Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 10:34 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,117,067 times

Advertisements

After the antics Sen. McKoon has pulled in regards to the foolish "Religious Liberty" bill, I think its time for him to go....
Quote:
Smith outlined two high-level meetings in which he was told that McKoon’s behavior was an issue and it was going to cost the Columbus region state funding.

The first meeting happened in January, Smith said. The leadership team of the National Infantry Museum met with Deal to ask the state to put up $2 million toward the construction of a memorial for the Global War on Terror.

“The governor and his chief of staff made it clear they were not giving any money and the reason was Sen. McKoon,” Smith said.

Two weeks ago, Ralston’s Chief of Staff Spiro Amburn came to Smith’s legislative office and told him the Columbus State funding was coming out of the budget, Smith said. The reason given was McKoon’s actions in the General Assembly, Smith said.

“He said the remaining $6 million was going to be taken out,” Smith said. “The governor’s staff told him if the money was left in, the governor was going to do a line-item veto.”

Asked if he told McKoon about either of the meetings, Smith said he did not.

“And I regret that,” he said. “… I would think somebody who has been as critical of the governor would know that his actions have consequences. … These things have consequences and everybody and their brother knows it. Josh is a big boy, and he knows his actions and votes have consequences.”

Smith should have come to him after those meetings, McKoon said.

“And if they happened the way that they were described, it was unbelievably irresponsible for Richard not to pick up the phone and call me and tell me what was going on,” McKoon said. “... I would have taken steps to make sure that the funding was secure. Again, what I’ve been told, is at odds with what Richard is saying Spiro Amburn said weeks ago.

McKoon said he followed the budget process carefully and was told by Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Jack Hill, one of the conference committee members, the money was being pulled because it would not be needed until the next fiscal year and there were more pressing needs in the University System.

Read more here: Legislator: Sen. Josh McKoon cost CSU, Infantry Museum state budget funding | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
Legislator: Sen. Josh McKoon cost CSU, Infantry Museum state budget funding | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 10:58 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,567,841 times
With you on that. Time for him to move on.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,106,587 times
This nut should be pushing for an interstate between Montgomery,Columbus and Macon instead of a religious bill.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 AM

23 posts, read 24,440 times
So much for Liberty, huh?
Get politically correct or get left out in the cold. Cave to the ultra-left Gestapo for cash.

Must be why the blowhard Trump is loved so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: