U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 PM
 
59 posts, read 56,134 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

Georgia State University recently released job growth forecasts for the state of Georgia. The growth rates for major Georgia cities, minus Atlanta, is as followed:

1.Savannah- 3.8%
Savannah has added 1,500 jobs within the first 3 months of this year. Up from 2014 with around 2.4%.

2. Augusta- 3.1%
Augusta has also added 1,500 jobs within the first 3 months of this year. Up from 2014 growth of around 1.6%.

3. Macon- 2.4%
Up from 2014 growth of around 0.8%.

4. Columbus-2.0%
Added around 1,400 jobs in 2014.

Columbus' predicted job growth is now the lowest out of the 2nd tier cities, with Macon increasing it's rate of growth by 1.6%. Savannah and Augusta have really picked up the pace, with Savannah being a little faster. Both cities have gained 1,500 jobs in the first 3 months of 2015. In comparison with the year 2014, Columbus was expected to add around 1,400 jobs, which is quite modest, but still growth for the area. This year, Augusta and Savannah have added more than Columbus' 2014 job growth within 3 months. This year, Columbus is predicted to grow at a rate of 2%. I would like to know if anyone has an ideas on how Columbus can attract more jobs to the area, as well as create them. Is there something stopping Columbus from attracting many jobs? Are they going to faster growing cities or something? I think what the city needs to look into is what causes these cities to attract the amount of jobs that they do, specifically Augusta and Savannah, as they have attracted the most in number. Whether it be existing industry, marketing strategies, etc. I know some of the things attracting jobs to those cities might not be something Columbus has control over or can help, but I think some of it has to do with strategies, but I could be wrong. If there is a way for Columbus to improve and make itself more desirable to companies, I think it should. It seems like Columbus posters as well as Columbus officials constantly boast about Fort Benning being a major attraction and having the 2nd best corporate base in the state, which gives it an advantage over it's peer cities, yet its peer cities are outperforming it, Augusta and Savannah at a significantly faster rate. Obviously those things aren't getting Columbus the jobs that it needs, so there needs to be another method other than boasting, because let's face it, the pretending that everything is fine because we have Fort Benning and a nice corporate base is clearly not attracting many jobs. Does anyone have any suggestions on what Columbus can change to stay competitive for jobs, because at this point, Macon is rising, and Augusta and Savannah are getting most of them. Although I feel like this will be the order of things for a while, I think the city should be proactive about this and do all it can to improve itself. Any ideas on how this happened and how the area can improve itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 PM
 
Location: Phenix City, AL
200 posts, read 285,284 times
Reputation: 46
I agree that the city should be proactive, but some people will say they are doing what they can to attract businesses. All we seem to get in retail stores and restaurants. From what I recall, Kellogg, Litho-Chrome and Johnston Textile Mill in Phenix City are suppose to close this year. It seems like one of the chicken plants in one of the nearby counties is closing as well. We definitely need more businesses.

There is a jobs group on facebook called Muscogee County Jobs with over 10k people in the group. People are begging for jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 03:04 PM
 
515 posts, read 482,984 times
Reputation: 207
Maybe it has something to do with how military dependent Columbus is, and its lack of sustainable and specialized industry to create new jobs and attract more. I brought that up not too long ago, but I was of course attacked for saying that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
105 posts, read 121,305 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
Maybe it has something to do with how military dependent Columbus is, and its lack of sustainable and specialized industry to create new jobs and attract more. I brought that up not too long ago, but I was of course attacked for saying that.
I don't consider Columbus completely dependent on the military at all. Columbus is blessed to have such a huge corporate base, something Augusta and other 2nd tier cities can't say they have. Columbus is poised for great things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 04:36 PM
 
515 posts, read 482,984 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
I don't consider Columbus completely dependent on the military at all. Columbus is blessed to have such a huge corporate base, something Augusta and other 2nd tier cities can't say they have. Columbus is poised for great things.
Columbus is poised to continue to fall behind if something isn't done, which is basically what everyone else's comment has stated. The OP talked about how some people constantly bring up the corporate base thing, but as the OP said, that's obviously not creating many jobs. Maybe if Columbus is proactive about this, it can someday get some job growth in the 3 percent range or higher, which is something both Augusta and Savannah have, which is something Columbus can't say it has. Macon, which has been behind for so many years now, is finally moving in the right direction and has surpassed Columbus in job growth, so please, don't act like this isn't an issue because it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 04:46 PM
 
59 posts, read 56,134 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
I don't consider Columbus completely dependent on the military at all. Columbus is blessed to have such a huge corporate base, something Augusta and other 2nd tier cities can't say they have. Columbus is poised for great things.
Let's talk realistically, Columbus is basically a military town, despite it's corporate base. It is far more military dependent than any of the other 2nd tier cities. Obviously our corporate base isn't sparking much growth, as our city population has decreased and our job growth is now the slowest of the 2nd tier cities. That was my point. I'm not afraid to admit that Columbus has a problem, and it needs to be fixed. The general attitude of this city is that we are fine because of Fort Benning and the corporate base, but the numbers tell a different story. Cities that were once significantly slower growing have now surpassed Columbus in growth. Do you see the dilemma? You say that Columbus is on the way to great things. Not if something doesn't change. If everything stays the same and the mindset continues, Columbus will continue to head in the direction it is going now, which is not a good one, and the other 2nd tier will keep moving forward while we are still stuck in our ways of never admitting that there is an issue. It seems like the 2nd largest corporate base fact is starting to be more of an excuse people in this city use to assure everyone that everything is okay and that there is no problem with what's going on, when in reality, there are so many in the area that need jobs, but job growth is low. If jobs can not be found in Columbus, people will move elsewhere where job growth is higher.

Last edited by PeachTree_; 05-21-2015 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 PM
 
515 posts, read 482,984 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachTree_ View Post
Let's talk realistically, Columbus is basically a military town, despite it's corporate base. It is far more military dependent than any of the other 2nd tier cities. Obviously our corporate base isn't sparking much growth, as our city population has decreased and our job growth is now the slowest of the 2nd tier cities. That was my point. I'm not afraid to admit that Columbus has a problem, and it needs to be fixed. The general attitude of this city is that we are fine because of Fort Benning and the corporate base, but the numbers tell a different story. Cities that were once significantly slower growing have now surpassed Columbus in growth. Do you see the dilemma? You say that Columbus is on the way to great things. Not if something doesn't change. If everything stays the same and the mindset continues, Columbus will continue to head in the direction it is going now, which is not a good one, and the other 2nd tier will keep moving forward while we are still stuck in our ways of never admitting that there is an issue. It seems like the 2nd largest corporate base fact is starting to be more of an excuse people in this city use to assure everyone that everything is okay and that there is no problem with what's going on, when in reality, there are so many in the area that need jobs, but job growth is low. If jobs can not be found in Columbus, people will move elsewhere where job growth is higher.
Well, that's just how Columbus is I guess. Maybe they will realize it when other cities have long surpassed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Georgia
2,663 posts, read 3,962,537 times
Reputation: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaud12 View Post
I don't consider Columbus completely dependent on the military at all. Columbus is blessed to have such a huge corporate base, something Augusta and other 2nd tier cities can't say they have. Columbus is poised for great things.
Columbus have a big military presence but it's not military dependent. Fayetteville,NC is what I consider military dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 02:35 PM
 
515 posts, read 482,984 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbuskidd92 View Post
Columbus have a big military presence but it's not military dependent. Fayetteville,NC is what I consider military dependent.
It is, just to a less extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Columbus,Georgia
2,663 posts, read 3,962,537 times
Reputation: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
It is, just to a less extent.
The Columbus GDP say otherwise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top