Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:25 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times

Advertisements

I was looking at some of the projects that GDOT has planned for Muscogee County over the next few years and some of the projects planned along J.R. Allen caught my eye. First, GDOT is planning to expand the Georgia Navigator system along the parkway between the Alabama state line and the Manchester Expressway. This project will go out to bid this year and will include cameras, electronic message signs and ramp meters. Here's a link to the concept report for this project:https://gtas.dot.ga.gov/0014016/Conc...CR_JAN2017.pdf

The other major project planned for J.R. Allen will upgrade the existing signage along the parkway and add lighting to all the interchanges along J.R. Allen. Here is a description of the project from GDOT:
Quote:
The purpose of this project is to address several issues identified in the Road Safety Audit of SR 22. Below are the recommendations: Update striping, signage and pavement markings throughout corridor, remove excess signs, Update overhead signage on SR 22, Install new RPMs, Repair rumble strips, Replace deflectors on guardrail and barrier, lengthen tapers, add signage to tight radii and provide additional pavement for truck turning movements, Install pedestrian facilities, Replace TP 1 RPMs w/TP 10 RPMs at SR 22 @ SR 219, Provide positive barrier between adjacent entrance and exit ramps, Re-sign and re-mark interstate ramps to be in compliance with FHWA recommends at SR 22 and SR 1/US 27. Consider double-mounting wrong-way signs, Proceed with test project to install radar-detection for LED wrong-way signs. Add wrong way arrow to pavement. Add additional chevron signs to loop ramps. Add right-turn lanes. Install lighting based on City of Columbus’s lighting agreement.
http://www.dot.ga.gov/applications/g...jectID=0015150
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,744 times
Good stuff. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:34 AM

297 posts, read 259,824 times
This is great news!!! I literally almost started a thread recently about needed local road improvements, specifically along the major highways in Columbus. I had been noticing lately that JR Allen and Manchester Espressway are both in desperate need of lighting along the entire length of the highways, but especially at every interchange to greatly improve visibility. Also, the Northern half I-185 (exits 6-12) could also use lighting enhancements as well.

Additionally as growth in the city is concentrated moreso in North Columbus and traffic along JR Allen will only increase in years the come, the city should explore adding an additional lane in each direction. If growth trends continue as expected, this would be of great benefit to the area having a 3 lane east-west highway route.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:01 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,615 times
Exciting. I am hoping to get on with the GDOT. I currently work for FDOT and plan on applying as soon as we get settled.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,421 times
I'm excited to hear about those improvements. I did see the traffic measuring strip last week on the East end of JR Allen I can also see a need for one day expanding to 3 lanes. It would really benefit the west end in Columbus and Phenix City at Rush hour where I've seen it be stop and go traffic.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 AM

297 posts, read 259,824 times
Anyone heard of any updates lately or have a timeline for this project?

Old 06-07-2018, 05:11 PM

147 posts, read 232,745 times
They desperately need to add a third (possibly even fourth) lane on the highway. Even during non-rush hour times, traffic on the highway can get so congested that it can crawl to a stand-still. There are also serious issues with the automobile merging process at various junctures.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:39 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog23 View Post
They desperately need to add a third (possibly even fourth) lane on the highway. Even during non-rush hour times, traffic on the highway can get so congested that it can crawl to a stand-still. There are also serious issues with the automobile merging process at various junctures.
Agreed. The growth on the northside has created a lot of volume for that highway. Things also seem to be worse during the summer when there is a lot of thru traffic going to the beach.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:53 AM

85 posts, read 64,444 times
I really wish they would do something about the I-185 interchange. It gets really jumbled up when everyone is trying to get on and off the exit ramps. It gets really bad and dangerous when the 18 wheelers are trying to use the ramps and we have a line of cars trying to merge at the same time. I think they should make it like most interchanges there are between interstates nowadays because the cloverleaf interchanges for all sides isn't working great anymore. I think adding a third lane is really feasible and I saw in the city's MPO they want to do a traffic study about that idea

Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
More lighting is needed badly. I would love to see lights up and down I-185 starting at Williams Rd as well as lighting up and down J.R. Allen Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA