Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 03:25 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,163,767 times

Advertisements

A structure in uptown with strong historical ties to Columbus could soon get a new life.

The Columbus City Council could vote next month to allow developers to convert a former Coca-Cola bottling factory on the southwest corner of 6th Avenue and 12th Street to include apartments, office and warehouse space.

A rezoning from the current light manufacturing and industrial designation to an Uptown zoning will allow the applicants, currently represented by local attorney Ken Henson Jr., to update two vacant buildings on the property, which sit on less than an acre across from Goldens’ Foundry and Machine Co.

The property has been owned by TSYS and used as a warehouse since the 1990s, Henson said during a Feb. 20 Planning Advisory Commission Meeting. He said the original building opened in 1905 and a warehouse was added in the 1920s.

“It’s historic and we hope to get historic tax credits on both structures,” Henson said.

The city’s staff report states that the average annual daily trips on the roadway would increase by 326 trips if approved, though the exact number of units planned has not been announced.

No one spoke for or against the proposed rezoning at the Feb. 20 meeting or at the first reading before the Columbus Council on March 26.

The application received a recommendation of approval from the planning department and a unanimous recommendation of approval from the Planning Advisory Commission.

A second reading will be held at the council’s April 9 meeting, which begins at 9 a.m.

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...228478229.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 03:51 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,340 times
This should pass easily and is another step to some of that critically needed east side of downtown infill I've been harping on here about.

I know a lot of people like and even depend on the Cash and Carry but I'd love to see that building one day renovated into something else.

Quote:
on the southwest corner of 6th Avenue and 12th Street
Ugh, swing and a miss to the writer, it's the northeast corner.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
This should pass easily and is another step to some of that critically needed east side of downtown infill I've been harping on here about.

I know a lot of people like and even depend on the Cash and Carry but I'd love to see that building one day renovated into something else.

Ugh, swing and a miss to the writer, it's the northeast corner.
Hopefully this has an ripple effect in that area of downtown. I agree,infill does need to happen.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:34 PM

967 posts, read 1,073,421 times
That's a great addition. I'd really like to see what's considered the heard of our dowtown expand outward as well as upwards!

Old 04-02-2019, 04:17 PM

I'm just dying for someone to develop the lot behind the Burger King (1220 5th ave). Such a nice location for a small mix-use project.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:45 AM

783 posts, read 1,161,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post

A structure in uptown with strong historical ties to Columbus could soon get a new life.

The Columbus City Council could vote next month to allow developers to convert a former Coca-Cola bottling factory on the southwest corner of 6th Avenue and 12th Street to include apartments, office and warehouse space.

A rezoning from the current light manufacturing and industrial designation to an Uptown zoning will allow the applicants, currently represented by local attorney Ken Henson Jr., to update two vacant buildings on the property, which sit on less than an acre across from Goldens’ Foundry and Machine Co.

The property has been owned by TSYS and used as a warehouse since the 1990s, Henson said during a Feb. 20 Planning Advisory Commission Meeting. He said the original building opened in 1905 and a warehouse was added in the 1920s.

“It’s historic and we hope to get historic tax credits on both structures,” Henson said.

The city’s staff report states that the average annual daily trips on the roadway would increase by 326 trips if approved, though the exact number of units planned has not been announced.

No one spoke for or against the proposed rezoning at the Feb. 20 meeting or at the first reading before the Columbus Council on March 26.

The application received a recommendation of approval from the planning department and a unanimous recommendation of approval from the Planning Advisory Commission.

A second reading will be held at the council’s April 9 meeting, which begins at 9 a.m.

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...228478229.html
Interesting news...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: