U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,676 times

Advertisements

We're currently renting in the Columbus area but are looking to buy a home. We'd like to be in an area with a 20-minute or less (in general) commute to downtown and a great school district (have a child who will start school in a couple years). I'd also really like an area where I could walk to a park, library, cafe, shops, etc. In addition, we'd prefer to be north of I-70 because most of our friends and family are on the north side or farther north in Ohio.
Our search has focused most recently on Old Worthington and Upper Arlington due to the above criteria. However, our budget is somewhere around 300K, which is tough in those areas (would be willing to stretch a bit for the right house, but also would prefer to pay less and have more wiggle room!). I have also been keeping my eye on Grandview (also pricey for the square footage), Bexley (nice but would prefer to be north or west rather than east), and have looked at Dublin (long commute due to bad traffic) and Hilliard a bit.
I guess my questions are 1.) am I missing an area I should be checking out that would fit our criteria? and 2.) what are your opinions on UA and Old Worthington and what it's really like to live there, go to school there, etc.?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM

37 posts, read 148,161 times
Hello,

I am partial to Worthington, especially along High Street. There are some cute pockets of homes that are close to shopping and parks. I don't think Columbus has a true walkable neighborhood though. You can live around a few homes that allow access to this; however, subdivisions will not, and this is maybe what you are looking for??

I love Worthington

Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM

372 posts, read 591,765 times
Grandview is a suburb I'd seriously consider given your criteria - it's a very walkable neighborhood as there are sidewalks on just about every street and you can walk to restaurants and shops along Grandview Avenue as well as schools and parks. The schools in Grandview are rated highly and also fairly small. Grandview's also very close to downtown. As you mentioned, Grandview can be pricey so you may sacrifice square footage for location.

Upper Arlington south of Lane Avenue is very nice and for the most part walkable, but there's not much to walk to in terms of shops or restaurants, other than a few places along Arlington Avenue near Jones Middle School. There are several nice parks in this part of Arlington. The newer parts of Arlington are also very nice, but probably not as walkable. The school system in Arlington is excellent, though the schools are not exactly small. Housing in Arlington is quite expensive, but for $300,000 you could get a nice home, particularly if you don't mind putting some work into a possibly dated one. Arlington has a bad reputation with some as being snooty, but honestly, it seems no more so than New Albany, Bexley, etc. and it seems to be a great place to raise a family.

Bexley would be a good choice for you as well, but it sounds like the east side is not where you want to be. I'm not all that familiar with Worthington, so I can't say much about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus