U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:53 PM

67 posts, read 159,862 times

Advertisements

The areas in South Columbus that are run down are rental property owned by white people who live in North Columbus. But don't fret, there are many community groups down there now who are turnining these slumlords over to the special enforcement division. The schools reflect the school board and the school administration. It is a known fact that the resources are not equally distributed throughtout the school district. This will be changing soon.

No matter where you live in Columbus, you will not lose. This is a great place to live and we need more positive citizens. For those citizens north of macon road who are judgemental of the south, the hurricane should have shown you that you could have lost it all to include your lives with just a winking of the eye. The people in those "run down" houses in south columbus were safer that night than you were in your upscale dwellings. While you are looking down on us, God is taking care to look over us as we move about in his Grace each day because He knows who is harming us. Life and death is in the tongue. As you speak ill of South Columbus, you are speaking ill of the entire city. Remember, South Columbus was Columbus, the tax base that built North Columbus. It is because of South Columbus, that North Columbus exists.

I will add that South Columbus feels more like a suburb because there is less traffic down there and the driving is stress free. There air quality is better and pedestrain life exists because there are less cars.

Rigdon Road Elementary School is the best Elemetary school in this city. Columbus High is an all magnet school. But all of our schools have excellent magnet programs. Columbus high is more pronounced because it is all magnet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 05:11 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,524,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_Mom View Post
leaving AS SOON AS POSSIBLE but I can say two good things:

I don't think there is a lot of racism here, but there is closemindedness.

The schools I feel are great, especially Reese Road and those in Harris County.
I moved from Florida to Columbus a while back and I was unhappy. I think the city is much better if you're married with kids or part of the military scene. I was single and was bored senseless...had to drive to Atlanta often on the weekends. I did like the change in seasons and the people are friendly.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:23 PM

670 posts, read 2,051,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
I moved from Florida to Columbus a while back and I was unhappy. I think the city is much better if you're married with kids or part of the military scene. I was single and was bored senseless...had to drive to Atlanta often on the weekends. I did like the change in seasons and the people are friendly.
LOL gosh I cannot even imagine being single without kids here, married, 3 kids and a dog...still can't wait to get out of dodge.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,366 times
I am a divorced mom of 3 teenagers. I moved my family to Columbus for a job opportunity, we came here from North Carolina. If you do not have family here or are military connected, you are treated as an outsider, weather at school (Columbus High School), church, work (TSYS), or as a volunteer (Hands on Columbus) around the city. As soon as my children are done with school, I hope to move back to North Carolina, that is, if there are any IT jobs left in the US by then...

Not Bitter, just disapointed in the lack of southern charm/acceptance.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 AM

670 posts, read 2,051,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RostedChai View Post
I am a divorced mom of 3 teenagers. I moved my family to Columbus for a job opportunity, we came here from North Carolina. If you do not have family here or are military connected, you are treated as an outsider, weather at school (Columbus High School), church, work (TSYS), or as a volunteer (Hands on Columbus) around the city. As soon as my children are done with school, I hope to move back to North Carolina, that is, if there are any IT jobs left in the US by then...

Wow Chai I thought I was the only one (well except for some people we met from New Orleans, same experience).

Old 08-23-2007, 03:38 PM

1,072 posts, read 561,276 times
Of Georgia's Fall Line Cities.. I would have to rank Columbus first. It seems to have a pretty functional local government that gets things done. Every time I visit I am amazed at what new civic project has gone up or is under construction. The Riverwalk is really a nice amenity. AS far as where to live.. yes indeed North Columbus is your best bet.. and southern Harris county is a good choice too. Columbus doesn't have everything that bigger metro areas has to offer.. but then again you are not terribly far from metro Atlanta for all of that. Columbus sems to be a place in transition (in a good way).. a lot of positive things are happening in Columbus.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,518,046 times
DisgustaSucks, why did you choose that handle? Any way as a long time resident I have to agree, Columbus is on the move in a good way. As for USA_Mom and RoastedChai I wonder what circles were you trying to get into. To be sure there are some high class snobs that live in this area and I have run across some of them, but do you think I'm going to let a few clowns take away my joy? I Don't Think So!! By the way, my wife is from LA and she loves it here. We came here as civilians just like you all did. I talked a friend of mine into moving here from San Diego and he and his family love it here also. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. DisgustaSucks is correct, Atlanta is within 1.5 hours drive with all the big city stuff you can't find here, such as? There is plenty of shopping, sports, theater, music, food, parks and civic activities here in Columbus. And one of the most important things about the area is that all the local governments interact with each other, therefore there is plenty of growth on both sides of the Chattahoochee River and the civic pride here is amazing.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,605 times
Default Love living in Columbus Georgia

We are military and we lived in Columbus, Georgia for 6 years, we will be moving next month to Hinevilles, Georgia and I am hating it. I love Columbus its beautiful here. My daughter just started elementary school and she loves it. If you are moving here you will love it it is a place for family. Good eating spots and shopping spots. Come and enjoy it while I am leaving.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,514 times
Default Chai nailed this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostedChai View Post

Amen to that! It's the same even married with kids... If you're not a native - i.e. your great great grandparents were born and raised here - then you're an outsider. My neighbor explained it well a couple years ago - he said it will take people ten years to even consider you "new", but once they finally do accept you they never forget you... I'd say he's probably right. We've been here 2.5 years and we still barely exist. Although we are being included in more things at my son's school this year - it's definitely a major improvement. I feel sorry for the "new" family - it will be a year or two before they're included.

I honestly don't think it's a personal thing - I think it just "is". I think it's a cultural issue as well as people being entrenched in their own lives - they have family and long-standing friends and frankly they just don't need more. At least that's my conclusion.

I know it's a few months late and probably too late to help the original poster, but my vote would be Midland area for public schools - Midland Academy. It is the best school, IMHO, in the area. That being said we opted for private school for our child and I couldn't give the school enough accolades. I also frankly don't think our child would get the same caliber education from any of the private schools. We moved to Harris County, because we were told the schools were so great. My child didn't stay two months before we left the system and started the 20 mile commute into NW Columbus. If I were purchasing now I'd be looking in NW Columbus - Bradley Park area, Brookstone, Whitesville N, River Rd, Fortson. That's just my preferred area. I like where we live, but the drive to EVERYTHING gets a bit old.

Anyway, there's a lot I like about Columbus - the school the most... I will miss it when we move and it will be hard to replace. I find myself going to Atlanta about once a month just to grocery shop etc. It's a royal pain, but at least it's an option. I love the lack of traffic and I love the heat - not a big fan of being cold. I could live without the humidity and bugs!

Anyway, I think Chai's comments are pretty accurate and I too was very disappointed. I was expecting that mythical Southern hospitality, but found it to be more a myth than a reality. The people are nice enough, but they're hard to get to know as anything other than aquaintances. I've lived everywhere at this point, other than the extreme NE, and I have to say this is the most difficult as far as meeting people. Every other location has been far more welcoming... I suppose it would be better (at least I like to think so) if we lived on a half acre in NW Columbus rather than 5 acres in Harris County. It's just tough with this much space to really know even your neighbors - no one is out other than to cut the grass... It's definitely different.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:21 PM

349 posts, read 699,223 times
My husbands great-uncle lives there and has for a very long time. They love it there and I always enjoy visiting. I guess he's what others would call "accepted" ...don't know, everyone is always friendly when we visit...maybe it's your perception of others or how you are treating them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA