U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 PM

240 posts, read 152,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
We haven't seen a large company move to Columbus since this mayor been in office. It's been horrible! If not for our large HQ base,we'll be in the same boat as Albany.
Albany similarly suffers from not being able to attract industry solely due to lack of of interstate access and it’s a well known fact in that area. The same situation here IMO, just slightly worse there due to not having any access at all. We have the corparate HQ’s, the base, and more than double the population so I think it’s different although we share some similar challenges surrounding recruiting industry.

We often note the consistent growth in Lagrange/Troup...its obvious the only thing the area has over Columbus that would be more attractive from a business standpoint is mainline interstate access, that’s literally it!. Similar situation in Albany; they have to witness much smaller Tifton/Tift County in growth mode solely attributed to I-75.

No doubt, Columbus can grow (even without the interstate) but it will take a some innovative strategies and a completely different, much more aggressive approach. Passively recruiting employers in the same way we have in the past just isn’t going to work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:52 PM

1,017 posts, read 515,977 times
That's great for Tesla, I thought we were talking about the solar industry of the southeast.

Yeah, it'd be wonderful if Tesla moved here, I hope the Scandinavian sales indicate a strong potential market here.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 PM

41 posts, read 21,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
That's great for Tesla, I thought we were talking about the solar industry of the southeast.

Yeah, it'd be wonderful if Tesla moved here, I hope the Scandinavian sales indicate a strong potential market here.
Tesla makes solar panels too.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:01 PM

2,377 posts, read 801,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Albany similarly suffers from not being able to attract industry solely due to lack of of interstate access and it’s a well known fact in that area. The same situation here IMO, just slightly worse there due to not having any access at all. We have the corparate HQ’s, the base, and more than double the population so I think it’s different although we share some similar challenges surrounding recruiting industry.

We often note the consistent growth in Lagrange/Troup...its obvious the only thing the area has over Columbus that would be more attractive from a business standpoint is mainline interstate access, that’s literally it!. Similar situation in Albany; they have to witness much smaller Tifton/Tift County in growth mode solely attributed to I-75.

No doubt, Columbus can grow (even without the interstate) but it will take a some innovative strategies and a completely different, much more aggressive approach. Passively recruiting employers in the same way we have in the past just isn’t going to work.
Amen!! Success breeds success, but we gotta get started!! Unfortunately, I ain't feelin' it!

Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,083,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post

Quote:
And it has grown without help from an interstate. I think the problem is population growth. Columbus is doing good with natural growth with over 13k since 2010. Our migration growth is the problem. Without a healthy growth pattern,companies will look the other way.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
And it has grown without help from an interstate. I think the problem is population growth. Columbus is doing good with natural growth with over 13k since 2010. Our migration growth is the problem. Without a healthy growth pattern,companies will look the other way.
Yes, we can grow without it although not having one doesn’t help as it relates to attracting companies to the area. Unfortunately, many would look the other way simply because we dont have mainline access while being more apt to looking at other areas simply because they do. My broader point is, Columbus will have to be much more strategic, innovative, and aggressive to attract various industry/corporations here! I think sometimes we are inclined to taking the “natural growth” approach, relying on Ft.Benning, and/or just doing things they way we always have (as it relates to employer recruitment specifically.)

This is not to downplay or discredit Columbus, we have grown in other areas and it has become a very nice city over the last several years IMO!! I just think we have to better leverage our strengths in a way that would outweigh our weaknesses in order to become more attractive for business recruitment.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:06 AM

74 posts, read 37,556 times
Thank you all for your opinions on this. I wanted to see answers on two things that stood out to me in the article, if any thought the growth issue is because of our poor recruitment of companies and how we do a better job at that or just developers finding more value in other cities.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:36 AM

2,377 posts, read 801,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusga youngster View Post
Thank you all for your opinions on this. I wanted to see answers on two things that stood out to me in the article, if any thought the growth issue is because of our poor recruitment of companies and how we do a better job at that or just developers finding more value in other cities.
I think the growth issue is due to both points that you made! The BIGGEST issue, however and everyone recognizes this, is our lack of direct interstate access! Nevertheless, we do have I-185, which seems to get busier every day! And we have LOTS of talent, skills, and land available to be developed. I've said MANY times that sitting back and waiting for America (and the rest of the world) to discover Columbus, GA won't git er' done! Bringing industry here benefits EVERYONE!!

Old 04-06-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I think the growth issue is due to both points that you made! The BIGGEST issue, however and everyone recognizes this, is our lack of direct interstate access! Nevertheless, we do have I-185, which seems to get busier every day! And we have LOTS of talent, skills, and land available to be developed. I've said MANY times that sitting back and waiting for America (and the rest of the world) to discover Columbus, GA won't git er' done! Bringing industry here benefits EVERYONE!!
Agree 100% yet again! Glad it’s an mayoral election year, these are the points that I’ll be tuning into the most! I’m hoping things will take off in the way that we want and the way the city/area deserves under new leadership.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:44 AM

712 posts, read 1,132,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
President Trump basically killed the US solar market, I know that first hand. There will not be any growth in that industry for at least a few years.
That’s not necessarily true, The largest solar power plant in Southeast is about to be built in Middle Georgia near Macon/Warner Robins Area. This will be the largest standalone solar facility in the Southeast and is planned on 2,000 acres in Twiggs County. Arizona-based First Solar Inc. announced Wednesday it would develop and construct a 200-megawatt solar power plant. The project is expected to create 300-400 jobs during construction and to generate ongoing tax revenues. The project is already in the development phase under a power purchase agreement with Georgia Power for the electricity and renewable attributes generated by the facility. Construction is expected to begin in November and to be completed in late 2019.

Largest solar plant in Southeast coming to Twiggs County | The Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA