Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2021, 07:54 AM

27 posts, read 40,076 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've read the older posts on this topic and now looking for up-to-date info and upside/down for move to Columbus area after 45 years in Atlanta area.

I just read AJC article listing Columbus as best GA city for under $50,000 income. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...outputType=amp
We're retirees in our 70's and house hunting, most recently in Newnan area, and prices have increased incredibly in the past year. Maybe Columbus is our next home?
I've read about uptown growth etc. We're looking for a modest home ready-to-move-in under $200,000 in nice safe subdivision, shopping relatively close by, ideally also walking trails/park, and hospital within 25 minutes.
Other than a brief visit to the riverfront area when under construction I know nothing about Columbus but it's the right size for us.

Can you tell me, is that price realistic? What areas should we look, what to avoid? Are there places for live music? Outdoor community events when no longer a pandemic? Is there a good senior center? Anything else?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 08:08 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greensousth View Post
Hi, I've read the older posts on this topic and now looking for up-to-date info and upside/down for move to Columbus area after 45 years in Atlanta area.

I just read AJC article listing Columbus as best GA city for under $50,000 income. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc...outputType=amp
We're retirees in our 70's and house hunting, most recently in Newnan area, and prices have increased incredibly in the past year. Maybe Columbus is our next home?
I've read about uptown growth etc. We're looking for a modest home ready-to-move-in under $200,000 in nice safe subdivision, shopping relatively close by, ideally also walking trails/park, and hospital within 25 minutes.
Other than a brief visit to the riverfront area when under construction I know nothing about Columbus but it's the right size for us.

Can you tell me, is that price realistic? What areas should we look, what to avoid? Are there places for live music? Outdoor community events when no longer a pandemic? Is there a good senior center? Anything else?
Thanks in advance
Columbus has everything you're looking for, and then some! It's also been a well kept "secret!" As a city of some 195,000, it punches above its weight and offers amenities of much larger cities. I offer the following and encourage you to visit for a long weekend to look around our fair city. Drilling down to the many links will provide you with much information.

www.visitcolumbusga.com

36 Hours: Columbus, Ga. – Find your tourist interests in Columbus, Ga.

www.alwaysuptown.com

The Chattahoochee River for tubing, kayaking, whitewater rafting, ziplining www.whitewaterexpress.com

The National Infantry Museum www.nationalinfantrymuseum.org

National Civil War Naval Museum www.portcolumbus.org

Coca-Cola Science Center www.ccssc.org

Springer Opera House www.springeroperahouse.org The State Theater of Georgia

RiverCenter www.rivercenter.org Conveniently located across from the Marriott downtown, and walking distance to the Historic District.

Historic Westville www.westville.org

www.rapids-riverfrontplace.com

www.columbusbotanicalgarden.org

https://oxbow.columbusstate.edu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5tpvM89bjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn7g_N-O9ek&t=208s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFo7czNfOlY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZk9tyRoWUU (This video features destinations close to Columbus

Last edited by columbusboy8; 01-22-2021 at 09:37 AM..

Old 01-22-2021, 08:13 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance
I would stick with North Columbus. You should be able to find something for $200K but it might be an older home. If you jumped up between $200-$250K your options would open up significantly. The Midland area of the city is booming. Close to major shopping areas and easy access to other areas of the city. Uptown has grown tremendously. Lots of things going on down there each weekend. The Lakebottom/Weracoba Park is a good area close to downtown and lots of walking opportunities. Hope this helps!

Old 01-22-2021, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I would stick with North Columbus. You should be able to find something for $200K but it might be an older home. If you jumped up between $200-$250K your options would open up significantly. The Midland area of the city is booming. Close to major shopping areas and easy access to other areas of the city. Uptown has grown tremendously. Lots of things going on down there each weekend. The Lakebottom/Weracoba Park is a good area close to downtown and lots of walking opportunities. Hope this helps!
Great suggestions for the original poster! I agree with everything you say! I went into Realtor.com for Columbus just now and see that expanding up to $250K dramatically increases the possibilities of finding a nice home. Midland and Uptown are definitely booming! Atlantans are noticing, and there is a lot of Atlanta investment interest in Columbus, particularly lately. I also noticed a small one bedroom condo right downtown by the river for $199K, within walking distance to everything in the Historic Uptown District.

Old 01-22-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Lots of helpful posts here! I'm not a realtor, but you should check out 7105 Affirm Lane in North Columbus, GA 31909 Good luck in your search. You'll like Columbus!

Old 01-22-2021, 01:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 879,942 times
I don't think there's any need to tell greensouth to up his budget to 250k. He said the Newnan area was proving to be priced out of their budget of 200k, and that budget is easily accommodating here.

Greensouth, take a look south of JR Allen and north of Manchester Expy, there are lots of homes in your budget and those neighborhoods are pretty good and that's an area where there's easy access to the Dragonfly trail system. It's centrally located for shopping as well. Right off Weems road there's a house for sale right now that's in your budget and a short walk away from Heath Park, which has a a nice trail loop.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
I don't think there's any need to tell greensouth to up his budget to 250k. He said the Newnan area was proving to be priced out of their budget of 200k, and that budget is easily accommodating here.

Greensouth, take a look south of JR Allen and north of Manchester Expy, there are lots of homes in your budget and those neighborhoods are pretty good and that's an area where there's easy access to the Dragonfly trail system. It's centrally located for shopping as well. Right off Weems road there's a house for sale right now that's in your budget and a short walk away from Heath Park, which has a a nice trail loop.
Good point, JayHey! One of Columbus's best kept "secrets" is on Weems Rd. The Columbus Botanical Garden!

Old 02-10-2021, 07:48 PM

27 posts, read 40,076 times
Delayed in getting back to the forum in- thank you for the info, exactly what I'm looking for. And nice to see Columbus boosters. By Midland, do you mean NE of Columbus, up Manchester Expy? I don't know the area at all.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:04 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Delayed in getting back to the forum in- thank you for the info, exactly what I'm looking for. And nice to see Columbus boosters. By Midland, do you mean NE of Columbus, up Manchester Expy? I don't know the area at all.
Yes that’s the Midland area of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA