Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 PM

63 posts, read 151,560 times

Advertisements

I think it does happen on a daily basis but is just not being reported.
What is happening in the uptown area is definitely not random as the area has become a certified magnet for bottomfeeders.
There has been a rash of carjackings and theft in midtown areas where my brother lives that have not be brought up on tv or newspapers.
I can tell you without a doubt that uptown has been going downhill for quite some time and the vet the previous poster mentioned is credible.(will not mention his name for privacy sake)
My roommates sister who goes to CSU had to move from downtown because of numerous incidents while just trying to get a coffee or sandwich.

Last edited by Aubtech; 06-23-2009 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 AM

201 posts, read 540,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubtech View Post
I think it does happen on a daily basis but is just not being reported.
What is happening in the uptown area is definitely not random as the area has become a certified magnet for bottomfeeders.
There has been a rash of carjackings and theft in midtown areas where my brother lives that have not be brought up on tv or newspapers.
I can tell you without a doubt that uptown has been going downhill for quite some time and the vet the previous poster mentioned is credible.(will not mention his name for privacy sake)
My roommates sister who goes to CSU had to move from downtown because of numerous incidents while just trying to get a coffee or sandwich.

Aub
I think the problem with many posters is that they are unaware of their surroundings and in denial for some reason.
The city has started many things but just cannot seem to understand that the entire area is just unappealing and slow.
Many of my clients told me the same thing when they started the whole downtown bar fiasco knowing what it would turn into and now the city has ANOTHER problem on their hands.
Thankfully the young student got out of there before something happened!!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,547 times
According to some posters, you must avoid all areas that have humans. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart03 View Post
Reading some of these posts you get the impression crime is rampant in Columbus. This is simply untrue. Crime happens everywhere, and saying these random crimes are a part of a bigger "crime wave" in the uptown, downtown and riverwalk area is a little premature. When crimes like this happen daily then we should be concerned... but pointing out an article about a bomb threat at CSU in 2007.. what does that have to do with rising crime rate uptown, downtown or the riverwalk???
I agree, a few people pick a random incident and blow it up way out of proportion to make it seem like it happens all of the time. These people exaggerate the truth, it's so funny!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I agree, a few people pick a random incident and blow it up way out of proportion to make it seem like it happens all of the time. These people exaggerate the truth, it's so funny!
9 incidents in ONE night downtown is random.
I rest my case.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
According to some posters, you must avoid all areas that have humans. Good luck.
??????

Old 06-25-2009, 07:20 AM

53 posts, read 143,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
You are still young and it takes time.
Its not your fault.
I did a little researching on some of your statements and it seems the downtown situation is dire.
Well according to the FBI Crime Stats, there where 635 forceable robberies in Columbus in 2008. The FBI's numbers At an average of almost 2 a day I am not surprised they don't all make into the paper. I don't think there is an agenda to conceal or under report crime in the downtown area. There are just so many reporters to go around and so many police reports to read.
Even so most arrests are not covered in the paper. Go sit in Recorders court at 8, 9, 2, and 3 and see all the preliminary hearings and you will get a feel for the crime and the amount of arrests. There are lots of arrests being made all over town and most recently in the Midtown area which is no surprise.

Last edited by Waltersplace; 06-25-2009 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 11:53 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Note please, this isn't a chat room. Keep your questions/replies on the topic of the thread and have private conversations via direct mail if you must do so.

Per the terms of service agreement:

"Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."

Old 06-26-2009, 05:25 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Note please, this isn't a chat room. Keep your questions/replies on the topic of the thread and have private conversations via direct mail if you must do so.

Per the terms of service agreement:

"Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."
Thank You!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 AM

21 posts, read 68,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
This one is even funnier and happened in the middle of the afternoon at one of the busiest areas in town.
Columbus Georgia even has hamburglers... rofl
What kind of a city is this?

Columbus woman robbed of McDonald's meal - News - Ledger-Enquirer.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA