Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 02:44 AM

3 posts, read 9,788 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been living in Manhattan, NY for many years and do not know how to drive.
Is living near the college the only option if I wish to walk out my door and have options within walking distance? Coffe shops, independant movie theaters, TANNING salon, GYMS, groceries (farmers market preferred), parks for the puppy.
I am not interested in bars.

This is much harder for you to answer if you have a car.

My bf has to take a class for 5 months at ft benning, GA .

How long will it take for him to drive to work? He does *not* mind a long drive if it means I live in the above mentioned area.

He does have a car but will be in class all day.

Is there more than one college ? Is there another area besides college that has all this ?

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Last edited by untainted; 11-13-2008 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: Forgot one fact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:07 AM

13 posts, read 82,233 times
Just wanted to say that I responded to your pm.

Art-teacher

Old 11-14-2008, 11:41 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
Hi. Well I hate to be ugly but the neighborhood you're describing doesn't exist in Columbus well at least not to a t. There are no independent movie theaters. The theater at Peachtree Mall will play an artsy film. So basically yeah you need a car to be comfortable in Columbus no ifs, ands, buts about it.

However, being someone who has lived without a car before I can understand your situation. I know a few people who have moved into the lofts downtown but they're kinda expensive. Although they have opened a little mini store on Broadway but no full scale grocery store within walking distance nor movie theaters but you have the bars and the coffeeplaces downtown that you could walk to plus you would be near the Columbus State dorms that houses the arts students.

Another nice city-like area is Lakebottom and you have anice park to walk to. Downtown does not really have a park. The area around the main Columbus State campus is kinda older suburban so there isn't like this great big college scene going on. It's still a commuter school although it's certainly improved since I was a freshman there.

However quality wise you can't beat the suburbs on the far northside of town although you couldn't do anything without a car out there.

So all in all I'd recommend Lakebottom or possibly downtown. Or just a random apartment building in the suburbs and just relax at home until the bf is home. When I lived in the middle of the city by Peachtree Mall it took me 25 minutes to get to the Infantry hall where I know they have a lot of classes. Downtown would have a shorter commute.

At the end of the day though you need a car in Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA