U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 AM
JLA JLA started this thread
 
627 posts, read 1,485,308 times
Reputation: 109
Default Columbus, GA

According to the latest U.S. Census statistics, Metro Columbus lost more than 5,000 people from 2006 to 2007. Now that's a mad dash out of town. Hold your horses. Before any of you get your motors started, please be aware that Fort Bening is part of the Metro and they are policing Iraq at the present time. Once the 3rd ID and its supporting cast are safely back on U.S. soil the population will show an increase of more than 5,000 people. The strangest thing is although more than 5,000 people are supposedly not here, the traffic is still a mess and expansion is still progressing all over the city from Downtown to the North, East, West and South sides. Hotels, shopping and apartments are being built at a frantic pace. Like most places in the state there are far to many houses on the market, but I do see a lot of "UNDER CONTRACT" signs, and the prices are not declining at the rate they are in other markets, so someone is buying houses. That just goes to show that statistics can be misleading and it appears that the people that are actually buying homes are the civilians who are here to stay for a while. I just thought I would put this info out there to see how it will get beat up.

 
Old 03-27-2008, 07:11 AM
 
913 posts, read 2,004,658 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
According to the latest U.S. Census statistics, Metro Columbus lost more than 5,000 people from 2006 to 2007. Now that's a mad dash out of town. Hold your horses. Before any of you get your motors started, please be aware that Fort Bening is part of the Metro and they are policing Iraq at the present time. Once the 3rd ID and its supporting cast are safely back on U.S. soil the population will show an increase of more than 5,000 people. The strangest thing is although more than 5,000 people are supposedly not here, the traffic is still a mess and expansion is still progressing all over the city from Downtown to the North, East, West and South sides. Hotels, shopping and apartments are being built at a frantic pace. Like most places in the state there are far to many houses on the market, but I do see a lot of "UNDER CONTRACT" signs, and the prices are not declining at the rate they are in other markets, so someone is buying houses. That just goes to show that statistics can be misleading and it appears that the people that are actually buying homes are the civilians who are here to stay for a while. I just thought I would put this info out there to see how it will get beat up.
Fort Benning is the reason the quick population drop. Good thing is that this is only temporary. A lot of the soldiers will be back by the end of this summer. Also, BRAC is slowly starting to begin which will be bringing 30,000-45,000 new residents to the city. No 2nd tier city will come close to the population gain that Columbus will see in the next 2-3 years.
 
Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 PM
 
29 posts, read 50,471 times
Reputation: 11
I'm glad that's the only reason for the drop. We need a lot of new businesses here but they are only going to come as the population increases.
 
Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 AM
 
104 posts, read 27,340 times
Reputation: 19
You poor guys must have some major vested interest in promoting columbus or in major denial.
Columbus is sinking like a rock in more ways than one.

Every post you 2 make are the same on every forum.
 
Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 PM
JLA JLA started this thread
 
627 posts, read 1,485,308 times
Reputation: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbucket View Post
You poor guys must have some major vested interest in promoting columbus or in major denial.
Columbus is sinking like a rock in more ways than one.

Every post you 2 make are the same on every forum.
Well master of negative thanks for the daily dose of the sky is falling.
 
Old 03-29-2008, 02:18 PM
 
1,072 posts, read 491,244 times
Reputation: 85
and isn't this guy promoting Macon?? Now talk about a place sinking like a rock.. great place to live though if you are a drug dealer.
 
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 AM
 
913 posts, read 2,004,658 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
and isn't this guy promoting Macon?? Now talk about a place sinking like a rock.. great place to live though if you are a drug dealer.
Haha I know!
 
Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Middle Georgia
139 posts, read 290,139 times
Reputation: 48
Columbus is great if you are a redneck.
 
Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 AM
 
913 posts, read 2,004,658 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
Columbus is great if you are a redneck.
Umm.....OK. Haven't seen too many in my visits to Columbus. Not too sure where they hide. More than half the people I know who live in Columbus are from places like New York, Michigan, Ohio, Maine, and many other states.
 
Old 03-31-2008, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Middle Georgia
139 posts, read 290,139 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Umm.....OK. Haven't seen too many in my visits to Columbus. Not too sure where they hide. More than half the people I know who live in Columbus are from places like New York, Michigan, Ohio, Maine, and many other states.
Columbus is Atlanta now? K, thanks. You guys are delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top