Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutmetro View Post
Retail -
Costco
Whole Foods
West Marine
World Market
Kroger Grocery

Cultural -
Amphitheatre (min 17,000 cap)
Dinner theatre
Comedy club

Restaurants -
La Paz
Superior Grill
Pappadeaux
Rockbottom
Bonefish
Salvatores

Housing Choices -
More Vertical Residential (condo and apartment)
TND neighborhood
TOD development

Transportation -
Airport -
Relocate airport commercial traffic to new bigger airport in Alabama between Columbus & Auburn
Turn current airport to corp airport, train station for rapid rail between Atlanta and Tallahassee
Sell part of airport to expand Peachtree Mall for mixed use development
Give balance to CSU for expansion.
I-22 extension from B'ham to GA coast
Warm Springs light commuter rail

Cougar Football

Fewer but bigger high schools
Those things would be nice. Although some stuff I just don't think that Columbus is large enough to support some of that stuff. Like a Whole Foods is nice but they wouldn't get enough business. I don't know I've never been impressed with Kroger they're just plain grocery stores and Columbus already has Publix and Winn Dixie a Kroger just isn't neccesary. Not to mention I don't know if the market can support it just yet. Maybe after BRAC comes to town.

Personally I don't like big schools if it was financially feasible I'd say make them smaller.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 AM

63 posts, read 284,654 times
My husband and I would love to see Columbus State get a football team, but I don't know if enough people would go to make it work. We had a great time going to baseball and softball games this year but they were usually pretty empty.
More concerts would be great! And much bigger names and indie groups. To see anyone good we have to go to Atlanta or Athens.
One of my first thoughts to this question was "more parks!" and nature areas in general...but the ones that are already here aren't maintained well. We went to...oh heck, now I can't remember the name...the one by "the old Wal-Mart" between Airport and Veterans? There was graffiti all over the playground, including a swastika and genitalia, not just "I love Johnny" or whatever. Luckily my kids were way too young to get it, but still.
I would like to see more for teens, if possible. There was nothing to do when I was younger and actually had free time. A skate park that isn't religious would be nice, and I would love to see another $1.50 theater, but now I'm just dreaming...

Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 AM

36 posts, read 119,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
The ice rink is happening. It is being designed right now. It will be built by the Civic Center at South Commons. I think a water park would be great. It sure is hot enough to have one open 6 months out of the year

I lived in Columbus, 2002 - 2005. And YES Columbus needs a water park. Now I'm in Ft. Lewis, WA area and there is a water park 15 min. away.
Hello?!?! it's Wester Washington it always rains here, the park opens for 2 months out of the year.

I'm voting YES to water park in Columbus. Cause the River is dirty.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:19 PM

41 posts, read 125,523 times
Because this town was a old mill town, it need to have some type of jobs for the less educated person. Maybe the City need to stop turning down company like KIA..

Old 08-15-2009, 03:05 PM

98 posts, read 229,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsteward2003 View Post
Because this town was a old mill town, it need to have some type of jobs for the less educated person. Maybe the City need to stop turning down company like KIA..
I agree 100 percent.
The crime/poverty levels are extremely high and have gotten much worse since May.
Take my advice and stay clear of downtown(guns,drugs,booze etc)

Old 08-15-2009, 05:42 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
My husband and I would love to see Columbus State get a football team, but I don't know if enough people would go to make it work. We had a great time going to baseball and softball games this year but they were usually pretty empty.
More concerts would be great! And much bigger names and indie groups. To see anyone good we have to go to Atlanta or Athens.
One of my first thoughts to this question was "more parks!" and nature areas in general...but the ones that are already here aren't maintained well. We went to...oh heck, now I can't remember the name...the one by "the old Wal-Mart" between Airport and Veterans? There was graffiti all over the playground, including a swastika and genitalia, not just "I love Johnny" or whatever. Luckily my kids were way too young to get it, but still.
I would like to see more for teens, if possible. There was nothing to do when I was younger and actually had free time. A skate park that isn't religious would be nice, and I would love to see another $1.50 theater, but now I'm just dreaming...
When I was in elementary school I remember hearing rumors that the KKK met at Britt David park. I wonder if there's any truth to that. Are they even still around?

No they wouldn't build another $1.50 theater unless a new movie theater was built. They only turn old theaters into $1.50 versus actually building a new $1.50 again I don't think the market could support more movie theaters anyway.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:58 PM

41 posts, read 125,523 times
yeah about the KKK, they turned in the white sheets for business suits downtown.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 AM

70 posts, read 196,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I agree. Kroger was here years ago, but Publix took over
I liked Ingles. Kroger was great but expensive.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:19 AM

594 posts, read 3,436,111 times
Let me put my 2 cents in again.This is what i would like to see in columbus georgia is a bigger civic center or arena.I dont know what in the world columbus was thinking when they built that small civic center.In my opionion the civic center in columbus is just to small for events and concerts and plus when brac moves here all of them people are not going to be able to fit in the little civic center.And another reason why we need a bigger civic center or arena is because so we can bring in more famous people and bigger events.So my wish is to build a bigger arena i would love the arena to be like the one in greensboro north carolina called the greensboro coliseum this arena in greensboro north carolina would be a great size for columbus because of brac and the people that is going to move to our area and our fast growing area.

pictures of the greensboro coliseum that would make a great arena for columbus.

picture of greensboro coliseum

http://www.greatatlantictravel.com/images/collegebasketball/greensboro.jpg (broken link)

picture of greensboro coliseum

http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/movies/arena.jpg (broken link)

I wonder how much it would cost to build a big arena like this in columbus.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:51 AM

63 posts, read 151,537 times
Columbus residents and surrounding areas have a LONG history of refusing to go to most local events unless they are $15 or less.
You can hardly get them to pay a cover charge at a downtown bar!!
BRAC will bring more crime/unemployment than ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA