U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:46 PM

6,249 posts, read 5,098,504 times

Advertisements

This will so huge for the downtown area, with 1,800 additional students downtown, it will lead to more development in the area. The new building will open by fall 2016.
Columbus State University plans ‘transformational’ expansion on Ledger-Enquirer property | Business | Columbus Ledger Enquirer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 PM

4,169 posts, read 6,023,918 times
Massive opportunity for downtown. This should be a huge boost for continued downtown development.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:35 PM

286 posts, read 349,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
This will so huge for the downtown area, with 1,800 additional students downtown, it will lead to more development in the area. The new building will open by fall 2016.
Columbus State University plans ‘transformational’ expansion on Ledger-Enquirer property | Business | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

Great news I like the idea and all. But I looked at the proposed plan for the Ledger Enquirer building for CSU and it looks like they are basically going to slice the building in half and shortened it to three stories. I wonder if this will kinda takeaway a bit from our skyline. I don't understand why they are slicing the building short what if they need the extra room in the future again for future expansion and they are not going to have the room because they sliced the columbus ledguer building down to three stories.

Last edited by columbusmetro89; 01-11-2015 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 07:13 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,977,485 times

Quote:
At the historic and architectural board, CSU will be seeking approval for a project that will retain the Mediterranean-style portion of the Ledger-Enquirer property. The structure is on the National Register of Historic Buildings.

But the rest of the newspaper’s 160,000-square-foot complex — built and expanded on two acres since 1930 — will be torn down to make way for a three-story structure that will house classrooms, meeting space and administrative offices for faculty and students studying to become nurses, teachers, principals and counselors.

The demolition will include the six-story office tower at the corner of Broadway and 12th Street, as well as the newspaper’s former production area, printing press bay and loading dock.

Saved will be the portion of the Ledger-Enquirer’s property that now houses the news, advertising, circulation and finance departments. The newspaper is now preparing to relocate to the Hardaway Building on Broadway, across from the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts. The staff will begin work at its new location — specially designed and outfitted for it — at the end of January.

“The historic structure will be kept intact and renovated,” Lester said of the Ledger-Enquirer’s Mediterranean-style structure. “We’ll also be adding a lot more greenscape on the property than there is now.”

I don't agree with demolishing that part the building,or any other part for that matter. I think CSU is rushing things just a little bit.

Last edited by Columbuskidd92; 01-11-2015 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 PM

919 posts, read 982,892 times
I agree that they shouldn't tear it down but converting 6 story building into usable healthcare space has to be hard and expensive, starting over may be best. They could of torn down Aaron's building and built there for $1.25 million.

I hope they partner with the city to use parking garage by the LE building, as 1800 people with no extra parking is scary AND no extra beds!

Old 01-11-2015, 07:30 PM

322 posts, read 468,076 times
New project/new people = more development, more beds, more parking.... bet there'll be a parking deck announced before long.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:26 AM

698 posts, read 824,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmetro89 View Post
Great news I like the idea and all. But I looked at the proposed plan for the Ledger Enquirer building for CSU and it looks like they are basically going to slice the building in half and shortened it to three stories. I wonder if this will kinda takeaway a bit from our skyline. I don't understand why they are slicing the building short what if they need the extra room in the future again for future expansion and they are not going to have the room because they sliced the columbus ledguer building down to three stories.
Wish they would preserve the old look but CSU is on a rampage to change!

Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRd View Post
New project/new people = more development, more beds, more parking.... bet there'll be a parking deck announced before long.

Quote:
bet there'll be a parking deck announced before long.
We can only hope that replace the extra green space they're planning on having. Downtown doesn't need anymore green space. It needs more density!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:52 AM

919 posts, read 982,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRiverRd View Post
Anyone know how the utilization is of Bay Avenue Parking Garage #4 is? Does Synovus and Synovus Centre use these spaces mostly for their parking? This is the best parking available for L-E building. Additional "opton" would be to acquire the land behind Aaron's building and build a parking garage there + make it available to Aaron's building.

If someone sold it for $1.25 million, hopefully they have plans for it. Turning this into a retail and privately funded dorm would be a great project right about now. WC Bradley did that with Fontaine Hall (About | Fontaine Hall)

Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
The board voted 6-0 on Monday to allow the demolition, but the university, represented by Barnes, Gibson, Patel Architects, must come back with design changes on the new structure that will be the corner of 12th Street and Broadway.

“We don’t like the concept,” board member Brinkley Pound said during the 45-minute discussion. And she was not alone. Almost all of the six board members attending the meeting expressed concerns.

CSU purchased the Ledger-Enquirer complex at 17 West 12th Street last month for $3.25 million.

The project, valued between $20 million and $25 million, will bring up to 1,800 students and faculty to the corner of Broadway and 12th Street on any given day. The plan is to turn the existing property into a 90,000-square-foot college set to open fall semester of 2016.

The aggressive time schedule should not be impacted by Monday’s board decision, said CSU Assistant Vice President for Facilities Michael E. Medlock.

“This is not unusual,” Medlock said. “We had to be approved by the Board of Regents and we went back and made some changes for them. We will go back and look it again. We want to make everybody happy.”

CSU must get approval from the Board of Historic and Architectural Review as well as the city's Facade Board, which is expected to hear the issue next week.

CSU received approval to demolish the six-story tower known as the Page Building that sits at the corner of 12th and Broadway. The university can also tear down the warehouse, press bay and loading docks.

That will leave two buildings the 1931 original structure that is at the corner of 12th Street and Front Avenue and a 1950-era addition that is attached. Those buildings were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

The primary concern that arose was the new building looked nothing like the existing Mediterranean-style building that will not be altered on the outside. Attorney and board member John Sheftall called it the finest example of Mediterranean revival architecture in Columbus.

“I don’t see any Mediterranean revival in the new building,” Sheftall said.

Sudhir Patel, the primary architect, was quick to respond.

“That’s right,” Patel said. “It was never our intent to replicate that.”

Another board member, Judith Nail, also questioned the design of the new building, which has an open front similar to the entrance of CSU’s Corn Center on Bay Avenue.

“It’s totally incompatible,” Nail said. “I don’t get it.”

Patel continued to defend the design.

“It defeats the purpose of doing anything new,” Patel said. “Why copy?”

Patel pointed out the entrance design, was a lot like the entrance to the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts.

“But the RiverCenter is not attached to the finest example of Mediterranean architecture in Columbus,” Pound responded.

The new structure and the existing historic building would be connected by a glass walkway. The walkway design was intentional so to draw a distinction between the new and old, Patel said.

Jeff Reed, who represents the Historic District Preservation Society, expressed concern that the design did not fit in with the rest of the downtown landscape.

“I just do not see where this fits the rhythm of downtown,” Reed said. “There is so much glass there it is almost a void and not a structure. It is like a missing tooth.”

The lone architect on the board, Robert Kidd of Hecht Burdeshaw Architects Inc., said little during the discussion.
Board approves CSU demolition of parts of L-E building, questions new design | Business | Columbus Ledger Enquirer

WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or