I think the new mall will be important to Macon and surrounding areas. What I would like more than a new mall is to see a cleaner, safer city with a better ambiance.

When I was MUCH younger my nearest town was Alexandria, Virginia. I lived in a rural area in the country and going to town meant going to Alexandria. If you've never been to Alexandria that's an OLD Colonial port city. When I lived near it it was so run down that one could actually step over dead rats on the sidewalks. I've returned to Alexandria many times (but not in the last 10 or so years) and was terrifically impressed that beautiful old warehouses where goods were historically unloaded and stored turned into areas for artists, GREAT restaurants and traditional taverns, etc. Alexandria had all the ingredients for a great upscale town (waterfront location, great history, cobblestone streets, George Washington's church, lots of colonial townhouses, etc.) but the emphasis for many years was on NEW DEVELOPMENT ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF TOWN instead of fixing up that beautiful historic infrastructure. Fortunately the emphasis turned and the town was revitalized. As I mentioned, I haven't visited there in over 10 years so I hope the town is still doing well.

During this same time period big parts of D.C. turned into a dump. All the beautiful corner flower beds on streets seem to have disappeared, even government buildings have boarded windows.

So, it seems like people get the kind of city they WORK for. D.C., of course, has it's own political problems with home rule.

As for Macon when I first saw it about five years ago I was almost in tears (literally) when I saw BEAUTIFUL historic buildings that had boarded up windows. The brick work on those buildings was fabulous. I knew Macon was an historic city and I was very excited to see it because I knew it would be my closest city. I was very, very disappointed. Shocked is a more accurate word. Fortunately during the last five years a lot of dumpy, rusting old gas stations and SOME other off-putting things have vanished.

It would be nice to see more emphasis in Macon on creating a better DAILY quality of life (in addition to shopping) and a focus on restoration rather than on new development. Seems like you WANT to be mayor in the future. Maybe if you DO become mayor you can focus on restoring some Southern charm and trying to make the city safer, cleaner (including the existing stores).

zebbie

Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 AM

If you look back I stated that both cities are different and unique, I also have sayed this several time "I dont know much about Columbus to rag on it." So was I envolved yes, but as far as this thread getting as far as it did, not I was not involved, I wished it would have stop before it started but did that happen, NO! Couuld it stop this week, mayb but your always going to have someone who wants to put there final two cents in. The city of Macon is working hard and most of the people on this site cant see that. I love this site, one of the greatest thats happened to me since Feb 2007, but we have to get from behin these screens and really go to see these cities.

Like I stated I dont know Columbus and I want to see what other people see in Columbus so, im planning a weekend trip to see for myself not see what other people think about it, and we need to stop going off he say, she say, tradition or nationalism (citylism in this case) thinking our Hometown is just the best thing thats offered out there.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 17,197 times
Default Mayor, Be Forewarned

Mayor,

Bring a book on your trip to Columbus (you'll be bored), some Immodium-AD, and a gun. Also, be sure to check out Wynnton Road, the very real dividing line between the North (whites) and the South (blacks). And ask yourself, why did Columbus build that pseudo-Buckhead strip shopping center way in North Columbus and, at the same time, build a public library on the South side of Wynnton (on top of a torn-down shopping mall)? To keep the blacks as far away from where the whites shop and to keep the blacks quiet by building a public library closer to their projects. I'm lily-white, but even I found the rampant racism in Columbus to be offensive.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:27 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,516,757 times
I see that you are back Deadman4U. You are entitled to your opinion, however strange it may be. And I would like to encourage you to continue reading and writing, whether it be on this site or in a class room or where ever it may be. Keep reading, writing and do a little math also. By the way, you might find this a little crazy, but we are building a very large museum on the south side of town, go figure. And we po white folks and po brown folks just don't know what we's gonna do with it, o' my, my, my! And we's about to build us a eyes skatin' rink and a skate boad park, we's loosing our minds over here, laud help us. Columbus wants people to see the Brown side of the town and spend money, sleep and eat there, we must have lost our minds over here in this po dump town. Thought maybe I should humor you. You seem to enjoy good natured humor.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:01 PM

lol, that was hilarious JLA, when I go on my trip I will try to be as balanced as possible, so not to put my life in danger. I wont be going into all the detials of my trip before I go but once I return I will hopefully have pictures, and words (hopefully all positive) to share with you great people on this site.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 PM

104 posts, read 32,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
lol, that was hilarious JLA, when I go on my trip I will try to be as balanced as possible, so not to put my life in danger. I wont be going into all the detials of my trip before I go but once I return I will hopefully have pictures, and words (hopefully all positive) to share with you great people on this site.
Jla didn't tell you that those new items are all being built in the highest crime areas in Columbus(all south side).
The museum is being built over the old city garbage dump near Benning....not kidding really!!
It is just the mentality this city has had for so long....

Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 558,762 times
I know all of the fall line cities quite well.. and there really isn't that much difference in any of them.. all have decaying inner city areas (Columbus has done a better job cleaning itself up though).. all have bad crime, gangs, black-white geographical dividing lines, etc..
Columbus does seems to have a more proactive local government.. Augusta and Macon local governments are more like three ring circus'.. all three cities have significant racial tension.. I think Augusta is the worst in that area... they can't talk about ordeing lunch without it descending into tracial slurs and name calling...nearly every vote falls along racial lines.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:51 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,516,757 times
Hold on there Disgusta. I spend way to much time in Atlanta metro to not notice the racial divide, even in Atlanta proper. Atlanta is still recognized as one of the most racially divided cities in the United States. The culture in and around Athens is basically Caucasian, and it should be since few African Americans, Asians or Hispanics attend the University of GA.
Bucket, did I not say that the museum would be built on the South Side in my post? Please stop fussing about nothing. The point is, they are being built. If you do not like the way the city government is being ran, then use your voting power, that's if you are a Columbus citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA