U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:43 AM

84 posts, read 185,227 times
Default Alligators in Columbus?

Are there alligators in Columbus????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 AM

726 posts, read 1,877,306 times
Lmao.............................................. ..............................lol

Old 07-25-2009, 10:21 AM

103 posts, read 111,048 times
Theres none you will see, but there is some in moffitts mill(sp?) and
there has been some spotted in lake hardin, very few though.
Ofcourse lake eufula has a population of them.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:28 AM

34 posts, read 107,004 times
I go to lake harding all the time. Are the ones spotted there large? I saw lots in Eufala. Some one told me there's lots in Ft. Bennin'?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 AM

103 posts, read 111,048 times
There was 2 spotted by blanton creek camp grounds about a year ago , Oxbow Meadows has alligators.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:50 AM

34 posts, read 107,004 times
really... and really!!!! My children have went on trip with their school to oxbow meadows and i had no clue they were put in danger! Are they in lake Oliver?

Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM

53 posts, read 89,405 times
You will see most of them along the riverwalk and uptown on the weekends preying on unsuspecting tourists and kids looking for a cheap thrill.....watching the bullets fly!!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM

117 posts, read 323,429 times
The Chattahoochee is full of them. They added hundreds of them in Lake Eufaula to control the snake population in the lake and their numbers have grown a lot over the years

Old 07-25-2009, 08:19 PM

674 posts, read 1,537,259 times
Ok....I don't want to show my ignorance here, but I had no idea that gators would be found that far north in non-coastal Georgia. Columbus is not all that far south of Atlanta--and I did not think this would be an issue up there.

How far north in Georgia will gators be found? and where in particular are they an issue (problem)? I won't even think of getting in any lakes down here in Florida. Between the gators and snakes, not a chance.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:16 AM

9,118 posts, read 20,945,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Ok....I don't want to show my ignorance here, but I had no idea that gators would be found that far north in non-coastal Georgia. Columbus is not all that far south of Atlanta--and I did not think this would be an issue up there.

How far north in Georgia will gators be found? and where in particular are they an issue (problem)? I won't even think of getting in any lakes down here in Florida. Between the gators and snakes, not a chance.
1) Whether it be through natural events or man-made, the climate IS changing and it's getting/staying warmer and warmer slowly as you go North.

2) No one is sure if these are pets released in the area or if they migrated here or are just "visiting". Either way - even as far North as Atlanta we occasionally see one...

Marietta Daily Journal - Alligator spotted in Chattahoochee

Alligator Spotted in Lake Lanier - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

Those were this year. Last year there was a 6-footer in the River near where this year's one is (maybe same one?), and one or two more in area lakes. Two years before that a guy heard a growl in the small feeder stream behind his house and on the news they showed gator tracks the next morning as well as what looked like possible egg fragments and baby gator tracks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA