U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 PM

205 posts, read 566,496 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Grandview is a bit pricey for those stats...and like I said we were also tired of fixing up older homes and wanted something newer.

We moved from the suburbs of Detroit but have also lived in Los Angeles. We are happier in our New Albany neighborhood than any other neighborhood we've ever lived in. We honestly didn't think neighbors could be so nice. That's not to imply anything bad about neighbors elsewhere in Columbus but it does speak volumes about our neighbors in Michigan and California.

I love Gahanna, too (they are neighboring communities, anyway) but like I said before I know very little about Pickerington. I know you can find a house under $300k in New Albany or Gahanna, though. With the ages of your kids, check out the schools and community ammenities. That is how we made our decision. You will find what works for you. Also, don't just drive through these areas on your next visit....spend a little time in the area stores as they lend a decent picture or who your neighbors may be. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM

154 posts, read 435,237 times
behindenemylines, I know what you mean! We went to this one area in VA that I thought would be stuck up because the area was new and nice then we stopped by the local grocery store and had a conversation with a couple then a man in line and they were both so nice, we were shocked. It definitely helps to get out of the car and go in the stores. I have even driven in neighborhoods where we were thinking of buying a home and the neighbors would wave! It was awesome to see that there are still very happy, nice people in the world.

I think I'll have to take you up on that and give New Albany and Gahanna a shot. I like them both but we have lived in condos or townhomes for so long that I just want to stretch out...lol. I am a city girl but i think i am so sick of the cramped living that I'll move further out to get the space that I'm wanting.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 AM

29 posts, read 57,333 times
Someone tell me where the Beer Schools are. I'm SO moving there! lol (just kidding!)

I will tell you a funny "secret" or factoid to the greater Columbus area... it takes 20-30 minutes to get almost anywhere you want to go! Now, in the middle of rush hour, that might not be the case...but for the most part, 20-30 minutes is the average! (by the way, rush hour is like 7-8:30; 4:30-6pm give or take...not the 4 hours in the morning, then afternoon, then all day on the summer weekends). I'm only warning you for the culture shock you might experience out here! Just when you start to get into that audio book or jammin to that tune, you're there! (When I was in NoVa, I drove from Quantico to Sterling, and back, every day). Fortunately, though there's often construction, but the highways and major arteries are pretty good around here and you can zip all around town with little/no problems.

NOVAchick, I wish you luck with your search! I'll be anxious to hear where you and your family end up moving.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:33 PM

66 posts, read 174,634 times
I was in IT for 15 years before moving into real estate. The IT market here is not bad, but it's not great either. Some of the largest companies here (I won't name names) have out sourced most of their IT work overseas, however some of it is slowly starting to trickle back in.

I have friends that were laid off in May of 09, that still don't have jobs and they have 20+ years of experience. The main employers here for IT are mainly finance and insurance companies, with a few large retail chains based here as well. If you're into contracting - which is what I did, the hourly rates are really really low compared to some of the other places I've been. You will be lucky if you can get 50.00 an hour.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:13 AM

1 posts, read 801 times
hilliard is nice, too. Very similar to Beavercreek although Beavercreek would probably compare itself to Dublin

Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 AM

239 posts, read 803,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
hilliard is nice, too. Very similar to Beavercreek although Beavercreek would probably compare itself to Dublin
Isn't Centerville the Dayton suburb that would be considered the most similar to Dublin?

Old 07-25-2010, 04:52 PM

133 posts, read 490,694 times
If I can add my 2 cents...I agree that Gahanna or New Albany would be good choices. New Albany's home prices seem to be a little higher than in Gahanna, but it just all depends on what neighborhood you choose. However, if you do look at New Albany be advised that there are several neighborhoods that are within the Columbus City school district so you will want to do your research on that. (Most of those neighborhoods are near North Hamilton Rd. )

My best friend lives in Gahanna and she has a 13 year old son in Gahanna schools and she graduated from Gahanna schools as well. She claims she won't live anywhere else

Good luck!!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,708 times
I'm another NOVA/DC Metro transplant to Ohio. I'm an Army Brat (Dad served 28 years in the Army) and we lived in NOVA for 16 years, so I'm very used to diversity & living in different places. I met my wife, got married, and her job sent us to Columbus.

We lived in New Albany for a while and really liked the area... and we miss it. However, we wanted to buy a house and the New Albany houses were $$$$ and friends of ours have been trying to sell their condo for almost 2 years. It's hard to sell when everything looks like it came out of the same cookie-cutter.

After looking at 50-some-odd houses all around the Columbus metro area, we found "the" house in Hilliard. There's no way in h___ we'd be able to afford this house if we still lived in NOVA... I'd easily value it at 2-3 times more, if in NOVA. Next to New Albany, Hilliard has some of the highest ranked schools and we really like the neighborhood. Hilliard has all sorts of communities and decent priced houses. For us it was being closer to I-70 that was important (she commutes to Reynoldsburg and I commute to Dayton). Dublin was a close second, but at the time there weren't many houses within our price range for sale.

Talk to your family & friends. Ask them for a good & PATIENT realtor (or randomly find a good one like we did).

I had a hard time landing an IT job with my qualifications in Columbus, so that's why I work in Dayton. Sure the drive sometimes stinks, but it's a matter of perspective. In NOVA it took 1 to 1.5 hours to drive 30 miles in bumper-to-bumper traffic (and God help you if there was an accident). Now it takes me approx 1 hour to drive 62 miles on wide-open highway, each way.

Good luck to you! At least you have family in the area to assist!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,890,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfalcons86 View Post
Isn't Centerville the Dayton suburb that would be considered the most similar to Dublin?
I'd say Beavercreek is a mix of Worthington and Hillard minus Worthington's charming downtown but with more shopping and commercial businesses than Hillard. This is because there are many older neighborhoods in Beavercreek, but also a lot of new development across multiple price points. Beavercreek does have better traffic control and road layouts than Hillard (i.e. Hillard-Rome Rd north of I-70). Parts of Centerville, Washington Township are like Dublin and Springboro and Clearcreek Township are like New Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus