Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 05:57 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,421 times

Advertisements

Columbus wish list: P.F. Chang

This is an interesting article speculating about some of our most wanted businesses. I know it's a strong rumor we will see Costco possible next year or soon. I think PF Changs, or Maggiano's would be a great fit for the new CPC expansion whenever they roll that out. Bass Pro is also rumored but seems to be taking their time. In the comments on Face Book there was a lot of mention of people wanting Cheesecake Factory (which may be a bit of a pipe dream for anywhere in GA outside of Atlanta) Whole Foods, and Super Target. We could really use a Super Target which I've heard may happen in Phenix City. I think the east side of town could use one too!

What would everyone like to see or do you think we will see in the near future?

Quote:
Columbus real-estate broker Wes Lewis acknowledges there is no shortage of suggestions he receives from residents desiring the next great retailer or restaurant not already in the local market.

“I’ve gotten a ton of calls from the female population, and they have given me a list of tenants they would like to see that are not in Columbus,” said Lewis, senior vice president and asset manager with Columbus-based Adams Brokerage Co., which has had a hand in developing much of the property in and around Columbus Park Crossing.

“I have relayed that information to not only the brokers of those tenants, but to the internal real-estate representatives of each of those companies,” he said. “And we’re diligently trying to get some of those companies that are not in Columbus at all into the market.”

In fact, Lewis was in Orlando, Fla., a couple of months ago for a conference, along with 5,300 other development-industry types, working to gauge the overall temperature of retail and restaurant expansion, as well as the odds of anyone wanting and needing to be in the Columbus market.

“There are a number of tenants that are not in this market and have wanted to be here for a long time,” said the real-estate executive, who believes there remains some areas of the market that under-retailed and don’t have enough restaurants.

The city, for the most part, has expanded its national and regional food and retail offerings greatly with the creation of Columbus Park Crossing and other development around the dynamic hub off Veterans Parkway and near J.R. Allen Parkway.

But some notable names still elude the area. On the restaurant table, they include P.F. Chang's China Bistro, BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse, Yard House, Bahama Breeze Island Grille, Maggiano's Little Italy, The Cheesecake Factory, The Capital Grille and Seasons 52.

On the retail side, local customers have been clamoring for Costco Wholesale for years, which would compete with Walmart’s Sam’s Clubs. Several local developers, including Lewis, said the Seattle-based company has looked for locations to here, but yet to decide if and when it will set up shop. Another retailer that has been on the wishlists of outdoors lovers is Bass Pro Shop, which recently announced its buyout of competitor Cabella’s. A Super Target also has been discussed for the Columbus market in the past, specifically in the Midland area.

For Lewis, it’s somewhat like a puzzle, finding the right retail or restaurant piece to fit in the market and survive long term. Last summer, Adams Brokerage lost one of its longtime tenants, Ruby Tuesday, which downsized its overall company footprint. The land and building at the corner of Veterans Parkway and Adams Farm Drive — a prime piece of high-visibility property — suddenly became available. Tennessee-based Ruby Tuesday was leasing the location.

(Ruby Tuesday closes ‘underperforming’ Columbus restaurant)

(Seafood restaurant bringing its shrimp, fish and crab claws to Columbus)

“I won’t have any problem leasing it,” said Lewis, not naming any prospects. “I do have waiting lists of folks that would like to be in some of our properties, but for different reasons we haven’t pulled the trigger to develop some things yet. ... We would like to put in a nice, new viable tenant that may be not in the market, or maybe they are in the market and they just want to reposition.”

Commercial real-estate broker Ed Adams said he understands Chick-fil-A has been looking very hard in the Columbus Park Crossing area for a new location to feed its legions of chicken sandwich and waffle fry fans. That possibly could mean going into the old Ruby Tuesday spot or the nearby USAA financial office, which the company has said will close by next April.

“They want to be on Veterans Parkway,” Adams, a broker with Coldwell Banker/Kennon, Parker, Duncan & Davis, said of Chick-fil-A. “In the best-case scenario, it would be to find someone that can utilize the existing (Ruby Tuesday) space. But with these chain restaurants, they have their set floor plans. Any big name would probably come in and completely demo the building and build their own prototype.”

Like Lewis, Adams said his company is seeing retailers and restaurants wanting to be in the city, particularly in hot, heavily trafficked areas. However, Adams said there is a vibe of uncertainty surrounding the local job market, particularly with Fort Benning’s losses over the past year and the prospects of even more with budget sequestration looming in 2017 and another potential Base Realignment and Closure round in coming years.

“A lot of people that we’re working with that are new looking to come into the market, they’ve kind of put a hold on things, at least to find out what’s happening with Fort Benning,” Adams said. “We’ve got people that are ready to come into the market, that are definitely interested. It’s just that uncertainty — unless we can find them a slam dunk, the corner of Main and Main with 75,000 cars.”

(Act fast and don’t assume Fort Benning is safe, BRAC expert tells Georgia lawmakers)

(Free burritos and drinks up for grabs at Columbus restaurant on Monday, Oct. 17)

Lewis said his company still has about two acres of land yet to develop off Whittlesey Boulevard, adjacent to where Eyemart recently opened and Willy’s Mexicana Grill is scheduled to debut on Monday.

There’s another four to five acres next to Waffle House on Veterans Parkway that have been pre-leased by tenants, he said, although the plan is to work with the Norfolk-Southern Railroad, the city and the state to gain access to 35 more acres. A bridge to go over the rail line is proposed by the developer to get to the property, a process that could take two to three years at least.

Meanwhile, Lewis said he’s not necessarily concerned about moving too fast on any one development. He wants the right fit for the city and wants to find long-term businesses who will do well and be used by local residents, be it a retail, service or food establishment.

“I worked on a Publix center down in Florida on time,” he said. “It took 10 years from the time we put the property under contract until the time we got Publix open.”

Read more here: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by DWColumbus; 10-14-2016 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 AM

427 posts, read 550,623 times
Costco... They have mentioned on their FB that they have received many requests for a Columbus, GA location. Last I heard (2014) they were in contract negotiations. Hope to see something confirmed in the next few months.

PF changs and a Cheesecake Factory would be a nice addition to Columbus.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:36 PM

I'm hopeful we will hear something soon. For this past week or so every time I've checked the paper there is mention of a few new businesses coming to Columbus!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:35 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,163,767 times
I can definitely say Columbus will be getting a Whole Foods before the year 2020.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
I can definitely say Columbus will be getting a Whole Foods before the year 2020.
Is that from any inside info or just speculation? I'm pretty sure we will too wither way. I think someone mentioned a while back that they were looking at Columbus already.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:59 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,163,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Is that from any inside info or just speculation? I'm pretty sure we will too wither way. I think someone mentioned a while back that they were looking at Columbus already.
Speculation to be honest.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:29 AM

11 posts, read 13,721 times
Dear god none of those restaurants. Gross. We need more local restaurants not more chains. I'll take Costco for sure out of that bin of choices...

Old 10-18-2016, 09:34 AM

11 posts, read 13,721 times
"P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, Joe’s Crab Shack, BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse, Yard House, Bahama Breeze Island Grille, Maggiano’s Little Italy, The Cheesecake Factory, The Capital Grille and Seasons 52."

I literally never have wanted to nor would want to eat at any of those places except maybe Yard House and simply for the beer. And The Cheesecake Factory? That's the most disgusting and unhealthy restaurant of all time - seriously - ​Cheesecake Factory dinged as unhealthiest U.S. eatery - CBS News

EDIT - also don't know if we need a steakhouse chain but I suppose Capital Grille would be fine...

Old 11-11-2016, 11:53 AM

Results are in: Here are restaurants, retailers you want to see in Columbus | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

They have a follow up to the article.

I'd have to agree on a lot of the most wanted places listed for Columbus! It looks like Costco tops the list, followed by Bass Pro. Good thing is those locations seem likely to arrive at some point based on the rumors.

Another point in the article talked about bringing in more high paying jobs and more local businesses. I'd like to see Columbus grow in all of those areas!

Quote:
Here are the Top 20 selections and the number of our dear readers picking them, submitted informally via Facebook:

▪ Costco Wholesale — 127

▪ Bass Pro Shops — 107

▪ Cheesecake Factory — 63

▪ Trader Joe’s — 56

▪ P. F. Chang’s China Bistro — 35

▪ Dave & Buster’s — 28

▪ Maggiano’s Little Italy — 27

▪ Whole Foods — 22

▪ Academy Sports & Outdoors — 20

▪ Joe’s Crab Shack — 19

▪ Kroger’s — 19

▪ IKEA — 18

▪ Home Goods — 10

▪ DSW (shoes) — 9

▪ Taco Mac — 7

▪ Whataburger — 7

▪ Cabela’s — 6

▪ Pappadeaux — 6

▪ Super Target — 6

▪ Five Below — 4

Read more here: Results are in: Here are restaurants, retailers you want to see in Columbus | Columbus Ledger-Enquirer

Old 11-11-2016, 09:48 PM

427 posts, read 550,623 times
Costco knows we want them here, we just need to keep reminding them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA