Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:55 PM

15 posts, read 191,485 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job offer in Columbus, Georgia, so we will be moving there within a month.....I have read several posts about Columbus...some really good....some not so good. I would like to get some feedback from people that live there, or have lived there recently, and really like it there, and have some good things to say about it. Also, what are the nicest areas of Columbus as far as raising a family? If price wasn't an issue...where would people live? What are the most affluent areas of Columbus? I need good schools (most importantant).....look forward to your responses...thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 06:19 PM

111 posts, read 865,612 times
I've recently moved from Columbus, but lived there for 10 years.

You'll want to look in the north Columbus area for nice houses and good schools. Also Midland (in north east Columbus) has excellent schools.

Also consider Harris County. It's the county just north of Muscogee and is a bedroom community for Columbus. That's where we lived. Many, many nice neighborhoods to choose from with many new neighborhoods developing. We were just there last weekend and were surprised at the number of new neighborhoods being developed. Harris County has excellent elementary schools (if you stay in the New Mountain Hill Elem. and Mulberry Creek Elem. zones. Those are the two schools closest to Muscogee County anyway. The high school is very good. The middle school needs a lot of intervention, but so do all the Cols. middle schools. We put our DD in private school (Brookstone) for middle school, but would have been happy with Columbus High for high school (it is consistently ranked as one of the top 10 GA high schools).

Probably the largest and most well known affluent neighborhoods are Green Island Hills and Brookstone and some of the smalller neighborhoods in that area (such as River Crest). If you're familiar with Cols. at all, these are the neighborhoods just west of Target.

I think Cols. and the surrounding areas have a lot to offer families. It's a relatively short drive to Atl. as well as the beaches and the mountains. We LOVE FDR State Park, Callaway Gardens, Oxbow Meadows Treetop Trail, the Civil War Naval Museum, the Chattahoochee River, Warm Springs, and Providence Canyon. If your kids are into drama, the Springer Theatre has the BEST drama camps and programs. Plus there are countless other opportunities for families and kids.

LMK if you have any other questions.

ETA: for upscale neighborhoods in Harris County check out Coca Lake and Callaway Woods.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM

115 posts, read 539,419 times
Thanks I needed that info also. I'm moving there this fall after graduation. Are there any good hospitals there and do you have any names where I can apply for a job in my field (surgical technologist). Do Columbus have any black/white issues I'm black and I love ALL people. What is there to do for fun with your family there? Where should I move where it won't take thirty minutes to get to a corner store, mall, or grocery store?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,178,444 times
There are several hospitals in the Columbus area, The Medical Center, St. Francis, Doctors Hospital, Houston Sports and Orthopedics Hospital, The Summit, Martin Army and East Alabama Medical Center and if you decide to move to Harris County, then there is West GA in La Grange. If you are looking for family activities, then the children will love it here, there parks, swimming pools, sports and they will be building a new skating park and rink.
As far as racial issues I would be lying if I said they do not exist, but not nearly as bad here as in other areas of the US. People here seem to be more tolerant toward other races. My advice to you and your husband is to get out, get to know the people and the area.
There nice subdivision all over the city even on the south side of town. The problem with the South side is the schools, but you can live on the south side and have your children go to any school in the city, but you will have to furnish the transportation. Don't shy away from the south side, because there you will find some of the best soul, Caribbean, Asian, Indian and Hispanic (Mexican and Cuban) foods. A lot of people miss out on this because they are scared to go south of Macon Road.
To make a long story short, I have lived in a lot of places (NM, CO, AZ, Japan), I am ex Air Force, but I prefer it here. My family and I love this place. Sure we go to Atlanta occasionally, but to be honest Atlanta just have a lot of the same things we have here. The only exception to that would be the amusement parks and the zoo, but then again GA pumps a lot of money into Atlanta to make it the star attraction of the State. One more thing, 3 hours from the whitest sand and prettiest aqua blue water in the USA. One more thing, if your husband is into college and/or pro sports, then he will love Columbus.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:52 PM

JLA,
Could you please steer me to the nicest areas of Columbus? Which County is the nicest? Where are the BEST schools? Thanks!!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 PM

670 posts, read 2,988,485 times
Default Came in September...

leaving AS SOON AS POSSIBLE but I can say two good things:

I don't think there is a lot of racism here, but there is closemindedness.

The schools I feel are great, especially Reese Road and those in Harris County.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainPonteVedra View Post
JLA,
Could you please steer me to the nicest areas of Columbus? Which County is the nicest? Where are the BEST schools? Thanks!!
Are you looking for Elem, Middle, or High? Private or public? This makes a huge difference.

As far as which county is the nicest, again it depends on your preferences. Do you want a larger lot, crickets chirping you to sleep, and lower crime rate or do you want the convenience of stores, restaurants, etc. being just around the corner? There are high end neighborhoods in Harris and Muscogee Counties as I mentioned above.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKI View Post
Thanks I needed that info also. I'm moving there this fall after graduation. Are there any good hospitals there and do you have any names where I can apply for a job in my field (surgical technologist). Do Columbus have any black/white issues I'm black and I love ALL people. What is there to do for fun with your family there? Where should I move where it won't take thirty minutes to get to a corner store, mall, or grocery store?

First of all, congrats on your upcoming graduation!!!! There are two main hospitals in town.....Columbus Regional and St. Francis. Columbus Regional is the "county" hospital and probably where you'd get a lot of varied experiences when you're just starting out. You're just not going to see the wide variety of tramas in a private hospital like St. Francis. But St. Francis would be a fine choice as well. There's also Doctor's Hospital, but it's not very noteworthy IMO.

If you're interested, there is an orthopedic hospital there.....Hughston Sports Medicine. And some of the doctors pulled out of Hughston about a year ago and started a hospital in Phenix City (just over the Alabama line.....literally 5 minutes from downtown Cols.).

As far as the black/white issue.....there is a road in Columbus (Macon Rd.) that traditionally divides the city racially....blacks to the south and whites to the north. But in my opinion, it's not a racial issue as much as it's a class issue. South Columbus has a much higher crime rate and poverty level. The closer you get to Ft. Benning (south of Cols.) the older and more run down the areas become. And the schools in south Cols. are, generally speaking, TERRIBLE!!!

You would not be unwelcome in north Columbus. In fact, you'd be welcome there and truly do just fine. Anything north of Macon Rd. is where I'd tell you to look. Especially look in the Bradley Park Dr. area (neighborhoods off of Double Churches Rd./Williams Rd.). The Schomberg Rd./Blackmon Rd. area is growing as well and zoned for good schools. So, that'd be north and east Cols. to look. All of these are VERY close to the new shopping centers and new grocery stores. The Midland area is growing, but may be further out of town than you'd want.

As far as family activities....how old are your kids? Columbus has a lot of parks and a river walk. It has a nice art museum (free!!!) with a children's section. The museum has awesome plays, puppet shows, and musical groups from around the world in the summer...all free!!! If you like nature, you'll love the treetop walk at Oxbow Meadows. There are two new, big movie theatres. One tends to have the G/PG/PG13 movies for kids/families. It also has an indoor putt-putt course, carousel, and all sorts of children's rides.....pretty cool!!! Here's a link to it: Hollywood Connection (http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-2980343-hollywood_connection_columbus-i - broken link). There's a Chuckie Cheese and something similar also just opened up....if you're into that sort of thing. Lots of kids camps and recreational sports. Arts, theatre, music, sports.....you name it. Oh...and lots of libraries...VERY nice libraries.

I hoped that helped some.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmartini View Post
Are you looking for Elem, Middle, or High? Private or public? This makes a huge difference.

As far as which county is the nicest, again it depends on your preferences. Do you want a larger lot, crickets chirping you to sleep, and lower crime rate or do you want the convenience of stores, restaurants, etc. being just around the corner? There are high end neighborhoods in Harris and Muscogee Counties as I mentioned above.
Pinkmartini,
Thanks for the advice....we are looking for public schools. And I absolutely DO NOT want to be isolated....ie, crickets chirping me to sleep, I like the convenience of stores, restaurants, ect....are the public schools in Harris or Muscogee county better in one or the other? Do you have zip codes for the nicer area of both? Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainPonteVedra View Post
Pinkmartini,
Thanks for the advice....we are looking for public schools. And I absolutely DO NOT want to be isolated....ie, crickets chirping me to sleep, I like the convenience of stores, restaurants, ect....are the public schools in Harris or Muscogee county better in one or the other? Do you have zip codes for the nicer area of both? Thanks in advance!!

If I were going to send my kids to Muscogee county schools. these are the ones I would look at:

Elementary:
Britt David - it's a magnet school - very competitive to get into
Eagle Ridge - brand new school in a nice developing area of Cols
Double Churches - this is near the affluent neighborhoods you want, but the school is just "so, so"....I'd drive the extra mile or two to Britt David
North Cols Elem - worth checking out. not sure if it's open yet, but it's in a very new developing area and near the new high school and middle school
Hannan - Muscogee Co. has a completely separate gifted and talented elem.

Middle Schools:
Double Churches - relatively new. I had a friend whose child went there and loved the experience. It's near the neighborhoods you'll be looking at. Also very close to Double Churches Elem and Britt David
Veterans Memorial - brand new. Very good north Cols. location
Midland Middle - great reputation, but probably too far out of town for you

High Schools:
Northside - this is in the new developing area of Cols. Excellent school. It's an engineering magnet school
Columbus High - in the historic area of Cols. Excellent college prep magnet school.

Zip codes: looks like 31909 for Columbus (I'm sure there are more). Cols map. Check out Green Island Hills, Brookstone, Maple Ridge Golf Club, River Crest. There are several other small, upscale neighborhoods in the Brookstone/Green Island Hills area. You'll find houses in the $300-400K and up range. Green Island Hills and the estate lots of River Crest will be much more than that......not quite sure what price range you're looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA