Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 08:54 AM

73 posts, read 48,330 times

Advertisements

Global Payments, a Fortune 500 financial technology company with dual headquarters in Atlanta and Columbus, has sold its business in Russia. The buyer: an investment group led by Vladimir Potanin, Russia’s richest businessman and a close ally of Vladimir Putin.

Workers are scrambling once again not knowing who is next to go.
Columbus just cannot seem to get a foothold these days.

My good friends at Chef Lees passed news to me that they have sold their business as well.
Hopefully my buddy Jim at Countrys BBQ will not do the same.

No word from our City Leaders on anything constructive at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 02:55 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,850,394 times
Source? Potanin purchased United Card Services, which is part of Global Payments business in Russia, which they no longer want to do business in, just like many other Fortune 500 are doing.

Old 05-05-2022, 03:34 PM

Your post is a fragment of story....check your source and research

Old 05-07-2022, 03:49 PM

309 posts, read 257,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wilson View Post
Global Payments, a Fortune 500 financial technology company with dual headquarters in Atlanta and Columbus, has sold its business in Russia. The buyer: an investment group led by Vladimir Potanin, Russia’s richest businessman and a close ally of Vladimir Putin.

Workers are scrambling once again not knowing who is next to go.
Columbus just cannot seem to get a foothold these days.
They only exited Russia. Current sanctions likely made it difficult to continue business there. You make it sound as though they sold the entire company to a Russian investment group.

Quote:
My good friends at Chef Lees passed news to me that they have sold their business as well.
Hopefully my buddy Jim at Countrys BBQ will not do the same.
I saw that it sold as well. No restaurant or restaurant owner is immortal. Restaurants come and go. The other Chef Lee's location has been gone for 8 years. Heck, I miss the Linwood Lunchroom, Deorio's, Copperfield's, Malone's, the original Chicken Comer's, and the County Kitchen.

As for Country's, I heard that Jim Morpeth has turned most of the day to day operations over to his son Griff. They have a few franchises left in LaGrange and Alabama, but they've never really pursued massive expansion. (They used to have a few more franchised locations, but at least 2 have closed over the past decade).

Quote:
No word from our City Leaders on anything constructive at all.
I'm not sure I understand...are you implying that city leaders need to be more involved in the affairs of local businesses? Should they have somehow stepped in to prevent these businesses from selling? Or is this comment unrelated to the rest of your post?

Old 05-08-2022, 09:13 AM

I honestly would reply to your post but it truly reflects a total lack of understanding and obviously a bit of bias.
The original post was from the Ledger word for word and the real implications were directed toward the amount of cash drain on the company and its possible effects on local TSYS location.

The posts on eateries makes no sense as I was only speaking of Chef Lees and have known them since the first week they opened in the old Sonic on Buena Vista Road as well as knowing Jim since he opened on mercury in 1975 as I installed his original cd jukebox and overhead speakers on Broadway among other things and done work for more businesses locally than I can remember back to early 70's. Most have retired or sadly passed but great folks for sure.

Posters here seem to spend more time defending and trying to read into things that are not there than in understanding underlying issues in city and many have a lack of real info or maybe denial or hearsay.

I could spend hours on here with stories of this city 99 percent of you never knew but unfortunately stay to busy to bother.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:19 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,850,394 times
I would love to read said article on L-E. Please send link.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:57 AM

309 posts, read 257,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wilson View Post
I honestly would reply to your post but it truly reflects a total lack of understanding and obviously a bit of bias.
The original post was from the Ledger word for word and the real implications were directed toward the amount of cash drain on the company and its possible effects on local TSYS location.

The posts on eateries makes no sense as I was only speaking of Chef Lees and have known them since the first week they opened in the old Sonic on Buena Vista Road as well as knowing Jim since he opened on mercury in 1975 as I installed his original cd jukebox and overhead speakers on Broadway among other things and done work for more businesses locally than I can remember back to early 70's. Most have retired or sadly passed but great folks for sure.

Posters here seem to spend more time defending and trying to read into things that are not there than in understanding underlying issues in city and many have a lack of real info or maybe denial or hearsay.

I could spend hours on here with stories of this city 99 percent of you never knew but unfortunately stay to busy to bother.
The title of this thread is "TSYS/Global sold to Russian Putin Ally." That implies, at least to me, that the entire company was sold to a Putin ally, and that's not the case. You did not mention anything about "cash drain on the company and its possible effects on local TSYS location" in your first post.

You and I have different biases in regards to Columbus development, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

You've referenced the L-E article twice now and have yet to provide any sort of link to it. Then you've proceeded to berate people for not reading it. Could you please either post a link to this article or quote the relevant parts of it?

(Also - you out-olded me by mentioning the old Sonic on Buena Vista where Chef Lee's was. I had no idea there was a ever Sonic there. Well played.)

Old 05-09-2022, 06:29 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post
The title of this thread is "TSYS/Global sold to Russian Putin Ally." That implies, at least to me, that the entire company was sold to a Putin ally, and that's not the case. You did not mention anything about "cash drain on the company and its possible effects on local TSYS location" in your first post.

You and I have different biases in regards to Columbus development, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

You've referenced the L-E article twice now and have yet to provide any sort of link to it. Then you've proceeded to berate people for not reading it. Could you please either post a link to this article or quote the relevant parts of it?

(Also - you out-olded me by mentioning the old Sonic on Buena Vista where Chef Lee's was. I had no idea there was a ever Sonic there. Well played.)
I'm enjoying the tit for tat between you guys! Thanks for getting my day off to a good start. As both of you know, I'm definitely a "homer," but I do knock Columbus when justified. For example, the www.flycolumbusga.com website is dated in design, is dated in content, has links that don't work, and has only sporadic airport business meetings. To boot, when those meetings eventually do get posted, it's mostly "fluff." Oh well, I'm done for today. PS, as for being old---I sure do miss Prichett's for the catfish, the Villa Nova for the Italian, and the Black Angus for the steaks! (I'm HUNGRY!!) Don't get me started on bringing the Rialto and Bradley theaters back to life!!

Old 05-09-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASwift View Post

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...0f837be7cb17d2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA