U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 PM

20 posts, read 31,242 times

Advertisements

Just move at the Preserve near Hamilton Road in Gahanna. Is it best to get Direct TV (security deposit required) or get cable Insight or WOW. I leaning towards Direct TV. Is this the best way to go far as money wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 PM

122 posts, read 354,064 times
I'd get cable. Do you really want to go out in the winter to knock the snow off the dish and melt the ice off with hot water?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM

205 posts, read 566,951 times
I'm in New Albany (Hampsted Village) and I have Direct TV. I had to knock snow off the dish zero times this past winter. I am new to the area but everything I heard indicated that it was a pretty harsh winter. I get Direct TV to see my football team (NFL Sunday Ticket is only available on DTV) so I didn't really research Insight, WOW, or U-Verse but if you find DTV is the best for you don't let weather scare you off. In a decade of DTV in Michigan (worse winters than Columbus) I had to clear snow off a handful of times but never once had to melt off ince with hot water. Of course, that poster is from Florida so I'm not sure how much DTV experience they've had in northern climates anway.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:16 PM

198 posts, read 440,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
I'm in New Albany (Hampsted Village) and I have Direct TV. I had to knock snow off the dish zero times this past winter. I am new to the area but everything I heard indicated that it was a pretty harsh winter. I get Direct TV to see my football team (NFL Sunday Ticket is only available on DTV) so I didn't really research Insight, WOW, or U-Verse but if you find DTV is the best for you don't let weather scare you off. In a decade of DTV in Michigan (worse winters than Columbus) I had to clear snow off a handful of times but never once had to melt off ince with hot water. Of course, that poster is from Florida so I'm not sure how much DTV experience they've had in northern climates anway.
I grew up in Michigan (Lansing area) as well and let me tell you Michigan gets a hell of a lot more snow than Columbus does.

But Columbus gets a lot more freezing rain than Michigan. So yes you would have to melt ice off the dish here more often.

I had Insight Cable but after being a customer for 8 years, they dicked me on fees. I finally gave up and signed up for WOW cable. When I called Insight to cancel, they asked who I was going to so I told them. They then started to offer me all these discounts and reduced rates. I about blew up on the phone to the lady and asked her that why with an 8 year customer she was just offering me all this stuff now and not back then. She said because she wanted to keep me with Insight. I told her to f*ck off and cancel my service within the hour. I hung up the phone and the next day an insight guy came to pick up the gear. I almost threw it at him I was so mad.

I had WOW cable for three months now and its been good so far. $20 cheaper than Insight per month and I get the Starz movie channels which with Insight I would of had to pay more for. Faster internet as well.

Friends from work have WOW cable also. They said wait a couple months then call them back and threaten to switch. Tell them another provider offered you a better deal and that you were *thinking* of switching over. They will then give you a discounted price for a full year or more just to get you to stay.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,959 times
Depends on how fancy your tv is. If I had a 1080 HDTV, then I'd have to say go with Directv which has more HD channels especially sports. Their service sucks though. Don't believe the commercials.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 AM

20 posts, read 31,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
I grew up in Michigan (Lansing area) as well and let me tell you Michigan gets a hell of a lot more snow than Columbus does.

But Columbus gets a lot more freezing rain than Michigan. So yes you would have to melt ice off the dish here more often.

I had Insight Cable but after being a customer for 8 years, they dicked me on fees. I finally gave up and signed up for WOW cable. When I called Insight to cancel, they asked who I was going to so I told them. They then started to offer me all these discounts and reduced rates. I about blew up on the phone to the lady and asked her that why with an 8 year customer she was just offering me all this stuff now and not back then. She said because she wanted to keep me with Insight. I told her to f*ck off and cancel my service within the hour. I hung up the phone and the next day an insight guy came to pick up the gear. I almost threw it at him I was so mad.

I had WOW cable for three months now and its been good so far. $20 cheaper than Insight per month and I get the Starz movie channels which with Insight I would of had to pay more for. Faster internet as well.

Friends from work have WOW cable also. They said wait a couple months then call them back and threaten to switch. Tell them another provider offered you a better deal and that you were *thinking* of switching over. They will then give you a discounted price for a full year or more just to get you to stay.

I choose Insight for varies reasons. One they have nfl network which is a must for me. I know Direct TV has the sunday ticket and nfl network, but they wanted a security deposit of $228 just to get the equipment install. Also my bill with direct tv along with the sunday ticket for 4 months will come out too $170.00. Insight has nfl network and othee sports package which is $10 per month. Two I also wanted internet which Insight has. Now my bill with Insight is about 120. Now I am from D.C. MD and I had Comcast which is the only cable company in D.C. Comast is almost like Time Warner. My comast bill for cable and internet was about $195 a month. So insight is way cheaper then what I was used to pay with Comcast. Comcast dick you with fees for remotes, boxes and other surcharges. WOW doesnt have NFL network and they are not offer in Gahanna. TW sucks. Direct tv is expensive. So insight was my best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus