Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,211 times

Advertisements

I am graduating soon from university. I will be moving to Columbus from Maine / Nova Scotia. I will be working a professional job up near Easton Town Center. I am thinking of possibly living in Grandview Heights. I was wondering what that commute might be like? Does anyone have any opinions on Arbors of Watermark Apartments?

I am looking for suggestions of possible neighborhoods to live in for a young professional. I figured I want to live somewhat close to downtown to meet people my first year in Columbus.

Also wondering what some low to fair priced furniture stores are in Columbus?

What is everyone's recommendation when it comes to high speed internet in Columbus?

Finally places to go / things to do to meet people in Columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:55 PM

11 posts, read 26,935 times
I have Time Warner Cable and I love it. I have 7mbps Internet, digital cable, 1 HD DVR, Showtime, and HBO and I pay $82.02 a month including tax.

If you want to be in a young professional area, I would look at living the Arena District, German Village, or Brewery District. You can look up housing on www.metro-rentals.com. I've lived in all three as a young professional and loved it. You are close to downtown, there are tons of young professionals, and lots to do! It is also a great commute because you are going from downtown to a suburb so you get to watch the rush hour, but not be in it You should be able to get to Easton in 15 minutes.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:14 PM

11 posts, read 38,724 times
I lived in Arbors of Watermark a two years ago. The apartments are kinda old, but they are reasonably priced for being so close to downtown. There are mostly grad students and young professionals living there and it is close to everything. The commute to Easton (where I worked) would be about 20 minutes, depending on the time of day.

I have also lived in Vicorian Village and loved it! There, you are actually within walking distance to the Short North and the Arena District and that is really nice. Rent would probably be a little higher there than say, Arbors..but it's so much closer to all the fun.

Good luck!!

Old 04-13-2010, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 6,211 times
Thanks for the responses!!

Are there any areas in the Arena District, German Village, Brewery District, or Victorian Village that should be avoided? Any recommended apartment complexes?

Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 AM

11 posts, read 26,935 times
In the Arena District, I lived in Arena Crossing apartments and I loved it there. You can't ask for a better location and the apartments are new and the type of people that live there are young professions and there is some corporate housing. Everyone there is very nice and on top of things.

In the Brewery District, I lived in Brewer's Yard. The complex got horrible reviews on apartmentratings.com, but I have no idea why. I lived in a first floor apartment that had a porch opening to the pool and the noise was never a problem. The leasing staff was always very kind, available, and open to helping. Maintenance always responded to requests within 24 hrs.

Victorian Village and German Village have a lot of houses, condos, and duplexes. A lot are for sale and a fair amount are for rent. I've not seen many apartment complexes in those areas and the few I did see weren't too great. A lot of the houses are pretty great there though.

Just avoid being too close to Parson's Ave in the German Village area. Try to stay as close to Schiller Park as possible.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisher85 View Post
Thanks for the responses!!

Are there any areas in the Arena District, German Village, Brewery District, or Victorian Village that should be avoided? Any recommended apartment complexes?
If you are talking about safety wise, these areas are all relatively safe. Just like in any area where you have a lot of people, just be aware of your surroundings. These are all great options to consider a place to live.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,604 times
I was just reading some of reivews on Columbus, Oh. Boy, I would like to see more positive things about living in Columbus,Groveport Ohio as I am moving here in the fall with my job! How discouraging some people are! Please, more positive attitude & results! Thanks! P.S. I', also a bornagain catholic/christian myself!!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:21 PM

34 posts, read 75,696 times
MEETING PEOPLE / PLACES TO GO / PLACES TO LIVE:
easton town center is a very ritzy area... i'm sure you will enjoy it, as it seems everyone in columbus heads out there at least occassionally, especially spring/summer/fall since it's a great outdoor mall with lots of shopping and restaurants in the area. it's a nice place to walk around, grab some coffee, bistro tables everywhere to just hang out...

cost of rentals out there is quite high... i imagine the grandview area, though older, is much better. The arena district is very cool (always something going on), and the short north (which has the monthly gallery hop on the evening of the first saturday of every month) is great... all close to the grandview area. Living out there, being able to enjoy the benefits of the short north and arena district, while working near easton would give you some of the best that columbus has to offer. There is also the Polaris area which has a huge mall, tons of shopping/restaurants.. there are probably apartments out there if you are interested in a suburban area. You could check out Gahanna/NewAlbany areas, both very nice for suburbs near Easton.

FURNITURE:

Value City Furniture (medium-priced)
TJ Maxx/Home Goods
Kroger Marketplace (grocery store plus home furnishings) has nice tables, end tables, etc that are attractive yet inexpensive
Maybe Front Room Outlet, but that is a bit more on the typically expensive side

CABLE INTERNET:

I used to use WOW, but it's been a while. Now I have AT&T and I'm pleased.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 PM

34 posts, read 75,696 times
selma, columbus is not that bad. it is a really nice, progressive, clean, interesting city. and it seems to only get better and better in terms of stuff to do. I grew up here and have always liked it (well, except for our many gray days). i've had family from other places, much bigger cities, come and find columbus to be better than they expected, and are able to really enjoy and appreciate what columbus has to offer. and there are plenty of christian catholics and protestants, so you'll fit right in! however, there is a wonderful, friendly gay/les community, 2nd in number to san fran last i heard, especially in the short north area, so i hope that won't bother you (shows cols is not a closed type of city).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus