Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes Columbus Georgia so undesirable?
Rude local people 22 45.83%
High cases of crime/drugs/AIDS etc 23 47.92%
Nothing to do 31 64.58%
Lack of decent paying jobs 30 62.50%
Poverty and unemployment 28 58.33%
Lags behind in other cities its size 29 60.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I agree...good post
Columbus is a slower small town with much less to do.
We have posters on here that make the city look like it has everything the big cities have..

Take care
Knew you would be lurking somewhere.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
Another vote in..

I'd have to echo some of what I've read here. Columbus is not a bad place to live, but it does have it's issues. I've lived here 3 years and moved here from Oklahoma City for a good job with one of the larger companies mentioned in a previous post.

Had I not had that job, moving to columbus there are several factors that would have kept me from moving here..

COSTS:
Higher than regional cost of living for housing, gas, food. Cost for these items is higher here than Atlanta 90 miles to the north with little reason for it to be that way. Muscogee county taxes are out of control when compared to city/counties 3 even 5 times their size in other states.
Housing was the big suprise with costs being 50,000 to 75,000 more than a similar house elsewhere.

A City divided:
There is more poverty visible here than other cities I've lived in that were this size or even larger. Much, maybe half of the city appears economically depressed. The crime rate seems higher as well and I guess this confirms the first part of this my assessment. I've been trying to determine if there is really more crime, or just more visibility due to the fact that the local news channels are eager to report everything..

All of this being said, I'm glad I'm here. It is a slower pace of life. rush hour lasts about 30 minutes and is about 2 miles long. I've made some great friends here because the people are so great.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:14 PM

107 posts, read 309,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd06x View Post
Another vote in..

I'd have to echo some of what I've read here. Columbus is not a bad place to live, but it does have it's issues. I've lived here 3 years and moved here from Oklahoma City for a good job with one of the larger companies mentioned in a previous post.

Had I not had that job, moving to columbus there are several factors that would have kept me from moving here..

COSTS:
Higher than regional cost of living for housing, gas, food. Cost for these items is higher here than Atlanta 90 miles to the north with little reason for it to be that way. Muscogee county taxes are out of control when compared to city/counties 3 even 5 times their size in other states.
Housing was the big suprise with costs being 50,000 to 75,000 more than a similar house elsewhere.

A City divided:
There is more poverty visible here than other cities I've lived in that were this size or even larger. Much, maybe half of the city appears economically depressed. The crime rate seems higher as well and I guess this confirms the first part of this my assessment. I've been trying to determine if there is really more crime, or just more visibility due to the fact that the local news channels are eager to report everything..

All of this being said, I'm glad I'm here. It is a slower pace of life. rush hour lasts about 30 minutes and is about 2 miles long. I've made some great friends here because the people are so great.
Scott,
Thanks for your honest thoughts.....I agree
Some folks choose to ignore or deny the truth
The issues with Columbus have never had to do with the wonderful working people who live here but the corruption and greed of a few.
Most if not all problems stem from this.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 AM

Latest labor statistics put Columbus unemployment rate at 7.3 and climbing.
Excuses won't get it when Auburn/Opelika is just over 4 percent.
which is phenomenal considering.
Kudos to their city officials for actually making things happen there(like good paying jobs) without spending tax dollars on surveys,useless studies or visits to other cities as Columbus has done to no avail.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 AM

13 posts, read 82,428 times
Well..MY reason wasn't there to choose...for me, the lack of walkability / good public transit is #1....I guess lack of TONS of shopping options, local farmer's markets, etc is #2 although I think we have all we can support now.

I don't think columbus has any higher rate of drug usage / AIDS than any other area...and, why would rate of AIDS be a concern if you are not engaged in activites that would infect you?!

Just my 2 cents...

Old 11-13-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art-teacher View Post
Well..MY reason wasn't there to choose...for me, the lack of walkability / good public transit is #1....I guess lack of TONS of shopping options, local farmer's markets, etc is #2 although I think we have all we can support now.

I don't think columbus has any higher rate of drug usage / AIDS than any other area...and, why would rate of AIDS be a concern if you are not engaged in activites that would infect you?!

Just my 2 cents...
I don't think walkability is even a thought to most people today regardless of where they live as we live in a mobile society.
Most Columbus residents will tell you that 80 percent of town is not safe to be walking anyway even during daylight hours much less in a car.
Georgia as a whole has a much higher AIDS rate which relates mostly to drugs and poverty according to CDC.
I think the concern is the overall effect to local community rather than being engaged in activities as is the case with drugs.
Most people do not want drugs around but do not engage in usage either.

Last edited by Courier23; 11-13-2008 at 07:39 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
I put in a good word for you at Action storage buildings in town.
They are looking for a good developer/real estate agent to sell their portable bldgs.
Just think how many BRAC personnel will be looking for one...you will be rich overnight.
What a moron..lol
I think he went to chicago to get a storage bldg contract signed for Action...

Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courier23 View Post
I think he went to chicago to get a storage bldg contract signed for Action...
You have been quiet for weeks and now you appear again. I love it! You have emerged from under your rock to talk your nonsense on this website. Everyone reads right through you so don't think anyone is taking you seriously....I sure am not .

Have a great day!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
You have been quiet for weeks and now you appear again. I love it! You have emerged from under your rock to talk your nonsense on this website. Everyone reads right through you so don't think anyone is taking you seriously....I sure am not .

Have a great day!
You sound like a poor soul in a no win situation...
I think you still have quite a lot to learn.....good luck anyway

Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post

Have a great day!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA