U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 AM

178 posts, read 160,285 times

Advertisements

COLUMBUS, Ga. – Fort Benning is in the process of cutting back the number of troops on post. This is a result of spending at the federal level. The Chamber of Commerce held a town hall meeting to discuss the impact of these cuts on our area.

Gary Jones with the Columbus Chamber’s Military Affairs Office says the army has gone from 570,000 to 490,000 soldiers. It is now in the process of being reduced to 450,000 soldiers. Jones says this is causing Fort Benning to lose 2,400 to 2,800 soldiers.

John Mitchell with Synovus says he is concerned anytime Fort Benning sees cutbacks.

“Fort Benning constitutes a big part of this community’s business and a great source of employees so, we’re very interested in whatever happens at Fort Benning,” Mitchell said.

Sal Nodjomian with the Matrix Design Group began a study in 2015 looking at the economic impact of reducing military troops at Fort Benning. He says Fort Benning has about a $5 billion economic impact a year on the region.

“When you take nearly 3,000 military members and a corresponding number of dependents out of the economy, that’s going to impact the economy by about seven or 800 million dollars,” Nodjomian said.

The Matrix Group made a few recommendations including better preparing soldiers to compete for jobs in the area. Jones with the Chamber of Commerce says these recommendations go along with what the Chamber is already doing.

“It’s encouraging to see the recommendations that were developed strictly by them, not by us, that are supportive and encouraging of workforce development, and mission growth at Fort Benning,” Jones said.

Mitchell also thinks recommendations to diversify the community and paying attention to growing industries are encouraging, but says he’s more concerned about the immediate impact.

“Looking of course for things we can address immediately. Some of the suggestions they had were longer term and more difficult to move so, I was looking for sort of the next three years,” Mitchell said.

About 1,000 soldiers have left Fort Benning so far and the remaining 1,800 soldiers are in the process of leaving.

The Matrix Group’s study is a regional study including seven different counties. The final report is supposed to be ready in July. There will be another public meeting Tuesday, June 14th at Columbus Technical College starting at 9 a.m.

SOURCE..WRBL.COM
Published: June 13, 2016, 11:48 pm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:36 AM
mym

569 posts, read 800,197 times
yeah i remember reading that earlier

Fort Benning gains new unit.

i've only been paying attention to the area for the last 4 years as i rent out a property there. this seems to be the usual isnt it? a cycle of soldiers coming and going? so far my renters never stay that long (they are military as far as i can tell) but within a month there is usually someone to take their place. lots of turnover.

wonder if storage units would be a good investment in the area.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 AM

178 posts, read 160,285 times
Recent troop dismissals and their paychecks are slowly beginning to show monetary losses locally.
The last 2 quarters of this year will be brutal for local businesses and job losses.
No wonder the city is voted #7 for most stressed.....makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA