Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:20 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times

Advertisements

What’s the status on this? Was hoping demolition would have started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 12:50 PM

Seriously, is this project happening or not?

Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,163,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Seriously, is this project happening or not?
Could be wrong,but I heard that the old building is going to be reused.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
Could be wrong,but I heard that the old building is going to be reused.
Man I hope not. It needs to be demolished. The rendering of the new building looks great.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,340 times
Yes it's happening. The property is under the rezoning process right now.

I would be cool with the existing building being repurposed, but I'm not sure how it'd work. A lot of windows would have to be added to it and the costs to do that with the brick walls would be prohibitive.

Old 04-28-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Yes it's happening. The property is under the rezoning process right now.

I would be cool with the existing building being repurposed, but I'm not sure how it'd work. A lot of windows would have to be added to it and the costs to do that with the brick walls would be prohibitive.
Agreed. The building isn’t good looking to begin with. Demo it and start new. Hopefully this thing kicks off soon. It will definitely improve that corridor.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:39 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,163,767 times
The new veterans affairs clinic coming to Columbus was originally expected to open in 2021, but now the construction is being delayed at least 8 more months.

Right now, the nearest Veterans Affairs Clinic is 50 miles away in Tuskegee, Alabama. Many locals say the Fountain City desperately needs it’s own clinic.

A building was chosen last year as the location for the Columbus Clinic, but now the contractor set to do the construction has to be replaced.

“It’s like dangling the carrot in front of our nose," one army veteran said. "and then they snatched it back all of the sudden.”

This local army veteran is responding to a letter that he received in the mail Monday evening. The letter states the business awarded construction bids for both the Cobb County and Columbus Georgia Veterans Affairs Clinics have been terminated and that now the Department of Veterans Affairs must find a new developer.

“I think the biggest thing is going to be the morale,” the veteran said. “So many veterans were looking forward to this. It’s really difficult when you have to run all over the place to get the care that you need.”

“It is a far drive to go to Tuskegee to get medical coverage," another veteran, Lionel Haynes, said, "but it is medical coverage.”

The V.A. anticipates it’ll take 8 to 12 months to find a new contractor. For now, Veterans can continue driving to Tuskegee or Montgomery for their services, but for some the concern has to do with more than just miles.

“Personally I had to wait three months just to get an eye exam," a veteran said, "and I’ve been waiting over six months now to get into a pain management center.”

Pushing back the construction will inevitably push back the opening date of the clinic, but Haynes said it’s better late than never.

“The military continues to grow,” Haynes said. "and Columbus is continuing to grow. It’s something much needed, it should have been here but like I said delayed but not denied.”

The Small Business Administration said the award was cancelled after the contractor earned more than $38.5 million in a single year, disqualifying them from being a small business.

https://www.wtvm.com/2019/07/17/excl...7RKc1NInr6Ajq4

Also rumored to be built downtown now.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:02 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,795,615 times
That's disappointing to read, but definitely not surprising. The government never acts quickly on these things, and more often than not threatens to cut them. It is definitely needed in this area- time will tell how much longer our veterans will suffer until it is built.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:54 AM

A new outpatient VA clinic is coming to North Columbus. The clinic will be located at River Road and Mobley Road. There is no timetable on when construction will start on the new clinic, which will include dental, mental health, radiology, and more.

Hopefully we see this break ground this summer. Interesting choice of location though.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
A new outpatient VA clinic is coming to North Columbus. The clinic will be located at River Road and Mobley Road. There is no timetable on when construction will start on the new clinic, which will include dental, mental health, radiology, and more.

Hopefully we see this break ground this summer. Interesting choice of location though.
Yes, I agree. I would of never picked this location. Again, like Department of Health. This should be a central location, somewhere around Airport Thruway to Midtown Medical area. I'm REALLY hoping that this doesn't create a serious traffic issue for single-lane River Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: